New Member, original owner '88 Conquest

milld01

I recently joined the Starquest club. I found the site a couple of years ago, and now have joined. I used info from the site to get my '88 Conquest back on the road.

I purchased it new in Jan. 1988. It's a Bright Red, 5 speed, with black leather seats, Special handling package, carpet protectors and auto temp controls. I had the dealer instal Mopar louvers before I brought it home. It now has 82k miles. I Autocrossed it extensivily in the 1990's.

Modification include: a cat-back exhaust, K&N air filter, racing rear struts, 6-disk CD player in the trunk, a set of ARE wheels and tires for the street with racing tires on the SPH rims, and trailer hitch for pulling light weight trailer with racing tires and supplies. All mods from the 1990's and limited by "Stock" class rules of SCCA.

It set for 3 years with a blown clutch slave cylinder. Not a hard or expensive fix, but other life commitment took priority. I got part numbers for the stainless steel clutch line from this site and used this site as motivation to get it back on the road. It's spent most of it's life stored indoors, so vary little rust. Paint is faded from sitting 3 years outside and needs cleaned up and louver are faded and need repainted. Interior is good with exception of the leather shiffter boot. Only other repairs beside routine maintenance are replaced A/C compressor, rear struts, and power anteana. I did see I had a rod bearing recall done shortly after I bought it (forgot about that one).

I will try to figure out how to reduce the size of my pictures so that I can post them.

I traded in my 1985 Conquest (that I purchased new) for this one, so I have been a Conquest owner since 1985! I loved the '85 but had to have the 188 hp of the "new" intercooled engine, wide body, larger tires.

Anybody else on here purchase two New Conqust?

Lol, there are a few other origional owners around here, but Im not one of them. Photobucket.com is a great free site to host all of your pictures from and there are apps to transfer pics straight from your iphone or droid phone (if you use one) to your account. Then you just copy/paste the img code into the text of your post and your pic shows up. Welcome to the site and read up on the SQC faq's, they will walk you thru most of the sites nuances. Cheers,

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Welcome! Actually... I didn't purchase it @ the time, but saw this new trick looking "mini vette" (1st impession) on a car carrier on the road. Followed it to the dealer, waited till it was unloaded, & took a look.WOW! but @ that time, it was quite expensive & I was a die hard v-8 American muscle guy. (as far I was concerned this car only had 1/2 of an engine :o ) so I didn't get into them until some years later. Have a few, (1) that I purchased some 17+ years ago is my current DD. There are several on here that have had them since new, they'll probably chime in... ENJOY!

Welcome! This site has helped me a LOAD. Since I got the car I had a TERRIBLE time finding parts for my 88 Mitsu. But then I found this site and it's been an INSANELY huge help.

I am the SECOND owner of my Starion but it has stayed in the family since birth in March of 88! My mother was the first owner and in 98 she let it sit in the weeds for ten or so years. It was pulled out and started once within those ten years to find that the gas tank was rusted out which caused it to sit for the total of ten years until I got tired of seeing the poor thing rotting and I started the project up and it's been love at first sight :blush: Two engines later and it's my DD with lots of power behind it and it has refused to leave me stranded (after the 50 or so previous times it HAS) :rolleyes:

Never let go of the 88! They're only getting more and more rare from the appetite of the crusher :unsure: Enjoy!

- Charles

Hey u need to attend attend the biannual meets at wrngwae's place in LaPorte Ind. Its always a good time !.Im also an original owner. It was love at first sight while attending college. Ive always loved the look of the Porsche 944s, but couldnt afford them. I also have an 88 starion w/ less than 60000 miles. miles r pretty low because it sat in many shops getting worked on. I dd it except when it snows or rains. Anyways welcome to the club. Hope to see u soon!

Welcome to the site!!

Would love to see pictures of your car. Do you have any old pictures from the 90's when you auto-x'd or perhaps when you bought it new?? Those are my favorite kind of pics to see.

If you haven't seen this yet, take a look: How to post pictures from Photobucket

-Robert

I'll try to get some pics posted soon. Problem is everything from the 90's is film. I'll have to scan or take digital pic of the pic. I have one auto-x pic that I have done that to already. I'll try to post it as soon as I vsn find some spare time.

As requested, here are some pictures. Sorry about the quality, these are all I have in digital format right now. This is a current picture. The other was from 1992.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q648/milld01/IMG_2928_zpscec543fb.jpg

Always loved Fort Knox, was always able to run good there. #1 reason, it was on airport runways, so it was narrow and long. No silly hairpins to slow you down, just high speed slaloms and chicanes. #2 I could always drive right to the limits on the asphalt. Don't know what was different about asphalt, but the Conquest loved it. Was able to drive to the limits with the 10% tire slip, car just 4-wheel drifted around corners, no oversteer, no understeer. The closest I can describe it is it felt like you were driving on ice, just on the edge of control!

Hey Mild , sorry about delayed answer. Last year we had the meets in the spring and and fall. Wrongwae hosts the meets so I would keep a lookout for his next planned meet. If u check out archived meets you'll see how it grows each time.Its always a great time! Those guys share a wealth of knowledge!

• 3 months later...