Power lock actuators and loom

Starsky

Really? I haven't heard of that one. I thought all cars were loaded in 88 (aside from a few major options)

-N8

HMmmm... me too? I have an OEM window sticker for my 88', when I get a chance, I'm gonna take a look.

Power door locks were standard, not an option on StarQuests. The doors operate together whenever one is locked/unlocked with a key or by manually sliding the switch behind the inside door handle. Locking also activates the alarm system, as indicated by the green light on the insturment cluster. What is your car not doing?

Thanks to everyone for your replies, sorry for not responding sooner, I have been away for a few days.

The car I have is not a US model (which I believe has power locking as standard), it is a UK model, none of which had power locking, which is why I need the whole setup.

There are a few subtle differences between the US and UK models (apart from the obvioius main one), this is one of them, also the tailights are different (speaking of which, I need a RHS tailight too, but am hoping to get a matching one to what I have so not expecting anyone here to have one...).

Thanks again :)

I retrofitted my 83 with door locks, I had to setup actuators in the door, and setup a remote control system. If you have access to a set of doors with actuators, or you can get the factory actuators, that will work better than aftermarket ones. then all you have to do is hook it up to an aftermarket remote system.

I ended up replacing my doors with newer ones that had actuators (instead of the aftermarket ones, and they work a lot better).

If you want it to operate like the factory locks, then you will probably have to hunt down a lot of parts, wiring harness, actuators (and you will need to drill/tap a hole in the door), and possibly the ECU, im not sure if its part of that system, but it might be. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

Yeah, I used to fit aftermarket actuators in a previous job that I had years ago, fitting car alarms and car audio. I have seen Starions over here fitted with these and while they work well enough, they are noisy and clunky. I didn't even know that the US spec came with the factory fitted actuators until I went in one that had been imported here a few years back. As you would expect, the factory fitted actuators work beautifully and relatively quietly.

I know pretty much what I need (actuators and looms from inside the doors). Not sure if there is an interface inside the car, or whether the interface (relays etc) are built inside the actuators themselves. Either way, if I have to build an interface I can do that, and given I am fully restoring a car top to toe, I have the doors off anyway, so adding new wiring into the factory loom connection between the door and the car (where the power window wiring is in my car) isn't going to be a problem.

I just need to find the parts I need!

God, all this talk about them makes me want to rip out my retro-fitted generic ones and get the factory ones! You're spot on about the aftermarket ones being a bit loud and clunky.