NikoFab JDM Rear Hatch Spoiler: GP Closed

NikoFab

Ok good questions.

First, lets look at a characteristics comparison between the two, and then weigh in on what we each consider our opportunity cost here. I want to make what you guys want, but we have to heed what both Burton and MotoCam have both stated, and be seated in reality regarding cost.

Acrylic: (polymethyl methacrylate)

- less expensive than lexan

- less impact resistant than lexan (approximately 20-25 times more impact resistant than glass)

- less likely to scratch than lexan

- less pliable than lexan

- does not yellow over time

- better clarity

Lexan: (polycarbonate)

- more expensive than acrylic (2-4 times)

- more impact resistant than acrylic (approximately 30 times more impact resistant than glass)

- more likely to scratch than acrylic, and therefore requires a protective coating to be added

- more pliable than acrylic

- yellows over time due to ultraviolet rays

- poorer clarity and lightens/milkens over time

Now lets look at some observations regarding these characteristics, and how they apply to our group buy:

1. When this was originally suggested by Frenchi934, the general response was that it would sell well at $150 but at $200 or more then it wasn't worth it...so price was/is the overwhelming driving force behind members' interest in this item.

2. As far as standing up to road debris, etc. Lexan is marginally better than Acrylic. Burton's fog lenses sit right on the front of the car about a foot off the ground...smack dab in the line of fire so to speak. This spoiler sits along the trailing edge of the vehicle, well out of the same line of fire. Acrylic is more prone to checking and splintering than Lexan, which I have accounted for by increasing the gauge of the material, as well as producing a better mounting bracket.

3. Acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan. Lexan would require a protective coating or paint in order to attain the same resistance as Acrylic, adding even more expense to the Lexan option. I don't know about you guys, but I would hate to see what a little bit of abrasive that got caught in my car wash sponge would do to unprotected Lexan.

4. Lexan is more pliable than Acrylic, but that advantage is negligible in an item which doesn't move.

5. Lexan yellows over time...Acrylic doesn't. I'm not sure I need to elaborate any further on this point. Lexan also lightens and milkens (blurs) over time and Acrylic doesn't. What's the point of getting smoked lexan when the "smoke" fades away?

I tried seeing what we could do with Lexan, and for the price point, it just doesn't make sense and can't be done. Burton suggested in his post that he might be able to do a Lexan version a little over $200.00 (note his reference to the cost of the MK1 FRP US-Spec version priced at $199.00). In my humble opinion, I think a more realistic estimate of a Lexan version to be above $250.00.

These are great questions you asked, and I hope this information helps in your decision making process. At the end of the day, I think we all want a good product at a good price. In my opinion, Acrylic is the way to do that in this application.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick, thanx for addressing my questions; like a true interested member/professional!

With all said, I believe, I'm a believer. Press forward... please keep me listed as prior, & keep me posted. Thanx for spell'n it out. Keep that doggy roll'n... ;)

Wow, what a well thought out reply and discussion. Zacman, you're freaking invaluable to this project. If I had a USDM one, I'd ship it to you for your help (and so you could be USDM tight y0).

Nick, thanx for addressing my questions; like a true interested member/professional!

With all said, I believe, I'm a believer. Press forward... please keep me listed as prior, & keep me posted. Thanx for spell'n it out. Keep that doggy roll'n... ;)

you're very welcome sir! i will and i shall :D

Wow, what a well thought out reply and discussion. Zacman, you're freaking invaluable to this project. If I had a USDM one, I'd ship it to you for your help (and so you could be USDM tight y0).

thank you sir. i believe that if i'm to expect people to trust me with the $$$, they need to know that this isn't just going to be a fly-by-night type of deal. i'm a new guy here, and want to make sure that i develop a good reputation.

and yes, ZacMan has been THE MAN

Edited by Nikolaya

gentlemen,

i will get started making these as soon as i can purchase the material. so that i may make the bulk order purchase necessary to get the price point we're looking for, a deposit of $75.00 per set is going to be necessary. I'd love to be able to front it all on my own, but i gotta keep the lights on too!

completed sets will be shipped in accordance with the order in which deposits are received and final payments made. my PayPal address is nick@sobehouston.com i am a confirmed member so you have no worries. also, if you'd like to check out my Ebay profile (and feedback), it is nick0652...I know i'd like to know a little about somebody i'm sending money to!

please include your Starquestclub profile name in the notes section of the payment. it would also help me out if you could PM me when you send payment.

i will put up pics of the process as it comes along, so that you can see the quality, fit and finish, etc.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Nikolaya

Put me down for one and I'll go ahead and send the deposit so I dont forget to do it later. I like what you're doing here, atta boy to you and ZMan and all involved. Cheers,

BC_99

edit: paypal deposit sent.

Edited by BC_99

Put me down for one and I'll go ahead and send the deposit so I dont forget to do it later. I like what you're doing here, atta boy to you and ZMan and all involved. Cheers,

BC_99

yes sir you're on the list...thank you! :D

BC_99

edit: paypal deposit sent.

deposit receipt confirmed...thank you sir. glad we were able to put something really great together for everybody. this has certainly been a group effort what with the help from ZacMan, Frenchi, Natallica, and everyone putting in good info and opinions

Edited by Nikolaya

Cool to see more items being made available!! I hope this turns out as well as I hope.

I have a lexan "us spec" old school design. It is 20+yrs old and has not cracked, it has not yellowed nor has it turned a milky white color (lucky for me). Personally, I think that the lexan being flexable is a good thing... Like when i wash my rear window and bump my spoiler - it flexes. Same with if its below zero outside and water/snow accumulate on the window/lexan - its very forgiving when chipping away at it with a ice scarper.

How do you think the acrylic hold up in continuous freezing temps?

Cool to see more items being made available!! I hope this turns out as well as I hope.

I have a lexan "us spec" old school design. It is 20+yrs old and has not cracked, it has not yellowed nor has it turned a milky white color (lucky for me). Personally, I think that the lexan being flexable is a good thing... Like when i wash my rear window and bump my spoiler - it flexes. Same with if its below zero outside and water/snow accumulate on the window/lexan - its very forgiving when chipping away at it with a ice scarper.

How do you think the acrylic hold up in continuous freezing temps?

thank you sir. again, the driving force for this project is cost. both materials have pros/cons...the pros for acrylic outweigh those of lexan in this specific situation.

anyway, to answer your question...

"Heat Resistance - The maximum "continuous service temperature" of acrylic is between 180 degrees F and 200 degrees F depending on the particular use. This means that while the material can withstand higher temperatures for very short periods of time, it will soften and lose its form or shape if subjected to these higher temperatures for any period of time. While acrylics respond to heat, they are not affected by cold, and will not become cracked or brittle in cold weather."

(taken from www.eplastics.com the link is here: http://www.eplastics...exiglas-Acrylic)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Nikolaya

I do love that video, hmmm, nice car, sexy wheels.

Nikolaya: I'm not sure how you're getting on with measurements of the actual spoiler itself, but I've taken some reference photos incase they might be handy. I've tried to keep the measurements shown in inches for you guys, but my tape measure is only in metric alas, but I'm sure you can deal with that :). Let me know if there are any specific photos or measurement your need and I'll get on it. I'm going away for the weekend though, so wont be able to snap any pics till monday.

I'll give modelling it in solidworks a go, but it's been a few years since I've done any work using that program, so I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off... No promises, but I'll try.

Central support, that isnt actally central. Its offset a little to one side, to allow the water from the rear washer to flow down unimpeeded

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260018.jpg

Measuring the overall length:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260006.jpg

Long (rear) side length:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260007.jpg

Short (front) side length:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260009.jpg

Overall spoiler width, with bracket hole locations:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260019.jpg

Distance between bolt holes, setup, then detail:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260020.jpg

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260021.jpg

Somewhat ambiguous measurement that could be helpful somewhere?

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260022.jpg

End profile tracings, to measure the angle of the bend:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/P7260023.jpg

Edited by ZacMan

Just watching that video again Frenchi, that starion has the cool little wind deflectors on the doors, would love a set of those, so cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3sGCnTXEw&feature=related

here is a video of a "conquest" in japan. The video doesnt show the hatch spoiler much but it provides several views of it.

you know, i've seen that video before a while ago...and i never noticed the spoiler. thanks Tyler for posting that back up so i could see it again!