microsquirt anyone?

Hey guys,

Wanted to see what your thoughts were on microsquirt. Going to be stepping up in turbo size and headers. Using a MAFT right now. I was looking at the SAFC or the NEO but for a hundred bucks more the microsquirt is available.

Curious as to what else would be needed to run microsquirt. I know there needs to be a signal from either a crank trigger or a distributor that has a tach out (magna distributor?)

Just need more information if anyone has it.

Thanks,

L

Why spend the money on microsquirt when a full megasquirt setup is not significantly more money? A new microsquirt unit is over $300. You can pickup used MS2 systems on ebay for around the same price. I know that the community here is very helpful with megasquirt setup and troubleshooting. Many aren't familiar with the microsquirt hardware. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

Why spend the money on microsquirt when a full megasquirt setup is not significantly more money? A new microsquirt unit is over $300. You can pickup used MS2 systems on ebay for around the same price. I know that the community here is very helpful with megasquirt setup and troubleshooting. Many aren't familiar with the microsquirt hardware.

I completely agree!

You would be better off in the long run just buying an MSI or II. Much easier to upgrade for extra functions than the Micro. Build it youself and save a bunch of coin ;)

If you use whatever controller you buy as fuel only you can use the MSD tach out. If you choose to run ignition control, and you should, you will have to use a tach out not associated with the CDI. The stock tach out from the stock distributor is fine if you use the VR (variable reluctor) circuit, you'd just have to run shielded cable all the way to the controller instead of the factory shielded cable to the ignitior. OR you can choose to use a VR conditioner circuit and place it in the old ignitor box, then you can use the factory wiring. OR you can substitute the CR 125 ignition pickup, do some minor rewiring and get a 0-12V square wave tach signal out.

Megasquirt is so powerful, you do have to know what you want or the power becomes confusion.

Thanks guys,

K, ms it is. My concern is hiiking it up. Total newb when it comes to ms. I need to read a tutorial on exactly what I need.

Lance, if you want to stay TB. Scott87star sells plug and play megaquirt ecus for throttlebody.

Cool,

I can pm him on a price, thanks bro.

L

Lance,, you know i will help ya any way i can. heck if i can do it you can,,,,,,and im an idiot.......... lol

Your far from it brother. Maybe I can pick up the list of what i need and shoot down to your place on a saturday and we can do it together.

L

Well said Scott. People need to know that even with plug n play there are certain things that need attention/modification.

MS can and will do everything you need. It will also require homework on your part. A lot of it. No one should run a system that they don't completely understand.

The learing curve is steep but in the end it's all very worth it.

Go MS and there are plenty of us here to help as long as you are willing to learn.

Btw ... I'm 96% sure you aren't an idiot :)

hahaha,,,,, gotta love it Lance. i just figured with all that fancy stereo set up you have,,,, you would mind a little wiring.....

Lol, no, the wiring I can definitely handle. Just not sure exactly what I need outside the ms system. New distributor? Or if I pick up a 6 al msd then I can keep the stock dizzy? But then I née a tach adapter? Not quite sure of the hit list yet.

I think the most common way to upgrade to MS is using a CR125 ignition pickup (Autozone website, search cr 125) in the factory dizzy with the advances locked out, MSD 6xx with 8910 tach adapter, GM open element IAT and the megasquirt itself. That gives you a reliable system you can drive anywhere with the ability to make as much HP as your wallet can stand.