Muffler build: tunable twin baffles

Convette

So I finally got a set of c6 z06 mufflers with the vacuum butterfly valves. Only problem was, I only need the baffles, so I cut them out and rewelded the tips back on. Payed 300, sold for 300. Picked up some 4" pipe to use as the muffler canister. Got some perferated flat sheets and made tubes and cones out of them. Just need to weld it up and pack it with material..? (not sure what to use yet) Mostly all I can find is motorcycle muffler stuff..any ideas? I hope this makes some sort of difference in sound, not trying to get pulled over a lot in cali...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1923.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1928.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1929.jpg

So with them open it will be free flowing straight through. when they are closed, it will go out through the packing material and around the valve, then out the dumps. Should be kinda cool and instant (going to set it up to open at anything over 1/2 throttle) I just hope it quiets it down a little bit when they are closed...

So far I have $26 invested in them..

I'd use the motorcycle muffler packing. However, in most applications I've seen, the packing is not placed in direct exhaust flow path and is instead used in a flow-through design to help attenuate pulses.

What I recommend doing is placing packing in the first section of the muffler, but leave it a flow-through design. Install a solid disc type baffle around the perforated tube an inch or two before the valves so that there is a clear, but slightly obstructed path for exhaust to flow through. This should help generate some back pressure which will even out the pressure pulses and reduce the sound levels. If it's still too loud, you could install additional discs with holes or ports to further obstruct the exhaust flow. Meanwhile, the packing is still free to do its job as well.

Once the valve opens... well, you've got a nice glass pack. :)

Yeah I know glass packs use fiberglass (hence the name) and resonators usually use stainless steel mesh IIRC. Either way I would think going through the material wouldn't work too well but it's a neat concept. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

if it's blowing though it.... it will just blow it out. YOu need to put some mesh in there to hold it in, but when it gets old and breaks up it will come out just like glass packs.

and did you say this was for calli? You can't have anything modified there from what I have seen, you will get pulled over for sure.

might as well sell your car, your not going to be able to afford the tickets.. not to mention a swapped drivetrain? oh my, nevermind, they'll probably just confiscate the whole damn thing and crush it. I turned down a job offer because they said I'd have to move to Cali and then I couldn't have my cars.

Disclaimer: this may be just the image I perceive from hearsay, but that's what I have gathered from media and people posting about the craziness that cali smog has produced

might as well sell your car, your not going to be able to afford the tickets.. not to mention a swapped drivetrain? oh my, nevermind, they'll probably just confiscate the whole damn thing and crush it. I turned down a job offer because they said I'd have to move to Cali and then I couldn't have my cars.

Disclaimer: this may be just the image I perceive from hearsay, but that's what I have gathered from media and people posting about the craziness that cali smog has produced

Since Jon used a LS1 package, he should be alright. They may sweat the intake into the throttle body and the exhaust, but I'd be surprised if he couldn't find a place that'd pass it. The other key thing is that emissions in California are by county. If you're really lucky, you'll be in a county that is more lax.

i wasnt aware the vettes ran the valves. i had been kicking this idea around using some old junkyard throttle bodies and maybe a solenoid of some sort to open them. hadnt really gotten past the idea of it tho. i especially want to do this to my dump pipe right off the downpipe. with it open it shows me a solid 25 hp gain on the dyno.

cool deal, i love some home spun innovation. keep up the good work.

Yah no one in cali mods their cars, we all surf, hug trees and smoke weed too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good so far, can't wait to hear it. ^ was thinking the same thing, I never got hassled when my car was my daily. It had a 3 inch y pipe to one resonator and that was it. The only time i got pulled over was after a friend of mine drifted a really wide s turn right in front of a cop and i pulled away. An officer got me like 3 blocks down, first thing he asked was what motor it had? I told him stock 4 cylinder haha, he said don't bs with me so told him it had an ls1. He then went no way!, can i see it? popped the hood, he said you do good work and then let me go. It really just depends on the officer.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm still designing it, and now with the move it'll be put on the back burner till I get settled out there. I'm going to keep my car reg'd in mi for as long as I can so that I can still drive it. I want to be able to kill mountains again without sounding like a nascar.... Lol I'll have to upload a sketch to be a little more clear on how it's going to work. When I took the car apart I saved the vacuum valves that control the shutters and stuff for the heating and cooling controls. Its actually really simple, when powers sent to it, it opens allowing vacuum to close the baffles, when it's closed the baffles open cause they are spring loaded... And it's instant much faster than electric cut outs. I just need to run the lines. Edited by Convette