Any body deal in air compressors for a living, know alot about them, or know an informative site?

Burton

The time has come to think about a heavy duty air compressor system for the new shop. Until now, I just used the biggest 110V compressors I could find, as I didn't have the ability to run 220 to my garage. They never held up for more than 3-4 years with lots of daily use, but I could always find them pretty cheap.

The shop is all set up for 220 and I am plumbing lines thruout the building. I was initially thinking about getting a standard reciprocating type compressor that was good quality, and plenty big, probably a 80 gallon 2 stage. They seem to be in the $1500-2000 range.

Then, a few friends told me I need to get a screw type instead because they would be more industrial grade than hobby shop grade. I don't have any employees, so I doubt I'd only ever run more than one airtool at a time unless a buddy was over working on a car at the same time I was painting or something. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the ability to do so. Painting, and using air grinders and sanders consume lots of air, so the better the system keeps up, the happier I'll be. That being said, these are considerably more expensive. Also some seem to require storage tanks and some don't.

Then, another friend and I were talking about compressors, and he knew I had a couple old 110V compressors that died on me. He told me I could get a seprate "air pump", and hook it into my air lines, then place the tanks from my old compressors at various places around the shop and plumb them into the lines to be my storage tanks. He seems to think I could get this sort of setup for less than $1000. So I looked around I can't really find much of anything about air pumps other than stuff to pump up bike tires and balls.

This is not something I'm going to cheap out on. I want an outstanding system setup that can keep up with anything I may do, and then some.That being said, I don't want to buy WAY more than I need, and like most everyone else, I want what will work for me for the most inexpensive way possible.

So, I have 150' of 1/2" lines throughout the shop, 2 33 gallon tanks from dead compressors, and my neighbor also has a 60-80 gallon tank from a dead compressor that I could get for hella cheap or free if I need it.

So what kind of system will get me the best bang for my buck? Anyone have killer setups in their shops, or friends who do? Anyone know of an informative site that discusses all the different setups and the pros and cons to each?

Thanks in advance for any help.

rotary screw is the best when it comes to efficiency but the cost is high---I sell Ingersoll for standard compressors and Kaeser for screwtype----check out kaeser.com and see what they have to offer---German companies know how to build things that last----it would be the last compressor u will ever purchase---after you check em out if ur interested i can talk to my kaeser rep and see who u would contact down there in the big TEX and maybe get u a better deal---lmk

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Kaeser was one of the brands I researched, after I saw them on an episode of West Coast Customs a couple weeks ago. I would love to get one of their setups, but they are also about the most expensive. Plus, I'm still learning the ins and outs of what I need pressure and CFM-wise, but even the smaller Kaeser stups seem to be a litle bit overkill. Like I said, I want more than I need, I just don't want WAY more than I need.

Ingersoll was the standard compressor brand I was looking at the most, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I'd get if I get a standard compressor.

Oh, another issue is space. I need something fairly compact. and quiet. I don't have a lot of spare room in my shop, although I do have places I could plumb in the tanks I already have. If I get a big, noisy unit I will have to build a compressor room off the side of the shop to keep valuble concrete space, and still be able to hear my stereo.

Since you know Ingersoll and Kaeser , could maybe get me a couple of links to the units you sell that you think would work the best for the setup I'm looking for? I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure any average salesman from either company I were to speak to would probably try and steer me towards something way more than I'm looking for.

Edited by Burton

Burton. i deal in industrial refrigeration. and have 3 screw compressors. but i have also seen and had some small dealings with screw air compressors too. you will probably not want a screw type air compressor. they are made to start and run........not cycle. we had one in a truck garage here i used to work and trhe dang thing kept shearing the love-joy,,,,,,, because it would cycle several times a day..... its not designed for that. i would get a nice 2 stage Ingersol Rand upright that will fit your cfm needs. what do most of your tools use for cfm? the owners manuals should tell you... than how many tools will you be using ant any one given time? that should give you a good baseline. than,,,,,,,double it. just to be safe. never know where your business will take you...

http://www.factoryau...-7.5-25-FPC.asp

Edited by wrngwae

I've learned alot about compressors from the garagejournal.com. Great site overall, and addictive :) There are some folks there that have bought thier own heads or rebuilt old ones and then paired it with a motor to get a certian performance. There is also a lot of advice about plumbing shop systems.

There is a company here in St.Louis called Curtis that makes compressors and is pretty well thought of. They build both screw and the reciprocating large piston, low rpm type pumps that are desirable for heavy use.

mm

Mark I bought my compressor from a local source thru compressed air systems out of Tx. Its an 80 gal 220 v 5 horse unit and keeps up well with grinders cut off wheels ect.

As for the extra tanks, the more volume of air your system can store, the less times it will have to run but it will have to run longer to fill the tanks each time it does run. I was also told that larger line size can also be used to hold more volume of air. I have 1 inch pipe run thru my shop and it's necked down at the couplers. You don't have to space the extra tanks out for them to work, just run them in a line. From you compressor tank to storage tank 1 to tank 2, to 3, and so on and from the last storage tank to your shop lines. I'm sure you already know plenty about using water traps, regulators , ect but I bought a complete setup from northern tools that has the trap, regulator, and system oiler all in one neat unit for around $120. I also was told that it's a good idea to put in an on/ off valve outside as well as inside the shop so you can cut the pressure from the tanks to lines as needed for service and safety. Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions or want more info. Cheers,

BC_99

Mark I bought my compressor from a local source thru compressed air systems out of Tx. Its an 80 gal 220 v 5 horse unit and keeps up well with grinders cut off wheels ect.

As for the extra tanks, the more volume of air your system can store, the less times it will have to run but it will have to run longer to fill the tanks each time it does run. I was also told that larger line size can also be used to hold more volume of air. I have 1 inch pipe run thru my shop and it's necked down at the couplers. You don't have to space the extra tanks out for them to work, just run them in a line. From you compressor tank to storage tank 1 to tank 2, to 3, and so on and from the last storage tank to your shop lines. I'm sure you already know plenty about using water traps, regulators , ect but I bought a complete setup from northern tools that has the trap, regulator, and system oiler all in one neat unit for around $120. I also was told that it's a good idea to put in an on/ off valve outside as well as inside the shop so you can cut the pressure from the tanks to lines as needed for service and safety. Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions or want more info. Cheers,

BC_99

I like what BC_99 wrote,

and I would like to add an oil free compressor motor doesn't last as long as one with oil (screw or piston.)

Kaeser was one of the brands I researched, after I saw them on an episode of West Coast Customs a couple weeks ago. I would love to get one of their setups, but they are also about the most expensive. Plus, I'm still learning the ins and outs of what I need pressure and CFM-wise, but even the smaller Kaeser stups seem to be a litle bit overkill. Like I said, I want more than I need, I just don't want WAY more than I need.

Ingersoll was the standard compressor brand I was looking at the most, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I'd get if I get a standard compressor.

Oh, another issue is space. I need something fairly compact. and quiet. I don't have a lot of spare room in my shop, although I do have places I could plumb in the tanks I already have. If I get a big, noisy unit I will have to build a compressor room off the side of the shop to keep valuble concrete space, and still be able to hear my stereo.

Since you know Ingersoll and Kaeser , could maybe get me a couple of links to the units you sell that you think would work the best for the setup I'm looking for? I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure any average salesman from either company I were to speak to would probably try and steer me towards something way more than I'm looking for.

the SX series of KAESER is all I have ever sold-----they are super quiet to begin with and they also offer a muffler system that quiets them even more---Kaeser also will come to ur shop and sit with you----you tell them what u will most likely have for air equiptment and they will map out a system for you----when it comes to Ingersoll the 2475n7.5 is what I have sold recently---7.5hp 80gal tank s/s valves,aftercooler and auto drain---if ur that worried bout the noise build a little shed outside and just pipe into the shop then u barely hear anything---

gig out

Check craigslist for a good used unit. The one I have I got for free from a shop that was closing it's doors. It'a a 40 year old compressor that's still going strong today. It has more than enough power to run the biggest air tools. Also the 100 gallon tank provides lots of air to work with before I have to turn the compressor on to refill it.

Also running a higher pressure makes all your tools more powerful and the air supply lasts longer between cycle times.

Develbiss 100 gallon 15 HP 4 piston 2 stage 240 volt set to 175 psi

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Junk/PIC_0508.jpg

me i'd pick up a system i can afford and run for a while , it's easy to go over board at first , once your solidly set and going strong you can always up grade the air system , or double up compresors , the main thing is to keep your over head down untill you can

see what the future holds for you and the bussiness

most shops fail due to over extending them selves in the first few years and failing to keep funds in the bank for operateing costs ,

that sounds easy but in truth it's very hard to do

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't responded much to this, and thanks to everyone for all the info.

I ended up trading a buddy a wood planer I had for a 60 gallon, 5hp 220v unit that's pretty old but has a new electric motor. I still have to get it hooked up and make sure it works before the deal will be final, but this was working when it was pulled out of a tire shop 6 months ago.

I'll probably get a better unit in a couple years, but for now this should work great and it doesn't cost me a dime since I had nothing into the planer.

Shelby, other than a loan for part of my shop (I didn't just have $40k lying around), everything I buy for my business is bought with cash. I have an inventory of parts already made and paid for, just waiting for new owners to buy them from me. I have extra stock of all the vinyl I use for decals and headlight/tail light tints, as well as extra Lexan and mesh stock for my other products. I really don't have much overhead cost- just materials, insurance, and electricity costs.

I'm cleaning out some car parts, cars, and other items I've collected over the years to help generate funds to outfit the shop so it's good to go to start doing restorations and such. that's where the money for the air compressor was coming from. I'm thinking now I'll spend the air compressor money on a two post lift or a rotisserie.

Of course, I'll wait til the baby gets here and make sure I don't need that money for something else LOL

In my garage I have put IR type 30, fully packaged with after cooler and auto drains 12 outlets 4 drip legs in 2 branches that I can run different pressures on each of the side ( 175 unregulated for one and regulated to another half)

Voltage: 220/230, but keep in mind if you are on a single phase you would be limited to 7.5 HP motor. If you have 3 phase it would be perhaps in a long run more economical to go with 3 phase.

I would steer you away from screw compressors for shop air, unless you need higher pressure that screw can develop. I am not affiliated with any brand, heck I usually spec/buy equipment.

Oilless-junky compressors...I put my compressor about the same time my FD decided to put new compressors in to the stations (3). I voiced my concern. Well I am low on the tandem pole. 4 years later at some point ALL 3 compressors ( husky 60 gal $700 compressors) have failed. I know for fact 2 motors and compressor itself + switch at one station pump at another and I believe pressure switch. Mind you these compressors primarily utilized to plug the air brakes in and inflating the tires. So could not have too many hours. My type 30 has 3 oil changes and filter changes. I used from sand blasting, sprinkler blow out ( 14 zones) to running various air tools.

I am a firm believer in buying quality equipment vs cheap crap and constantly repairing/replacing.

you need to know your cfm requirements, are you going to use for painting? do you need an air drier? or do you need in-line oilers? Design plumbing with drip legs, so you can drain condensation. Do not use PVC tubing for plumbing.

Hope this helps… type 30 is loud, but bearable, heck I jump more when auto drain purges…

Edited by ilber