Pop ups wont pop down

OBSESSIVE_ENT.

Hey everybody I kno this was covered but ive looked through all the post and cant find the anser. my pop ups wont go down the spring up when the lights are truned on but thats it. ive taken apart the cluster for the pop up and cleaned the coper terinals. ive jiggled/manuvered the button. ive traced the wire out to the engine bay and it got lost in the bundle by the fire wall. the pop up fuse under the dash isnt blown. and the motors arent seized (the hand knob turns freely). there is no clicking or clacking from the cylenoids. I was looking at some of professor quests posts and so far i still cant catch the answer. any hints?

Have you cleaned the switches on the right side of the gauge hood? There's one switch there that controls popups too. I remember hearing something about the headlight switch popup control runs through the switch on the right. I may be wrong but it's something to look at.

The pop up switch on the right would have to be stuck closed to keep them up. I had to jump the pins in the plug to GET mine to go up when I had no switches there.But it is definitely true that if they went up at all, the switch is in place and the motors work.Ive accidentally hit the switch and upon turning my lights off to get out of the car cursed profusely that they didnt go down.. it took a minute until I realized the button was pushed.

You can do a quick relay test have the ignition on and have somene sit in the car and operate the switch you should be able to hear the relay when using ther pop up button or turning the head lights on/off. Most cases it the relay. The if that doesnt work check to see it the relay is getting power when you turn them off...if not then its the swith or a fuse. Check fuses first :)

mine has the same issue, i have 4 headlight switches i have tried ( and cleaned) they still wont go down, mine used to go down with the switch wiggle, but no more... where is that realy located? that is def worth a try

mine has the same issue, i have 4 headlight switches i have tried ( and cleaned) they still wont go down, mine used to go down with the switch wiggle, but no more... where is that realy located? that is def worth a try

Is by battery behind cover....

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1180

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Thanks for all the input. Cleaned the right side button as in Prof Quest. Post. But I didn't clean the left. My friend Gill gave me a few left and right switch clusters and no improvement. We checked current to the fuse under the dash. But got no reading (yet horn worked and the factory test light worked maybe the prongs on my tester are caked up). As I said if you manually roll them down with the lights on they flutter then go up. When the right button is pushed I don't hear anything clicking off in the selenoid so maybe there is the problem. We think maybe a ground isn't working. I will look at that PQ link then get new seleenoids. Thanks from all the help.

Its been about a year since I've even been able to look at my starquest or the wiring diagrams, however I know for a fact that there is another possiblility you haven't tested. There is a switch on the dash in front of the driver at about knee level. Without this switch in the headlights cannot be put down. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see it. I'm pretty sure its the dimmer control switch.

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

page 72

its a little hard to follow but theres definately a switch down there that will prevent your pop ups from going down if its not working.

holy crap Ts that may be it cus guess what the dash is off as well as the dimmer switch not connected.

today my homboy Gill and i went back at it we used the switches (left and right) off his working conquest and nada. we switched solinoids and nada i even ran a hot line to the blu and yellow wire and got the solinoids to click but nada. we checked the fusible link box nada. Ts you may have hit it right on the head im printing your link right now and ill jump in it when i get home tonight. thanks.

Thanks for the link to the manual also

Edited by OBSESSIVE_ENT.

ok i connected the dash back (well everything but the clock cig lighter glove box light and a big goose egg. thanks to Ts i have a scematic of it and there is a thing called a passive control relay, in that relay is the line that controls the up and downfunction. soooooooooo i will completely connect every single plug tommorrow and if that dosent work check into this control relay.

thanks again for all the imput

ok just took a look at the pdf, the passive control relay (which another forum side is responsible for pop ups not going down if not conected) is located on the passenger side left knee right next to the radio area It was also the area where i saw one plug not connected. we have a winner!!! maybe. the location is K in the pdf format if im not dead tired ill mess with it after work

Edited by OBSESSIVE_ENT.

That relay is absolutely required for the operation of the pop up. I hadn't noticed that your dash was removed or it might have clicked in my head. When I bought my car my lights wouldnt pop up either and I spent one long night in the dark tracing out every stop on the path with the schematic and found that relay in place, but simply unplugged >.<

Hurrah! !! Its the combination of the blue plug in the k location, the flat black plug by the instrument cluster area aaaannnnd the charge wire (crimp eyelet came UN done ). I have full function of all switchs

Just need to grease the brackets. Now the crappy news my elantra lost all gears this morning lol. Thanks to everyone. For the help