Manga Roller Cam Performance Ideas.

I have a magna stock roller cam and roller rockers in my car now, But I am considering ways to get a bit more performance mainly at the top end and I want some ideas.

I want to keep the stock magna cam, and Hydrolic Roller Lifters (unless really want more then use my race cam and mech setup)

I have:

Stock magna Cam

Set of Magna Roller Rockers 1:54 or something like that ratio (someone please tell me the real ratio)

7.....I hope i can find my 8th Caravan Rollers I belive they are 1:6 ratio if cant find last one maybe can consider idea for mix and match like intake only or exhaust only.

And Adjustable Cam gear.

My Plan:

I am thinking maybe 2 or 3 degree Retarded for higher RPM power band And Caravan Rollers, and just on exhaust side if I cant find my 8th roller. (only exhaust since the ehxuast much underflows my intake side of my head).

What you guys think?

I tried running the magna cam with 1.6 ratio roller rockers and it held the valves off the seats just enough so it wouldn't start, less than 100 psi on the compression tester (my normal is 145-150). I don't think mixing the ratios is the way to go. When you say the exhaust doesn't flow relative to the intake, what do you base that on? Then intake doesn't have nearly the pressure of the exhaust to move gas.

I understand the magna roller rockers to be 1.55 ratio but I have never measured. My magna cam is now running using the 1.5 ratio roller rockers, I forget the Mitsubishi part number for those.

• 1 month later...

The magna cam is NA, not a turbo cam, therefor lack of performance, problems, ect

This is what ive been told.

Edited by Zone

The magna cam specs are exactly those of the stock cam. I have not verified that by physically making the measurements but the performance seems the same.

Less retriction on the exhaust side, instead of port maching the exhaust manifold, step the manifold side larger.

It helps NA engines flow higher numbers, and anything that you can do to improve an NA setup translates the same in FI engines.

NA guys are always are looking for inches, inches add up to feet.

In the same respect FI warriors look for feet that add up to miles.

You can always get a bigger turbo but then your fuel/ air coming in has to be the same ratio.

Edited by Metric-man

• 5 weeks later...

I will also be rolling with a Magna roller cam soon. I'm planning to go with a set of 1.6 roller rockers and will post once I get it set up by my head guy. Hopefully the not sealing issue is able to be dealt with but it may take some adjustments.

As far as performance differences, I spoke at length with TimC about this and at the same duration, a roller goes to full lift sooner and holds longer than the slip lobes, hence more flow. Plus it's smoother. Here's a rough sketch I did last week after thinking it over...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/Cam___Rocker_compare.jpg

Also, Luke,

Tim said the OEM Magan rockers worked well, but by switching to the 1.6 rockers, the lift increases to .480 or .490, which is quite a bit. A full 20% more lift than stock actually. To be honest, I'm not sure I want THAT much lift, given the already great results from the milder TEP 274/272 slip cam that had around .435 lift. The turbo will really do all the work and aside from possibly porting it just a bit more, my setup already flows as much as it can/should. Your race setup would be very different of course. What ever happened to that huge port head you were working on years back?

Anyhow, let's keep in touch and see how this Magna cam setup plays out. I might be interested in your Magna roller rockers and have a set of 1.6 roller rockers if we both end up wanting to/need to swap for our different needs??