Red Starion Progress

Did you have the compressor wheel and turbine wheel balanced together?That's a must!

Like I said before temporary fix, till i can get a new turbo. The back plate is already damaged and so is the turbine shaft..... my old turbine was damage worst and likely wouldn't come close to balancing, where this one is not damage in a way to effect its balance.

It seams that to get the most out of this setup I will need to retard my cam timing a little or use the cam for higher rpm power. Wonder how much I should adjust the cam, maybe 2 or 3 degrees?

Edited by Lizzord30

IMO, You're definitely taking a risk running the turbo like that. If the thing grenades, the engine could suck bits into it and you'd have much bigger problems than a broken turbo. I definitely wouldn't be boosting on a known damaged turbo. Idle tuning is probably ok for the short term, but driving around and boosting it to 14 psi is a bad idea. There are many garrett compressor and turbine wheels for sale on ebay and most turbo shops can balance the set. Just my 2 cents. You've invested a lot in the car and I'm sure you don't want to see something freak happen to it.

IMO, You're definitely taking a risk running the turbo like that. If the thing grenades, the engine could suck bits into it and you'd have much bigger problems than a broken turbo. I definitely wouldn't be boosting on a known damaged turbo. Idle tuning is probably ok for the short term, but driving around and boosting it to 14 psi is a bad idea. There are many garrett compressor and turbine wheels for sale on ebay and most turbo shops can balance the set. Just my 2 cents. You've invested a lot in the car and I'm sure you don't want to see something freak happen to it.

Thanks for your opinion :)

Once I have the money for that I will replace/rebuild/upgrade the turbo and if Rebuilt Will get it Balanced. Actually I am planning on finishing my split tang SS header and want to get a new split tang turbo to go with it. With a new header SS, add second WG(to keep true Split tang), and new turbo. Should be a nice upgrade to do in the future.

wow, you have tons of problems with that thing!

Kind of inherent with a 24yr old 140k car that had owners that abused it..... And then adding twice the power.... :D

Like example the front sway bar mounts and bushings where shot from someone trying to tow the car by the sway bar..... even tho the tow hooks are all their :|

Edited by Lizzord30

• 2 weeks later...
Yea got a new(to me) transmission(auto 89) thanks to Lance! Hope to get it installed on Friday and hoping to get this going back on the road! maybe with the valve body mod already on it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I havent read the whole thread from day one, what turbo are you running?

I am running a Turbonics 60-1 Hifi with a stage 5 T3 exhaust side. My new setup spools the stage 5 as fast as my last one spooled the stage 3. Unfortnalty I still have tranmission issues, and starter also. The new transmission works decently in first 3 gears at first but as i drove it more it got worst, wouldnt go into 1st and od never worked. so mostly just a 2 speed lol 2 and 3rd. I think I have been having slipping almost the whole time on both trans, with exspetion to a short time on my first trans in 3rd. It would feel so much better in 3rd then in 2nd or first when it ever could get into it. So now my plan is yet again over the winter to get it going, rebuild the tranmission and change the starter.

not t4 as in t series

gt turbos come in t4 or t3 too.

Well they have T4 Flang yes but not really the same turbo. And my stage 5 wheel with T3 flange will outflow some T4's Depending on AR Wheel size and whatnot. But really my turbo is undersized, 60-1hifi isnt that great about 10% less flow then 60-1. I wanted to make the car very street able so stock roller cam and smaller turbo, but i may adjust that plan. But still the main problem for now isnt turbo its transmissions. As of right now I have been making more power then the transmissions can hold :(

Just find a low mileage 89 trans, put new fluid in, and go for it. It holds muey mucho power! at least 482 atw. :D

The Manual is deff pretty good but problem is the clutch I have tried like 3 different performance ones and all died but For now manual isnt an option. I do have a race built 700R4 that if nothing works I will got to, and thats built for 800+hp. Of course I dont plan or want that much for this car, and I dont want to drive comfort of a transmission like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Car is now down for more series of changes/upgrades.

To do:

Rebuild Stock 4sp with Performance clutches, keeping the stage one shift mod (Hopefully I will have a good working 1st gear, and a working OD)

Rebuild My turbo.

Replace fuel Filter with highflow one

Install Adjustable FPR

Install 310 intake 295 duration custom cam (ran on blue car worked great) With mechanical slip rockers

Install Profect B spec 2 for some boost control.

Find/Fix exhaust manifold leak.

Make a new set of Spark Plug wires since I have 3 of them and one miss match but I have enof to make a compleat new set, nice getting a v8 kit for a 4cyl lol

Decided no real reason to upgrade the turbo as it had good spool up, plenty of power(more then 2 transmissions would hold, of course they where old warn transmissions) And plenty of power, being the same turbo with a smaller exhaust side got me a 12.4 at only 15psi on my old engine (new engine is making a good deal more).

Basically I want this reliable and make this like it should be stock. Nothing crazy, t3/t4, MPI, and higher compression ratio 8:1-9:1 Looking for modest 300whp (again like it should have been stock).

No since making so much power and make it unreliable. A fast car broken is not as fun a little slower car I can drive. Fun factor is what I am going for! (PS I am sure people will say go manual for that but for me at this time just not an option I am considering.)

I have discovered that fun factor includes things like reliability, daily driveability, and being aligned properly. I think you're doing it right. Get a good (new) throttle body with good (new) idle control system. stock-like start up is priceless.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...