Red Starion Progress

Well Progress has been alot slower then I have liked it to be, but I still am making progress on my Starion. Got the Bottom end almost all together with oil pan and Timing cover on. Took alot of work to get the Crank Scraper fitting just right with grinding, plus use a few washers to make the oil pickup even in the pan as it was originally.

Doing alot of small improvements over the last setup from the blue car (12.4 @ 15psi).

Other Notable things I am Changing or considering to change from 2.5in to 3in after the IC to the TB, Moving BOV from After IC to Before near the turbo. (not yet)

Italic = Changes from Blue car

Car Info:

Hawk ECU

Magna Intake

60-1 Hifi Turbo

720cc injectors

88 Starion Red Repainted by Burton several years ago.

Transmission: Stock 89 Automatic Transmission (Soon with Valve body mod! stage 2)

Polly Trans Mount

Engine: G54B Same engine, Exhaust, intake and Turbo ran 12.4 @ 15psi in the Blue car (main difference is this in a auto with much improved head)

8.1:1 Compression (about)

Custom Weisco Forge Pistions (designed to give an even 7:1 ratio with Marnel head)

Crank Scraper

Oil pan baffle

BS Eliminated

Rebuild and Balanced

Light Wight 83 Crank Pully (no ac belt groove)

Intake:

65mm Australian Ford TB

Magna Intake (Plenum Ported to have smoother transition from Welded flange to intake)

3in Cold air intake K&N Filter Filter is down where the charchol canister use to be

2.5In IC pipes

Tial BOV

Inter cooler pipes just under 4ft long in total

Volvo Buss IC with 3in in and outlets. (front bumper Cut and rewelded and modified to get about 25% more flow from the blue car)

Fuel:

Delphi Injectors from RC engineering injectors 718cc flowed to 1% of each other

Magna stock FPR 37psi 0 vac and 26psi 17 vac (haven't tested under psi yet)

Fuel Pressure gage Mounted on the Cowl

Have a Arrowmotive FPR I may install later

Head:

Magna 3rd gen head (heart shaped chambers raise compression to about 8.3:1 from stock)

Magna 3rd gen Roller Cam 1.55 Ratio Rockers

Very Heavily Ported

SS 1mm Oversized Valves

Shniter HD Valve Springs

Ti Retainers

Manual Carb Fuel Pump access welded Up so dont need to worry about oil leaking

Factory set up for Crank ventilation. (secondary air Cleaner)

Exhaust:

3in exhaust from downpipe to the stright section, 3.5in at the bend in the rear with 3.5in Cherry Bomb

2 3 Wire Narrow Band O2's One for ECU other for AF Gage

(Plan to add another O2 Bung down farther for Wide Band)

38mm External WG Routed back into downpipe (about 25% more flow then the blue cars)

V band exhaust connections

Exhaust Wrapped downpipe

Turbo Insulation blanket

SS Heat Shield over the blanket

SS Heat Shield around the Header

Header designed for Waste gate Flow

ECU:

Hawk EC21 2 Injector Driver Batch inj Setup

Controlling Ignition and fuel

Ignition:

4 Wire Ignitor with Alumin Plate and CPU Heat Sink

Accel Super Coil

Moroso Ignition Wires (using old set will make a new set Before its going again)

Accel U Groove Spark Plugs

Magna Distributor

Turbo:

Turbonics T3/T4 60-1 HiFi Stage 5 Turbine (stage 3 one was bad and had much improved spool compared to the blue car but had aot of surge at partial throttle)

Greddy Profect B Boost Controller (Not Installed yet)

Edited by Lizzord30

Well that looks sweet. What are your goals (numbers/times) for this setup?

Well that looks sweet. What are your goals (numbers/times) for this setup?

Nothing crazy really I want good drivablity, reliable, and pretty quick. Hoping for around 300rwhp and 400rwtq. I want to have very fast spool up with 10-15psi Easy to drive with possibly getting decent millage if i want. Also Today finished most of my downpipe putting a flex pipe in.

Edited by Lizzord30

• 2 weeks later...
Running!!! but transmission lines dont seal and bleeds all over lol. But runs decent! needed about 11% more fuel then the last engine.

Seams to be working great, with great spool and still only dry rev, dry reving to 2k i get about 2psi. I think this is going to spool pretty fast......

Argh My starter is bad, Was going to start and drive the car into the garage (since rain is coming soon) and it wont start! I was even planning to replace the starter today.....

Replaced the starter and still had issues, replaced ground connector to the battry replaced the starter inhibitor replay cleaned some contacts and now the starter works!! Oh and the starter I had was a different starter replacment, replaced that one with a remanufacturer Mitsu one, the motor looked a good deal larger even and works!

Edit:

Argh its back... could I have 2 bad starters? (both are not new, but thought the one was good and it even looked pretty clean...) Neither of them are orignial both are remad ones.

Edited by Lizzord30

Some Pictures!

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_190155.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_56356.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_77125.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_24693.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_66524.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_1118/gallery_1655_1118_85525.jpg

Well I havnt test drove it yet but so far seams to be greatly improved! Replaced the Center cartrage and exhaust housing and turbine from a turbo I had on the shelf. So now I have a Stage 5 T3 wheel up from the stage 3 from before, It is a good deal larger and should help with my overly fast spool making it shift at weird times. Plus should give decent HP gains above 5k. Was my first time compleatly taking a turbo appart and putting them together used the best parts from the 2 turbos to get the best on I can and so far seams alot better! Also Added exhaust wrap more of the exhaust to keep heat away from engine bay. Turbos are much less complicated then I thought lol.

After getting it decently tuned after the turbine side upgrade it needs alot of tuning as it has made enof difference that even idling is off some.

I used the Blackplate, compressor wheel, and compressor housing from my old turbo, and used the new turbine, exhaust housing and center (with better bearings but not great still little smoke) I will get a rebuild kit sometime for this, or upgrade to a different turbo.

Also the new center section was a water cooled one, so replaced water pump (with high flow style one) and replaced Tstat housing.

Edited by Lizzord30

After driving and tuning it some get full boost (14psi) at about 3800, and pulls nice! Still alot more tuning to go but its good. Before with the stage 3 exhaust wheel it had full spool about 3200, but noticeably better top end. It is really alot different with a Auto then manual.

Even better is pretty much no smoke after getting it burned in well, and much more user friendly boost characteristically, plus seams to be shifting pretty good.