Will a 6 bolt axle work with a 6 bolt hub and an 86 rear end?

Jehu

Well isn't that nice. Guess I will need to just find a way to swap that inner part that the axles bolt to.

Anyone know if that large bolt that's inside where the axles bolt up to comes off?

That large bolt is the spindle that your rim bolts to. Take the nut off the inside and tap the spindle out.

Making hybrid 4/6 bolt axles so they fit in your 86 diff isn't the answer. You might as well leave the 4 bolt stuff in the car if you are thinking of doing that. The hybrid axles will have a weak spot. That weak spot will be the 4 bolt section you added. It will always break there. So you are better off finding a 6 bolt diff and doing the swap right. Or sell the 6 bolt axles you have.

So when I take that bolt out and tap the spindle out, does the part that bolts to the axle separate too so I can swap?

its pointless to do what your saying. the number of bolts itsnt the weakpoint of the 86 axles. its the part that goes into the differential that is the issue.

i just finished the swap in my car because i put a stage 3 clutch, dumped it and snapped the axles.

the part that goes inside the differential broke on my 4 bolt axles. my car is an 86 and i swapped the hubs axles and differential. if you keep the part that goes

into the difffrom 86 its pointless work because thats the part that snaps. the part thatgoes in the diff on the 89 is 3 mm thicker than the 86.

the hubs from 88-9 have more splines and are bigger so you have to change the whole thing. ill take pictures to show you where i snapped my axles

Edited by jayro

Like I said before, you are proposing a half arse swap. It's not worth doing it that way. Either change it all or leave it alone. Changing only half the parts gains you no extra strength. It's just a waste of time.

I got an 88 hub that I want to use in my 86. Will the matching 6 bolt axle work with an 86 rear end?

the answer is NO , the easyest way would be to swap the entire rear sub section with all parts as one piece

I hear what you guys are saying...there's not reason to do this...there's no benefits. But I think you guys are missing the point (and I am to blame for not stating why I was trying this half-way job).

My 86 hub is messed up...the part where it bolts to the lower control arm is worn (not the bushings on the control arm, but the place where the bolt goes through the hub is oblonged).

I was able to find an 88 hub but, as I'm sure you know, the part that bolts to the axles has 6 bolts. I don't have access to the rest of the rear end and I just want to get the car back on the road. My original thought won't work because the 6 bolt axle won't fit into the 86 rear end.

So the only way for me to seemingly use this 88 hub is to pull it (and my 86 hub) apart and swap the pieces that bolt to the axles. This should work, right?

Edited by Jehu

The spindle on the 2 is different as well. the only part that never changed was the hub housing, everything else needs to match up by year. Yes, you can swap parts to use that 88 hub. I have an 86 wide body with one 84 narrow body hub, one 87 narrow body hub , with an 88 6 bolt setup in it. I know what fits and what doestn' fit. Only part you can recycle from the 4 bolt setup is the hub housing.

If you want to get real technical, you can swap the splines inside the diff too, that part is interchangable too, but you gotta pull a lot of stuff apart to get to it.

I hear what you guys are saying...there's not reason to do this...there's no benefits. But I think you guys are missing the point (and I am to blame for not stating why I was trying this half-way job).

My 86 hub is messed up...the part where it bolts to the lower control arm is worn (not the bushings on the control arm, but the place where the bolt goes through the hub is oblonged).

I was able to find an 88 hub but, as I'm sure you know, the part that bolts to the axles has 6 bolts. I don't have access to the rest of the rear end and I just want to get the car back on the road. My original thought won't work because the 6 bolt axle won't fit into the 86 rear end.

So the only way for me to seemingly use this 88 hub is to pull it (and my 86 hub) apart and swap the pieces that bolt to the axles. This should work, right?

Which side do you need? I think I've got some 4 bolt hubs in my shed.

Yes, you can swap parts to use that 88 hub. Only part you can recycle from the 4 bolt setup is the hub housing.

So please tell me how to put it all together...thanks.

I need the passenger side!

Which side do you need? I think I've got some 4 bolt hubs in my shed.

take the large nut off the 88 hub sindle, remove the comapnion flange and knock the spindle out. Do the same for your damaged 86 hub. put your 86 spindle/flange in the empty 88 hub and reassemble. Sell the 88 parts to recoup some of your cost.