Serious bible question

ucw458

Sounds like Paul Harvey would be a terrible devil...

If I were the devil I would make everyone die...slowly from a painful disease or maybe suffocation.

The end.

Most of those things have nothing to do with religion anyways...

I love when creationists try and say that if you didn't believe in a deity or religion then you would have no morals...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a couple of points that jumped out at me:

it is not possible to disprove this. we can say that we have no evidence, and rational people don't believe things without evidence.

millions have died for islam, does that make it true? muslim suicide bombers kill themselves seemingly every day - does that make islam true too?

so the copies of the quran are just as close or closer to the originals than the gospels. the quran contains just as much historical accuracy as the bible, even tieing in with the bible. do we admit it as evidence as well?

here's one for you: based on these two guys' ideas, i submit that harry potter is real. we have the ORIGINAL documents of harry's life. in addition we have pictures, film, audio, webpages, news articles, personal sightings, etc., etc., that will back up his existence. some folks will say that he's just fictional, but i've read the books!

can you prove to me that harry potter isn't real?

I think what Imwii's post really shows here is that we're not really arguing the truth or falseness of anyone's religion. We're arguing that there is no mechanism for determining which religion is more likely to be true or false. When believers present arguments like many of the ones being presented here; arguments that could be used in favor of ANY religion, it shows that they have never actually used honest reason to arrive at their conclusions about God. This is because people who reason honestly, don't reason that willingness to die for Christianity makes Christianity more likely to be true, but willingness to die for Islam does not make Islam more likely to be true. Honest reason dictates that you disregard logic that fails to differentiate between competing possibilities.

Perhaps a minor point of clarification would help here. If we stopped saying you have "no evidence" and started saying you have no evidence that honest reasoning will allow you to consider, perhaps that would make the pill easier to swallow. Not sure.

Edited by chiplee

I love when creationists try and say that if you didn't believe in a deity or religion then you would have no morals...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Again I'm just helping answer the original question as stated below, which implies the original poster is assuming there is a God and satan, with another explanation how the devil works. Which is through the wants of man's fleshly desires, which will condemn them to the devil's domain instead of God's domain if repentance is not seeked out through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Something I saw today made me curious. People say god is love and satan is bad. But,.... in the bible how many people did satan kill? How many people did god kill? I can't think of a single story involving satan killing someone. But I can think of stories where god laid waste to entire cities and civilizations. Seems kinda ironic to me. Can anyone think of a story involving satan killing someone?

that we're not really arguing the truth or falseness of anyone's religion. We're arguing that there is no mechanism for determining which religion is more likely to be true or false

thank you! i hope everyone reads this line and understands the difference.

Perhaps a minor point of clarification would help here. If we stopped saying you have "no evidence" and started saying you have no evidence that honest reasoning will allow you to consider, perhaps that would make the pill easier to swallow. Not sure.

thank you! i hope everyone reads this line and understands the difference.

Probably not, if no one read it when Chip wrote it on page 11...

On this technicality, science cannot definitively prove anything is 100% true with no chance of ever being false in the past or the future, so there are no pure "truths". But it can do a fabulous job of discriminating between good ideas (those with reason and evidence in their favor) and bad ideas (those without). And in this way, science can demonstrate that certain beliefs do not deserve the allegiance of any thinking person.

• 3 weeks later...

i found this video which i think is worth watching for some of you, based on the methodology it describes.

That's what some people can't get past.. determining what or who is right or wrong.

Which I would guess is your reason for posting the link.

Even though in religion or retoric there of can seem archaic but, it has the ability to let people from different socioeconomic back grounds comunicate their feelings about something that is greater that the whole of life experience.

A common thread to bring an understanding that individuals are not the sole development of the species but that all of us together are counted as one.

Each of us has an ideal to look to for an example , religion was created as a structure with formality as a safety valve for the inevitable loss leadership for the group or the individual to insure the survival of the species.

So the real question is who created whom.

And if you say the devil has killed or murdered then your saying man created god because god has no control over the devil and if the contrary then you believe god created man and therefore everything is true because god is obviously omnipotent being the creator since man is finite and has restrictions.