(Another) Piston Identification

leesfer

Pulled the oil pan off to see what was inside since I have NO documentation from the previous owner and found pistons that I wasn't able to identify

Has anyone seen these or know what they are?

http://i.imgur.com/7P1XZ.jpg

On the inside side of the pistion, is there a # in that circle?

The marking looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/NzUX7.jpg

There is another letter or marking in that blank spot across from the "I" but I can't make out what it is

The underside shape of that isn't like any I've seen, the oiling holes for the wrist pins are really out further than most. I'd just keep searching for pictures of pistons on google until you find one that matches that shape, its bends inward in the middle on each side and no other I've ever seen did that.

Get a flex light or some way to get light into the cylinder through one of the spark plug holes and at least make sure they aren't flat tops. You might find some markings on the top.

At least you have balance shafts.

I am going to be taking the head off this weekend so I'll check out the tops soon

I noticed the new head and gaskets so I assumed the block had been rebuilt recently which is why I pulled the pan to see what was inside... hopefully the tops aren't flat

Why do you say it's good that I have balance shafts? I was under the impression that most remove them

There's some things you shouldn't do when you have them. That's not use 5W oil, or thick oil but they will argue about that forever, but mostly you need to make sure your oil pump pickup tube is always sucking up the oil and not air. There's no reason to rev to 6500rpms just because you can. There's nothing extra up there and if you are there you either forgot to shift of you are trying to go 160mph. If you feel its important to be able to slide around corners and race up steep hills at high rpms then you might get rid of them. If you're not one that drives like that you can keep them. It isn't about launching or cornering when you need to protect the rest of the bearings just the same way and that's modifying the oil pan to keep the oil from slopping out of it. If your crank/pistons/rods weren't balanced I'd not take them out.

Why are you taking the head off?