How would you paint this moulding?

Fanta

with fire

:P

on a serious note try masking a small section and do a test paint to see if the masking can keep paint off the ceiling. If not then you can either pull it down and paint it or try to carefully edge it with a painting guard and a brush.

Use a good brush, paint the vertical gaps first, excess will run down then get it out of the lower edges then go horizontal on the top and bottom. I'd not spray it,that will take way too much paint to cover and its too much work to strip and stain and even though that type molding isn't cheap its likely cheap pine and you'll have to stain it more than once and I'd bet there's no other natural wood in the house so why do that.

If you're renting I would leave it alone and not make any improvements to the place.

I am not living in an 80s aerobic dance studio

http://i.imgur.com/S2bwt.jpg

I'm just repainting the room - I'm well aware to not make improvements if you're renting, but it needed it ( the walls were no longer white really )

Use a good brush, paint the vertical gaps first, excess will run down then get it out of the lower edges then go horizontal on the top and bottom. I'd not spray it,that will take way too much paint to cover and its too much work to strip and stain and even though that type molding isn't cheap its likely cheap pine and you'll have to stain it more than once and I'd bet there's no other natural wood in the house so why do that.

Is there any style of brush in particular you would recommend for that? I was considering the spray option but it'd still seem to miss the sides I'm betting.

I think he means a quality fiber bursh. A 1 inch or at the most a 2 inch.

I myself think that a foam brush would be good for the detail (dab, dab, dab) , and then a fiber brush for the top and bottom to clean up drips ftom the detail and give a nice finish.

I also recomend taping the wall side and using a hand held paint guard for the ceiling. With that textured ceiling, you cannot truct tape to seal a good edge.

i'l et the squares will look dark no matter what or how much effort you put into painting the inner edges so why bother, just do the outter edge,, to paint every inner edge will take for ever , and as state'd use a sponge brush and dap the paint on the outter squares you can brush the rest but every time you hit a square it'l cause a drip to form and drop

if i was gona repaint the walls i'd spray the moulding , useing a guard only on the celling

these are arround $50 bucks all depends on how bad you want them paint'd

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Paint-Sprayers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarv5/R-100661262/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Not all that difficult. Definitely a decent angle tip trim brush, maybe a 1 1/2". Interesting trim cut in the crown on that short piece, corners. I'm sure you realize that it's gonna take some lite paint dabbing on the brush tip in those trim openings. You could tape everything, but that's alot of work... I'd just go free hand. I always use @ least a semi-gloss. (just personal preference) GLWP

go to a home improvement store and buy some paintable caulk for the gaps along the ceiling......make sure it says you can paint over it on the tube. Fill the gaps, once it is has dried use a good trim brush. Don't pack on the paint..do it in a few coats and you should have no runs Edited by Quest_in_Progress

(painter by trade)

If it were mine I'd caulk it to the ceiling and walls. Use a good siliconized LATEX caulk. Make ABSOLUTE certain it's not pure silicone, as silicone won't hold paint. Cut a small tip in the tube at a 45 degree angle and use a dripless gun, not one with a ratchet. Wipe the excess off everywhere you caulk with a damp rag, something smooth, like an old t-shirt, not terry cloth. Fill any nail holes with spackle and wipe the excess smooth. Once that's all dry I'd use blue painter's tape and either 3" or 6" paper and mask the walls and ceiling, yes it will stick, and then just spray it with a can of some nice satin.

You can try to brush it with a GOOD nylon bristle brush, and it will work, but you'll spend a good $12 - $15 on a quality brush, and you'll end up with paint on the walls anyway. Best to prep, tape and spray it. The prep will take a little time, and you'll have to shoot it from a few different angles, and commit to giving it a few coats...maybe one from the high left, and one from the low right.