Going wider...

Convette

Derek looks like I am going to miss you, but I will def take them, I only need this much of them. http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/d.jpg

I have to rebuild the bottom flare for the ground effects either way, ( these were rusted through also) let me know if your cool cutting them up, and let me know what shipping would be.

R-R I would love to see some pics when you guys get started.

Lance- I want to run 315s in the rear, and 275s up front. Without spacers I should be fine.

Convette,

With that much meat will it be more difficult to induce and maintain drift? Or will it be better? Just curious. Wondering how it will change the handling characteristics.

Convette, With that much meat will it be more difficult to induce and maintain drift? Or will it be better? Just curious. Wondering how it will change the handling characteristics.

Going to focus more road racing next season. I will run whatever I can get my hands on for cheap to drift.

I'll cut them up tomorrow, and see if I can't get them out this week. I hit the road Thursday(with a 2 day detour to my Brother's)so if I don't get them out up here, I'll take them with me, and ship them from Ohio (might be cheaper anyway). -Derek

Right on man, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm hoping to get something done this week. I was out of town for the holidays.. I do have plans for the rear bumper aswell. As soon as I get the flatty sections I can make some progress. Stay tuned.

Personally i think we shouldnt have moulds made. Why cant we just have Johns car to admire all of the hard work? It would take away from the uniqueness and skills of John and his car. If someone still wanted to copy this, theu could do so with sheet metal and follow thia thread. I don't like commercializing someone's idea to make them stand out. Plus everyone says theyll buy now, but when the parts are actually made, no one will pay for them. I vote to keep this car one of a kind:)

john will always be the originator of this and he should feel greatful that we love the idea and his progress enough to copy what he has accomplished even in the early stages. he is an inovator. along with evo too. we do not wish to "copy" his work even though that will be in the end the result, but we wish to display the work of a great fabricator and inovator for the world to see. i may never see johns car in person but i can have my own "mini convette" sitting in my yard if he wishes to have molds done one day. also something to think about. what if john does all this work and then he turns a corner or someone runs a light and smacks his car. all that hard work down the drain. but with molds and fg parts he could have a new fender with the click of a few buttons or just a single call. no car is garanteed to make it through a day. anyone can have a wreck or something at any moment. hell you sometimes dont even have to be driving as we have seen in other threads. example, falling limbs, rolling down driveways. anything can happen. but with molds and fg parts it will be more easily fixed. just something to think about.

but yes in the end john will make his own choice to have molds done. and either way he is still the first to do this and his "unlike the rest" will be real metal.

Ron,

I have been kicking around the idea. But it's a ton of work. So the way I would approach it is to do the work for myself and if someone wanted a part, it would be available to them. I wouldn't ever try and make this a business deal or a money making deal. Waaayyyy to much work and effort for too little return. Either way, someone may make a mold off of Vette's hard work, if he allows it, or someone may do their own. The thing is, once the fronts are done, it pushes you into the rears, which are more complex since they are not bolt-ons. Then the rims come into play. I think our cars would look goofy with the stock rims and no spacers with the fenders flared. And the tire size and rim size will also be effected by the shocks or struts that are being used and how much lower the car is going to be.

sooooooo. This is a bit complex. I could make the fronts only as a fiberglass part, then have the rears modded and stick with sheet metal in the rear. Or I could make the fronts and the rears in fiberglass parts and have a body seam in the rear, or mold them in to the rear quarter and paint them to match the car (I was thinking carbon fiber skin so you could see the weave), but it could be painted any color to match the car. But if someone flares the car then they need rims....more money....and if they are going to do flares and rims and tires then lowering is almost a must. This gets really expensive really fast and I personally just don't have the funds to it right now.

If it was limited to just the fronts, it wouldn't be un-doable. But I don't know if you can just do the fronts and still have it look right. In the end, it might be cheaper to just find a friend who can weld, and mod them the way Vette did. Then do the skinning and repainting yourself. The body work and paint many people, including myself, can do, the welding....not so much. Wait, before I give myself to much credit, the fad into the rear quarter would be tricky because if the paint is original, it's not the same color as it went on so matching would be tough on a fad to make it look right. Like I said...complicated.

The best way to do it would be to do all the parts at the same time and reshoot the whole car, but I don't think there are many people that want to do that.

Anyways, some things to think about.

Vette, great innovation. Your car is obviously inspiring. Nice work. Michigan represents.

L

john will always be the originator of this and he should feel greatful that we love the idea and his progress enough to copy what he has accomplished even in the early stages. he is an inovator. along with evo too. we do not wish to "copy" his work even though that will be in the end the result, but we wish to display the work of a great fabricator and inovator for the world to see. i may never see johns car in person but i can have my own "mini convette" sitting in my yard if he wishes to have molds done one day. also something to think about. what if john does all this work and then he turns a corner or someone runs a light and smacks his car. all that hard work down the drain. but with molds and fg parts he could have a new fender with the click of a few buttons or just a single call. no car is garanteed to make it through a day. anyone can have a wreck or something at any moment. hell you sometimes dont even have to be driving as we have seen in other threads. example, falling limbs, rolling down driveways. anything can happen. but with molds and fg parts it will be more easily fixed. just something to think about.

but yes in the end john will make his own choice to have molds done. and either way he is still the first to do this and his "unlike the rest" will be real metal.

Sorry John is not the first to do this, there was a guy building a drag car that went super wide but the guy pasted away and the car changed hands.

Is that the same guy who welded.over his quarter glass and made louvers i think and also was doing non pop up headlights and it kinda looked like a camaro?

Sorry John is not the first to do this, there was a guy building a drag car that went super wide but the guy pasted away and the car changed hands.

Sorry i was not aware of this.

Amd yes there are some unseen after affects. Such as wheels and tires. But someone is is going through the motions should already be aware of said parts he or she ahould also buy to get the desired look and performance

Anyone who os willing to spend the money for a set of fronts amd carbon fiber rears (would look amazing on the red of johns car or a fiji) most likely alteady has wheels and coilovers picked out too. They may not all be ordeeed at the same time but its another part of the project.

• 2 weeks later...