Any tricks for breaking loose torque converter bolts?

movin on

Well, I have been getting ready to pull the block out on my new quest and I swear these bolts won't come loose. My thoughts are that the previous owner used high strength red gel loctite. I currently have a breaker bar on the wrench and I gradually apply pressure, but it just comes to the point where the socket pops off and I bust my hand. I have pulled TQ bolts out before a couple times on my other auto, but these ones are just ridiculous.

Use a 6 point socket/wrench so there's less change of rounding the bolt heads. Get a prybar with a hook or bent end and hook it on one of the ring gear teeth. Is the transmission out yet? You can slide it back and use one of the lower bellhousing bolts to hold it. If you have the transmission out you can put the prybar in one of the teeth then let the crank turn and it will be forced up against any of the block bolts and as the flywheel tries to turn it pushes down into the tooth with greater force.

Get your prybar to fit into the tooth not just on one of the tips of a tooth where it might slip out or break. Put a bolt in any hole and turn the crank so the bolt hits the long side of the pry bar and then it all jambs together as you try to loosen up your bolts. If you have a smaller prybar and are under the car you can use one of the lower bolts just slip the tranny back half inch.

That's how I held it to tighten the flex plate bolts and they go just over 100ftlbs. They make ring gear holders, it looks like a section of a ring gear maybe a little more flat and it just stabs into the ring gear.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM009342.JPG

Edited by Indiana

mine is just jacked up. I got them out. I heated, then used the hammer, then for two of them I used the pry bar after that. I don't think I am going to reuse one of the bolts because the head is a little worn. At least I know what thread pitch to get now. I might even get some new hardened bolts with a slighty larger head because it would make it a lot easier to take them out in the future. Edited by movin on