Nissan "Z" Guys.....need info

jonboyb

What kind of power can the old L28ET turbo engines in STOCK form (out of a early 80's 280zx turbo) handle before things start letting go internally (pistons, rods, etc.). Running a fully built P90A cylinder head so the top end and valvetrain are good to go.....but no idea what the limits of the bottom end are.

I was hoping a member might have some hard facts......forums sometimes fudge a little....LOL. It appears the concensus on the various boards is around tree'fiddy but I've found several examples above that on stock blocks.

The bottom ends are very stout in those cars. 300-350 would be a safe assumption. I think you really have to struggle to make more power than that with the L28. If you are trying to make more power than stock, megasquirt or some sort of tunable ecu is a must

He is asking only about the stock block. Evey Z guy knows the stock L28 block is capable of 400+.with tuning(AEM, Mega etc). Even the v6 made 400 on the stock block. They had T5 tranny(nissan version) too.

I was infatuated with that car before I was infatuated with my quest.

300-350 is considered "safe", 400 is where you find the limit of the stock ring lands. Also the #5 cylinder runs hotter then the rest so that is going to be your point of failure. I shattered the #5 ring lands on my first motor so I know.

I have a 72 240z with a l28et running on a haltech with 450cc injectors making 300 RWHP.

Edited by 85.5flatbodystar

I didn't know you could get that kind of power out of them either, yet another reason to want one. Wife would have let me buy an older 280z last weekend outside the pick-and-pull but we don't have anywhere near enough space for another car unless i start stacking them like cord wood. Ohh well last thing i need is another project lol.

Guys...just spent some time tuning on this car....the L28ET is NO JOKE. This is a low mileage stock rebuild and it spools a GT3071R like we spool a 16G. Had a 7 psi external wastegate and it was dang near constantly open. Couldn't believe how quick it spooled it.....but ironically did not feel very strong at all. My stock non-IC flatty would walk it. We didn't spend much time at higher RPM's but I bet it would really wake up with some more tuning. His fuel maps are off the chart rich and ignition maps need some work but dang was it spool happy.