TOP-END PERFORMANCE.

sage89

HEY GUYS...

im planning on having my engine beef up to support about 400 + hp and i was looking for a place and came across TOP END PERFORMANCE.

Does anyone use them in the past? are they good?

Please any help will do.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately i don't know how to do any engines work and don't know any good shop by me :( i was gonna remove the engine and ship it to them so they could do the work, and whem done they would send it back to me.

thanks again

Ship it to Randy, he's closer in Ohio.

I would not trust Top End to do machine work.

Take a look at Dad's (Randy's) feedback:

http://www.starquest...?showtopic=9282

And here is some feedback on Top End:

http://www.starquest...showtopic=40822

http://www.starquest...?showtopic=9063

-Robert

i already have an mpi set up ready to go, i just don't wanna keep on spending money every time i want some extra power, to me i think it'd be better to just aim for the high power and just get it over with.... my target is 450hp. after reading Dad's feedback i think ima go with him instead....

thanks a lot guys

400 is a big number and takes work. From what I've seen the difference between a 300HP quest and a 400HP one is quiet a bit ($$$). I'm aiming for 300 to 350 when it is over. I just don't have the cash to play with for much past that. Plus the car will probably make me pucker enough with just that much power. Still, more power to you. Give Dad a call.

I'm not an expert in these cars like many here, but I think it is important to remember these cars tend to make a lot of torque, they aren't quite like the high revving high-Hp cars out there. You may find 300 or 350 will work just fine and make more smile per dollar.

i have very little knowledge about our cars, but i think its time for me 2 learn since im planing on keeping her.....i'll talk to Dad, pick his brain out ;). Ny to Ohio have some distance in between them but i'll be ready for it .....@ Cloud, i totally agree with you about 350hp might be enough, if it'll be 2 much money for 400hp thn ill aim for lower.

This is where i'm going to need help from you guys.. because i don't know to much/ whats good for our cars im very limited :( ....... the only thing i have right now is an mpi set up i bought from another starquest owner.

I have a turbonetics cast manifold and the mpi setup already bolt up to the manifold, i bought them from purplestar88, he's a member here... not sure of a name for the set up but there's a eci multi written on it and the throttle body i believe is a 70mm... please forgive me if i sound clueless...im still in the learning process.

If you get that mpi setup on the car and run a 18g around 15psi you will be laying down over 300hp with a stock motor then you could go from there. It takes a LONG time for someone who knows these cars (you dont) to JUST get a mpi set up running good but you want to add a motor build and shoot for high hp? All I have to say is good luck hope I don't see this one unfinished and getting sold/parted as well.

Considering the amount of knowledge you have I'd stick getting it running on MPI first if you have it. You'll want a good wideband, hopefully one with run memory. A decent MPI setup without unreasonable boost out of the stock turbo should be about 200Hp. Then upgrade the turbo, drop the boost down and crawl it back up slowly as you learn to tune your MPI. (remember bigger turbo deliver more air per PSI) Along way you'll need more fuel.

Really this is probably the easiest way to wade into the deep end of the pool. There is a sharp learning curve getting the MPI running, but I think with the help of a trustworthy tuning/dyno shop it may be the ideal place to start. Doing it all in one swoop when you don't know what you are doing is a foolproof way to screw everything up.

As I said I'm looking at 300-350. I have my MPI in a box. But I'm building the engine on TBI and a 16G right now. Learning about the stock setup. Changing what Mitsubishi spent years and millions developing before I throw it all away and try to do a better job.

Edited by Cloud81918

thank you guys, i appreciate it all.... i guess the best thing for me to do is to take it slow then.... i'm going to follow what you guys said, cause id hate to see this car goes to waste/ unfinished and getting sold/parted out :( ... not my intention... so an 18g turbo with the mpi set up would give 300hp with the stock motor? is 300hp is safe on the stock engine?

either way im gonna go with what you guys said since ya'll know more than me. thank you again

It might serve your best interest to get the stock engine running well and tune your MPI setup with it a little at a time like they said above, and look around for a used engine in your area or Randys that needs a rebuid. Send that one to Randy for the bulletproof build with all the forged internal goodies, By the time you have your tune figured out, You should be just about ready for a new short block and head anyways. Thats just my thoughts, as I havent ventured into the MPI world just yet with my cars. BTW the intake you described is a Magna Multiport Intake. Alot of guys go that route as it seems to be proven and fairly reliable. Best of luck with your car and take it slow and easy, and sneak up on the boost/hp.

BC_99

Thank you BC.... i was on the phone with Dad about 40 mns ago, and he said the same thing, " take it slow" so yes i'm definitely going to go slow.. and ill be sure to post some pics of her. thank you again.

you guys are truly the best when it comes to starquest. :D

The nice thing about randy is he owns and runs a machine shop.

Top end is not a machine shop. They are a middle man. I've been inside their facility and they have NO engine tools or machines. They have an air compressor and a small toolbox for one person to put simple stuff together. ALL their fab work and engine services are farmed out to local shops.