Vehicle Maintenance Records

Seeing as though there are new Starquesters joining SQC all of the time, and many of them are kids just starting out working on their own cars I thought that I would bring this up.

Keeping a maintenance record is of immeasurable help in maintaining your car. It's a ready reference for when, let's say, the next engine oil/filter change is due, you last replaced the tranny or dif oil, replaced spark plugs, dizzy cap & rotor or plug wires, when you had to replace the head gasket, cleaned the injectors, replace a cracked exhaust manifold, etc etc.

Of course the record is only as good as the information that you put into it. ;) Here are some suggestions for what type of info that may be entered, but by no means is this an all inclusive list.

Show the date & mileage the work was work performed; why the work was performed (symptoms); if you had a problem - what was the root cause; what you did to correct the problem; the critical as found and as left clearances and/or specs (voltage/ohms/torque values, compression pressures, spark plug type and gap, etc; part(s) & part number(s) that you used; keep the reciepts for parts or work you had performed in a separate envelope with the date and written on the front and a description of what the receipts are for.

If you are increasing performance, almost the same type of info should be noted as above - plus: what your performance goals were; were they achieved; parts used, any problems encountered; how you resolved the problem(s); if you dynoed your car - what were the results after each pull and what was changed (tweaked) to what value(if anything) for the next pull etc etc etc...................

Sound like a PITA? Well consider these factors:

You have a reference that you can refer back to if a problem happens again. Or if you can't resolve a problem, the log keeps track of what you did and when until it's successfully resolved.

A quick reference which shows when your fluids and filters were last changed, and when the next change is due.

And certainly, last but not least, if you sell your car, you have documented proof of what you did to it and when - which should increase or substantiate the price you are asking for it. For instance, proving that you actually did rebuild the engine/tranny and when, just replaced the alternator, etc.

My dad stressed to me the importance of keeping accurate maintenance/performance records back in the '50's when I was a little shaver. The Navy BEAT into my head the importance of keeping accurate machinery and equipment maintenance records. When I was part of a MOPAR drag racing team in the '70's, EVERYTHING that was done, as found and as left specs, and the results was docummented - so we could keep track of what worked and what did not, where we screwed up and how much each modification cost.

I have kept an accurate running maintenance record of my Starion since the day I drove her home from Sacramento Mitsubishi back in '88. I have filled three 3" 3 ring binders; and a 18" x 24" plastic storage box full of of the receipt envelops with dates and descriptions of whats inside each of 'em, containing every receipt for every thing I have replaced on her since day one.

Doing the above meant that I did not have to remember this info until I needed to use it. My memory was cluttered up with enough other BS and it made my life easier. :lol:

These maintenance records have proven to be invaluable to me over the years for all of my vehicles. ;) And now that I'm starting to have more and more Senior Moments cuz I'm getting older than dirt, (but NOT older than Shelby :lol: ) and my memory ain't as good as it used to be, :( the Starion's maintenance records are becoming more important. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Great advice!

On a similar note - I've traded in a couple cars to Carmax and each time I asked them if they wanted the service history paperwork and receipts they said 'nope' :blink:

Edited by Goddard

I've kept records of all my vehicles since I was 16, I'm 27 now. I write down the date, what was done to the vehicle, and how many miles were on the vehicle at that moment. Comes in handy alot, and it's cool to look back and see what all I've done/changed on the vehicle. For example, my red '88 has had 5 different sets of front/back seats in it, and I could go back and tell you when each set was installed.

88-89 black leather

86-87 black leather

88-89 black checker cloth

86-87 black velour

88-89 black straight line cloth (current set)

I have a three ring binder for every receipt i've ever received for parts purchased, Engine rebuild costs and Maintenance on my Starion since 1989. And keep regular Oil,Trans and Rear end mileage as to when all of them are to be changed. Kind ofjz, but that is just me.If I ever decide to sell it. All that stuff is proof of how well I took care of this car.

Bill

One thing I found helpful for Android users is a program called "ACar" which does a pretty good job of helping you track maintenance/fueling/etc, plus will set up reminders for when maintenance is due.

http://www.zonewalker.com/acar

I use aCar for maintenance and fuel stops.

With repairs, I keep files, and digital scanned copies of receipts.

Tim