Questions about the ISC

Raider 2.6

So I'm in the process of replacing filters and rebuilding the TB as well as a few other things I didn't know about until I tore into it. Anyhoo, few questions about the ISC:

According to PQ's pictures, you should have this once you've removed the mounting plate thing:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/Fuel2/IS-1.jpg

It appeared mine either didn't have the spring or it fell out in such a manner that I didn't notice. There is, however, a black rubber gasket looking piece at the top of the dome that came out. I don't see that pictured in PQ's writeup. Is that rubber piece in addition to the spring? If so, maybe someone has one laying around :unsure:

There aren't any detailed pics in the writeup pertaining to lubing the gears either. After removing the sensor and that long spring, where do you go? Does the motor just pull out of the housing with some force? I've removed the clip holding it in place, seems it will spin and slightly pull out, but stops.

Also, the search feature doesn't like "ISC" at all.

Edited by Raider 2.6

Try adding a longer than three letter word in your search string, like "ISC motor". Use + to filter results that include both search terms like "+ISC +motor".

As far as lubing the gears, I've heard StarFighterPilot recommend Lionel train oil from a hobby shop... or something like that.

-Robert

So I'm in the process of replacing filters and rebuilding the TB as well as a few other things I didn't know about until I tore into it. Anyhoo, few questions about the ISC:

According to PQ's pictures, you should have this once you've removed the mounting plate thing:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/Fuel2/IS-1.jpg

It appeared mine either didn't have the spring or it fell out in such a manner that I didn't notice. There is, however, a black rubber gasket looking piece at the top of the dome that came out. I don't see that pictured in PQ's writeup. Is that rubber piece in addition to the spring? If so, maybe someone has one laying around :unsure:

There aren't any detailed pics in the writeup pertaining to lubing the gears either. After removing the sensor and that long spring, where do you go? Does the motor just pull out of the housing with some force? I've removed the clip holding it in place, seems it will spin and slightly pull out, but stops.

Also, the search feature doesn't like "ISC" at all.

Download the FSM here: http://www.starquestgarage.com And check in Section 14-34 to 14-35, also Section 0-11.I don't think Mitsu. is going to give you a exploded view of the ISC.They wanted you to buy a new one when the FSM was published.If you think your missing parts, or can't find a replacement ISC.Try and contact TheTexan88 on this site.I've never had mine apart so I can't help you.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Try adding a longer than three letter word in your search string, like "ISC motor". Use + to filter results that include both search terms like "+ISC +motor".

As far as lubing the gears, I've heard StarFighterPilot recommend Lionel train oil from a hobby shop... or something like that.

-Robert

lionel hobby train grease.

I decided to disassemble it due to random low/high idle issues. Not that it couldn't be caused by a host of other things, but once out of the car I have noticed the idle switch sticks and now it may be missing a spring. There is also the poor condition of that intake ground strap and whatnot so I'm going through each component.

Either way, I've got a few local hobby shops I can check to get grease. Only problem is figuring out exactly what needs greased and how to get to it. I don't think removing the plate and that plastic piece (the stuff protruding from the rubber gasket in the pics above) will allow sufficient access to the greaseable parts. I also don't want to destroy it by prying or pulling on something too hard.

I may check with Texan anyway so I can at least cobble together one complete and hopefully working ISC.

I would surmise this is just the beginning of being a Starion/Quest owner :o

,break out the FSM and look at pages 14-5 and 14-6. This two views give you a cut away view of the ISC/MPS.

The last time I took one of 'em apart and cleaned & regreased it was back in '06. I haven't had to do it since. :) I believe that I fully retracted the MPS/ISC before I started. See SOS manual http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1097&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50 for how to do this.

From my best recollection, :blush: you have to carefully peel off the neoprene gasket/wiring harness seal as that's shown in PQ's picture. It will be stuck in there in places but with some time and patience you'll get it off w/o damaging it.

Once you get this off you will see the worm gear assy the plunger and the sliding pin. Unscrew the Motor strap off of the ISC housing. This will allow you to carefully work out the motor shaft's gear. Once this is out, it should be apparant how to remove the plunger and sliding pin. But make sure you remember what position they are at and put 'em back in the same position during reassembly.

Also remove the idle swich by peeling back it's bellows & remove it. Match mark it to the ISC body and then screw it out. Here is where I'm having another "senior moment." Clean and buff both ends of the switches pin.

I used electrical parts cleaner to get the crusty grease out, and blew the gearing and the ISC internal housing out with a can of compressed air that you use for blowing out computer internals.

You must also verify that the MPS/ISC harness electrical connectors internals and it/s metal terminals are clean and none of the wires are cut at the connectors and inside of the ISC housing.

After you get everthing squeeky clean grease up the gearing, plug and sliding pin with Lionel Electric Train grease.

Then carefully reassemble the ISC and donn't forget to reinstall that funky spring on top of the plastic box in the MPS.

Like I said above I only took apart and cleaned two MPS/ISC's back in '06. I'm having a senior moment here but the above is "about" how I did it. Both of 'em worked smoothly & correctly after I did this.

So, if I could do it correctly so can you. Just think out each step before you do it. And put it back together the same way and original position that you took it apart.

I have spent the past 2 1/2 hours searching for mikec's original post that I used back in '06. But I can't find the damn thing.

Jimmy, do you think that you could find it? He posted this reply back in 05 or 06 I believe.

Also see Tim's Ulrichwolf's post on this subject http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95170&st=0&p=928423&fromsearch=1entry928423

and PQ's SOS manual http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1097&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

For What It's Worth.

BTW - as was said above in another reply, if you lost the MPS funky spring you are screwed. You gotta get another MPS/ISC.

Edited by Starfighterpilot

the nose swt has a rubber dust boot covering the spring,, to dissasemble the entire thing you'l need to compress the spring and remove an E clip , :) senior moment it may be screw'd on the end i simply can't recall at this moment,,but it's self explanitory once you look at it

it's the nose swt thats holding the motor and screw assy in the houseing

I spent another 3 hours this morning looking for mikec's reply on how to disassemble and clean the MPS/ISC. I found a later one of mikec's replies from '08 rather than the earlier one I was looking for from '05 or '06. Persistence pays off after 5 1/2 hours total of searching. :) :) Mike's reply is about 1/2 way into the replies of the post.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78360&hl=

Interesting thing in this reply is, he says that probably, he does not know for sure, you can use wheel bearing grease but he states that you can use plastic safe general purpose grease that hobby shops or model train shops have in stock.

As I remember it in his earlier reply way back when, he did not mention wheel bearing grease, but he specifically said Lionel grease. That's why I went out and bought a tube of the stuff for about $5.00.

Me personally, I think that the wheel bearing grease has a higher viscosity (thicker ie more resistence to movement which could make the motor work harder to move the ISC gearing) than the Lionel Electric train grease - this may cause the motor to burn out prematurely, or at least move the ISC slower. Plus does anyone know for sure if wheel bearing grease won't eat up the plastic gearing? If it was me rebuilding the MPS/ISC, I wouldn't take the chance and just use the Lionel grease.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

This Ken guy, always producing :lol:

I'm about to grab another ISC from Texan which is supposedly a good working ISC. This will allow me to completely disassemble mine without fear of it not working again. Looks like train grease will make it on my grocery list. I have some wheel bearing grease, but like you said it just seems overkill for such a small device.

Is it the windshield wiper motor that is generally lubed with wheelbearing grease?