New to StarQuest....

scooterzx

I just bought a 1989 StarQuest 127,000 miles. No rust but lots of bondo. Somebody replaced all the vacum lines with super cool blue ones (Its all F up). Also has rad hoses for intercooler piping(wt....). The injectors have different plugs Attached to factory wiring. Engine has 120psi across all 4. Car runs like poop! It runs for about 3min than dies with the all cyl filled with gas. Homemade intake which does nothing bacuse the filter is round open on both sides.

So what I am getting at is 120psi good across all 4?

Were do I get intercooler hoses at? cant find any expect for over the valve cover hard pipe.

Stock air box or a real cold air intake? cant find any.

I just bought a 1989 StarQuest 127,000 miles. No rust but lots of bondo. Somebody replaced all the vacum lines with super cool blue ones (Its all F up). Also has rad hoses for intercooler piping(wt....). The injectors have different plugs Attached to factory wiring. Engine has 120psi across all 4. Car runs like poop! It runs for about 3min than dies with the all cyl filled with gas. Homemade intake which does nothing bacuse the filter is round open on both sides.

So what I am getting at is 120psi good across all 4?

Were do I get intercooler hoses at? cant find any expect for over the valve cover hard pipe.

Stock air box or a real cold air intake? cant find any.

forget about the cold air crap, it's overrated. pics of the engine bay?

120psi is good, especially since the pistons are even with each other. eliminate all vacuum leaks and make sure you have the MAF installed. this will get rid of most fuel issues, next step is to check injectors for leaking by and sticking open.

Poor thing, its been hacked.

You'll want to find someone with a parts car, you need more heat shielding around the turbo, the oil separator is missing, the fuel line to the manifold does not come stock with hose clamps, new injector clips are good but you'll want to make sure they're done correctly. That should keep you busy for awhile.

Scott

Thanks for your help. I am in central NJ.

Also were can I get the intercooler hoses at?

I know they have aftermarket hard lines with blow off valve . Is that what I should get?

Or can I get stock lines?

I just found someone in NY that has the stock intercooler piping and all the heat shilding for the turbo. He also has both front and rear leather seats in good shape with no tears. And what does the oil separator look like so i can get that too. He wants 500 for everthing..... is that an OK deal? 3 hour drive one way to get it.

I'd be looking through the parts forum myself.. and why are you worried with seats right now? save your money, you might need it to get it to 100% running, then worry about interior and paint.

Unless you have money to throw around.. in that case I could always use a paypal donation.. :)

I'd definitely check around before jumping on buying things.

I'll have to look around, but if I still have a set of intercooler piping, I'd sell it for $20 shipped.

I don't think I have any heat shields, but it's not super critical. Just keep your eye out for one.

For $500, those seats better be mint and like new.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to see what he's got. He said that he has like 5 parts cars. 1 of them only has 50,000 on it.

I am trying to make a classic almost stock 80s tuner car to be in like mint condition. So if the seats are real good I am going to snag them up.

My main concern is the drive train but if some other good stuff comes out of I'm going to get it.

• 1 month later...
Alright so I finaly got the engine back running. I have all factory intercooling piping, mass air, paper air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. My problem is its running to rich. I think somebody before me maybe messed with the injectors. How can I tell if there stock or not. Or what else could be making it run rich. There was also alot of fuel in the oil pan whan I changed the oil too.

Get your running rich situation under control NOW. Gas in the oil will wipe out bearings in no-time flat. Change the oil before you do anything else. Plan on doing it at least twice, maybe even three times before you're done. After the first change check to see if the injector leads are on the right injectors. Disconnect the clip from the black injector and see if it starts. If it does, the clips are wrong. Also need to remove the OVCP, disconnect the coil wire from the coil, have somebody crank the motor while you shile a light into the throttle body. You'll see gas spraying from the primary only. When they stop cranking the fuel should stop. If it still sprays or drips you need to get the injectors cleaned. Next, take a piece of vacuum line and put it on the regulator. Suck on the line and make sure it holds pressure. If not,the regulator's shot...could be dumping fuel.

welcome to your new drug!

You should pull those injector and make sure they are the right ones. You should have a black (main) and a green (secondary) however there are black injector that are 850cc from 86 and earlier cars that don't belong in yours, your main should be like 650cc. So pull it and make sure the letter stamped on it is correct.

Before you do that start it and pull the connector off the green injector and and if the car stays running it is hooked up correctly.

If you determine the injector are correct and hooked up correct assure you have no vacuum leaks, check your coolant temp sensor and if needed send the injector to be cleaned.

WWW.starquestgarage.com

You will find the factory service manual here. You can use the 88 manual as it is the same as your 89

Good luck and let us no what you find. This is by far the best starquest site and probably the best auto forum I know. Lots of good people willing to help.

Thanks you guys were right on the money! The plugs were on backwards to the injectors. It ran alot better but than ran rich and stalled. I checked the injectors and the secondary leaks. So I am lookin on Ebay for new ones. 650cc and 950cc the pair new less than 200 shipped. Whenn they come in I will let you guys know how it works out.