Headlights go up and down rhythmically

helrazr70

I have a friend in Nashville that is having a problem with his '86 widebody. He called me tonight to tell me that when he turns on his headlights they both start going up and down rhythmically. It does this whether you use the headlight switch on the left or the pop up switch on the right.

He said it has done this a few times in the past and he noticed it happens after a rainy day or after he has washed the car. Now it does it every time he tries touse the headlights.

I had him clean the headlight switch--that didn't work so he tried both switches from his parts car--no change

I had him clean the fusible links and swap the headlight relays from his parts car--no change

I had him clean his grounds--no change

Sound like an alarm/ETACS problem?

If this happens when the nose area gets wet...I'd look carefully and test with meter the wiring and connections. Power still going to the motors when it shouldn't might be a problem in those areas. It's possible you might see a wire missing a little insulation..add water...you get the picture. Shrink wrap on any problem wires is the best cure.

If this happens when the nose area gets wet...I'd look carefully and test with meter the wiring and connections. Power still going to the motors when it shouldn't might be a problem in those areas. It's possible you might see a wire missing a little insulation..add water...you get the picture. Shrink wrap on any problem wires is the best cure.

Yes, to build onto this post, the power and ground wires to the headlight are known to crack and break from the up/down movement. I would untape the harness wiring to the headlight (most likely left) to see a break. It could make connection when down, and disconnect when up, etc...

I am not sure if water has anything to do with it.

He said the car has not seen water in a few weeks and it still does it. He said they go up as fast as they go down as if an alarm were going off. He said the only way he can drive it is to wait until they come up and pull the headlight relay and then manually turn the knobs if they weren't fully up when he pulled the relay. He says he has to time it just right because they go up and down so quickly.

He said it may just be coincidence with the washing the car or rain because he usually washes the car before he drives it. He stopped washing the car before taking it out and leaving it parked inside and it still does it.

86's don't have an alarm BTW.

-Robert

I guess that narrows it down...

I have only dealt with one 86 and it was his. Otherwise all my experience is with 88-89 with the exception of the 87 flatty I drove for a while.

I wish I could see his car in person to verify what is going on. I will try to get more info from him later.

I was thining his ETAC box was being a PITA, but now that we know his car didn't have the alarm we are back to having him look for wiring issues--and that will be fun as he isn't super mechanically inclined and may not recognize bad wiring.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
My Pass side headlight did this a few times. It turned out my screws on the side of the bucket worked themselves loose and obstructed the travel. For what its worth. Hopefully its something so simple, oh wait its a Starquest :wacko: