-20° ... Really!?

psu_Crash

I get up this morning to realize all my water is frozen, Great. Go to start my car ('08 Dodge Caliber) not happening. Awesome! Take a look at the thermometer, -20° :blink: You've got to be kidding me. So I called off work and it looks like I have a long cold day in front of me ... O wait, I rent! My land lord is about to have a terrible day! So I've got that going for me :) Edited by psu_Crash

It was in the 70's yesterday and sunny, we BB-Q'ed outside, wore shorts. ^_^ I don't know how you folks do it to survive in that weather!!

Man what I wouldn't give! But we have snowmobiles and skiing. Both very good times.I keep saying virginia is calling my name. I just need to do it! Heater on in the garage and all I can manage is 40!? That sucks

Boiling water takes longer to cool off and freeze. Use ice cold water. :)

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vJPOFwz5E

Or maybe cold water will do the same, but most youtube results show hot water being used.

Thermodynamics 101 ;)

Not if you divide by zero

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

Edited by Killtodie

So, I did the experiment after not reading your article, Kirill. lol. I threw some cold tap water into the air, and it stayed water till it hit the snow. In the meantime I boiled water, then poured it into the same container, and took it outside. once I threw it, it partially vaporized. If it was colder, I presume it would fully vaporize. someone else can look up the scientific explanation, but I understand it for the most part. :)

hot water the moliculs are more loosely pack'd and the temp change is faster

cold water is denser so it takes a bit longer for the temp to move thru the moliculs ,,i know i miss spell'd that but you get the drift

that sounds right, i always thought that in order for water to freeze the molecules had to "speed up" and in hot water the molecules were already moving faster than in cold water.. therefore causing hot water to freeze faster..

*edit*

First, the process of evaporation is endothermic, which means it takes energy for something to evaporate. As a molecule of water evaporates, it leaves the surface of the water and flies into the atmosphere. Thus, in simplified terms, the molecule converted heat energy into kinetic energy (energy of motion). Since the hot water evaporates quicker than the cold water, it loses heat energy quicker than the cold energy.

Second, since some of the hot water evaporates away, there is less water left to have to freeze.

Edited by 19cturbo