Maintainence Log Book

Starfighterpilot

How many of you keep a Preventive Maintainence and repair/modification log book for your Starquest or other cars?

What info do you record and what do you do with the reciepts for replacement/modification parts?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I keep all my stuff in a folder by my computer desk. Has a sheet of paper with when i did what and if there are receipts i slide them in the pocket on the other side. Btw i only have one car besides the quest (which is still sitting) so only one log book.

I keep an excel file for my civic. I should have kept one for my conquest but i never started one and now it way too late.

having one is highly suggested, best when you start from day one of ownership.

I do take a LOT of pictures of anything I ever do to the car, that's enough for me.

Edited by Killtodie

I've used an Excel spreadsheet for all my cars from the day I bought them. I currently use aCar on my Android phone to keep track of everything as well. As for receipts, I keep receipts for the major stuff (tires, parts, etc) in a file.

I keep vehicle files for each current one we own. I file everything in it from tire rotation papers to tune-up receipts and major repairs.

Tiff's file is important as she uses her car for her business, thus all of the expenses, including repairs, upgrades, and fuel purchases for it are tax deductible. Mine.....not so much

I also have a program on my Droid that tracks my fuel purchases and repairs/maintenance on my Durango. It calculates fuel costs, cost per mile/day/month/year, MPG, overall cost of ownership, etc. And it charts all of these parameters with line-graphs, highest and lowest readings and averages as well. I usually just use it to keep track of my fuel economy, which is dismal. :)

Turborusty

I keep vehicle files for each current one we own. I file everything in it from tire rotation papers to tune-up receipts and major repairs.

Tiff's file is important as she uses her car for her business, thus all of the expenses, including repairs, upgrades, and fuel purchases for it are tax deductible. Mine.....not so much

I also have a program on my Droid that tracks my fuel purchases and repairs/maintenance on my Durango. It calculates fuel costs, cost per mile/day/month/year, MPG, overall cost of ownership, etc. And it charts all of these parameters with line-graphs, highest and lowest readings and averages as well. I usually just use it to keep track of my fuel economy, which is dismal. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Turborusty

Whats the app? i have a motorolla droid and id love to try it out.

I used to keep a log book with all that stuff, including mileage when I got gas, which I learned from my dad who still does that to this day. After I started going thru cars a lot and having many at a time, I quit doing it so much.

Oil changes get done at every 3k inteval according to the odometers, so that's not hard to remember. Any receipts get filed away in that car's folder in the file cabinet. Any work I have done is documented on my computer with pictures, and my list of mods, including money spent for my SQ's is kept in my Virtual Garage at 26liter. The Virtual Garage has a place to log all maintenence and such to keep track of all of that stuff too, but I don't mess around with all of that.

I also always keep updated photos of all our cars (and our house) and their mods on a disc in the safe for insurance purposes, in case they want to try and lowball ya.

I got my system stolen out of my car once. My agent said he wanted a list of everything and reciepts or he wouldn't cover it because it was a lot of money for a car stereo. I brought him a list of what was in it, and my folder with about $10k in car audio receipts and told him he could dig thru to find them if he wanted, and pics of the interior which was destroyed, because so much of it was audio stuff. Within 10 minutes I was headed to the car audio shop with a check to them for the full amount I was asking for.

It's hard enough for me to remember to look at that little sticker on the window telling me when I did my last oil change... Now you want me to log OTHER crap too??

j/k I keep it all in my head and store receipts elsewhere. I've got a VERY weird memory (ask anyone that's dealt with me they'll tell you EXACTLY how frustrating I can be).

Spreadsheet user here for my daily. My other cars don't get driven that much. I don't even try with my wife's truck since she's a typical female driver --> gas and go. She does pay attention to the little oil change sticker in the window though.

Kane