Where does this go?

natallica

This car was a complete basket case when purchased. Many things thrown in a box or hacked off, or unplugged. I did a complete engine rebuild from the bottom up and I'm finishing up everything to hopefully fire it up soon. But I can't seem to figure out what this is and where it goes. I was guessing it connects to the intake but I'm not sure. I know someone on here will say "Duh...noob...it's the ________" I feel really stupid not knowing, but you guys can help, and that's why were all here, so can you help a guy out, please?

You must use that or you'll burn the tranny up, assuming if that car was an automatic. The barb goes into an opening in the intake manifold at the Y between the 3/4 runner split and plugs into the modulator on the tranny, its on the side of the tranny case. Edited by Indiana

Thanks a lot guys... It is an auto '88 so this makes sense now. I've been playing "Operation" with this thing for a few days now, so I figured I'd ask. I had a feeling it hooked to the brass barb on the intake but I wasn't sure, now at least I know where the other end goes. Thanks so much for the help :D

Another "dumb" question :wacko: ... This is obviously where this line goes. One end connects to the IM and the other end to the vacuum modulator (drivers side of tranny), but the hose is very hard to get on (doesn't want to stay) and the recessed silver nipple sticking out of the mod has a tiny "allen" screw in the head of it... is this supposed to be plugged? And, am I correct in assuming that this rubber hose should slip on and stay on?

There is a metal clip that bolts on to the side of the trans pan that bends over the vacuum tube, but is this all that holds it together or am I missing something and is the modulator supposed to be plugged or did some 'wisenheimer' plug it up with a screw they found on their garage floor? <_<

Thx in advance!!!

N8

The vacum hose should slip on the nipple and stay there. The allen head is supposed to be there. The OEM flex hose has a 90 deg bend in it. I changed mine with some line I had laying around, 3/8 I think. The hard line tube is also held with a transmission mounting bolt. The one just above the top starter bolt. That also holds down the wiring harness for the inhibitor switch. I use a deep 14mm to break the trq and turn by hand. Alan

Thanks so much for your help... the car is at my father in laws (about 20 miles) but I'm there tinkering with it on the weekends so I'll fix it then, the hose has a 90 in it, but I guess because of the age it's a little crusty and rigid.

I've seen on other vehicles, there was a small magnet in the trans pan. Should ours have them as well? Mine is missing if so, but I removed the pan and changed the filter and I didn't see any fragments in it, so it looks like the motor was the only thing that they ran the p*ss out of :)

Thx

Dude

I appreciate it.

Concerning the filter. There are two bolts with nuts used to secure the filter along with the hand full of other bolts you removed to drop the filter. I didn't know this when I first changed mine years ago. When I rebuilt the trans months ago I found one of the nuts forward in the transmission. I have a pic of that in the Auto forum under"bands and drums". Anyway, I also read on the Mitia forums about the pain to reinstall the nuts with out removing the valve body. Not telling you what to do but I left them out. They are on the outside frame of the filter and staight thru on the valve body so I didn't see any harm. Alan

Yes the 88/89 valve body changes you don't loose those two nuts on the top where you can't see them and unless you knew or felt them you'd not know they weren't back on but the bolts go into nothing. While the pan is off adjust the bands, that's in the auto tranny forum how to do that.