Stay carbed or go turbo?

AndyW

So I'v got my 87 Raider. Its a work truck so I'm looking for MPG and reliability and keeping up with interstae traffic. I'm looking for oppinions from some you guys with these trucks. I'm getting 16.5mpg right now which is already an improvment over my 11.5 mpg hemi lol.

I'm torn bwtween a non intercooled setup or a webber and header with a new 2.25 exhaust with both.

The webber and header is an obviously easier job but will it net me better mialage as well as the power?

The turbo swap I have everything but the wiring harness to do it but pulling the head to swap the valves and installing oil squirters dosnt have me to excited lol

What are some of your oppinions? I'm not going for a power monster, just trying to get out of my own way lol

In many cases, a low boost turbo setup will actually yield better mileage.

We put a "homemade" turbo setup on my friend's 2000 Eclipse like 6 years ago, his mileage improved by 4-5mpg at 5psi with a DSM 14b.

Exactly why I was thinking non-intercooled setup with maybe 5-8#. The main thing making me lean towards carb and head is down time, I could do that in an afternoon. Pulling off the topend and rewiring could have me down for a while, and this is my work truck.

Although if I'm going to keep it a lowboost fuel injected setup would the oil squirters be a necessity? That could eliminate a bunch of time if those were not mandatory. Also will the NA crank stand up to boost pressure just fine?

Yeah, I don't think the squirters are necessary. IIRC, the early SQ blocks didn't have them.

I think the crank should be fine also, the nitride coating, as I understand, is mainly to prevent scuffing and has less to do with heat related to turbocharging.

I'd go for it Andy, only issue would be the higher comp flat top pistons. You have a block here if you need it. the crank should be fine. Even the valves could handle stock boost levels IMHO.

Dad

I was hoping you would chime in Randy. No need for the block, this things runs too nice I just couldnt justify changing motors. You have any wiring harness's around?

I was hoping you would chime in Randy. No need for the block, this things runs too nice I just couldnt justify changing motors. You have any wiring harness's around?

Got an auto parts car- was really considering hanging onto the harness tho- mines kinda hacked. Remember you have flat top pistons in that.

Randy

Got an auto parts car- was really considering hanging onto the harness tho- mines kinda hacked. Remember you have flat top pistons in that.

Randy

What does having the flat tops effect? If I keep the boost level at a stock flatty setup would I be safe? If the flatops will just melt ten that would be my deciding factor for the carb right there. This is a work truck so down time is a factor in tearing into the motor.

• 4 months later...
hello there i have a question. stated above somone said oil squirters are not necessary. my question is i have an older forklift motor that doens have them but is .30 over etc. i plan on going with higher compression and a t3 t4 turbo. do i need them or is it just for the track people. thanks

Yeah, I don't think the squirters are necessary. IIRC, the early SQ blocks didn't have them.

83's had squirters... Now I'm second guessing that rebuild on an 83 block we did... pretty sure it had squirters.

-Robert