Alignment help!!

87B71Brad

ok so I put the car on the lift and was gonna adjust the front end a bit (wearing on the insides of front tires) and I dont see any way to adjust the camber on this thing...Did I miss somthing?? The rear looks adjustable but not the front??

I do all my own alignments since I'm a workin white boy and we covered it a lil in shop class in school too long ago...lol

Thanks

Brad

Nope, no camber adjustments front or rear, only toe. If your camber is out you have to replace parts like the strut isolators or the springs. I do my own alignments as well but have put coilovers and camber plates on mine. Double check your toe though, its more likely inner or outer wear is toe related not camber related.

Scott

Nope, no camber adjustments front or rear, only toe. If your camber is out you have to replace parts like the strut isolators or the springs. I do my own alignments as well but have put coilovers and camber plates on mine. Double check your toe though, its more likely inner or outer wear is toe related not camber related.

Scott

ok my tire is leanin in like a mother at the top and its not camber related??? Im not a certified tech but Im not stupid either. The tire would bite ur hand when rubbing across it if the toe was off. meaning it is pulling or getting pushed in a different direction than ur car is going.

Do I need to go to the shop and print out a spec sheet of my front measurements?? Would that make you believe that the camber is off and when I said the camber is off than I know what I'm friggin talkin about!!

I just wish people would listen to me when I say somthing and not think I dont know what the heck I'm talking about when I say it.

And there are camber adjustments for the rear....its on the lower control arm. You see the oval shapped key near the diff?? Well when you turn that it moves the control arm in and out.

omg is anyone else reading this???

Get some MookeeH adjustable camber plates sometime and you get full camber adj.

Yeah i need to. But I'm a poor white boy so coilovers and plates are all in the wish list for now, know what I mean?...lol

mine was eating tires REAL BAD.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/barn/barn010.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/barn/barn007.jpg

we got all but camber back into specs and mine no longer eats tires. the camber wont have as much effect on tire wear as bad toe.

If your camber is out you have to replace parts like the strut isolators or the springs.

Scott

I fixed a camber problem by replacing the isolators at the top of the front strut. Ac ally replaced the shock inserts as well. If the car is sagging it will have more camber. Only use mistu isolators. The after market ones sag from the get go.

And there are camber adjustments for the rear....its on the lower control arm. You see the oval shaped key near the diff?? Well when you turn that it moves the control arm in and out.

That adjustment is primary for the rear alignment and toe. It does have some effect on camber.

There's only two adjustments on the front and its toe in/out from the tie rod ends and caster from the strut rod and that's it. No, there is no front camber adjustment.

I thought that there was a minor camber adjustment from the ball joint mount?

I just had my 88 aligned. All stock with original suspension components. I was eating the inside edge of the LF bad. The shop was able to pull the camber in a bit by turning in the tie rods and strut rods to limit the camber out without screwing up the caster or toe. They essentially got that wheel to meet the other three which are still all out in camber. But the car needs new isolators and springs. All CQs do with original suspension.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/BlackQuest/quest006-5.jpg

funny thing is mine does NOT sit low out front at all, new struts, new isolators and 200-300 lighter out front.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/Misc%20Quest%20Pics/DSCF7348.jpg

I thought that there was a minor camber adjustment from the ball joint mount?

I just had my 88 aligned. All stock with original suspension components. I was eating the inside edge of the LF bad. The shop was able to pull the camber in a bit by turning in the tie rods and strut rods to limit the camber out without screwing up the caster or toe. They essentially got that wheel to meet the other three which are still all out in camber. But the car needs new isolators and springs. All CQs do with original suspension.

They might have ground out the lower ball joint mounting holes so they were oval in the lower control arm is all that way you could adjust camber. The control arm bushing might have been off center or worn too. Strut mounts might seem to be the easy way to solve this but it throws the wheels OUT at the top and they were too far out at the bottom so you get a wider wheel track and that means less responsive steering. A flatsider steers easier and tighter than a widebody because that track is more narrow. People want the widest tire possible and don't think about all that it means. If someone moved the strut rod then it was wrong or someone setup your car what they thought it should be because there isn't any adjustment in the lower ball joint in stock form. If the front cross member was removed, and I'm assuming it was, and that was twisted or slipped to one side and I know those bolt holes aren't tight that could throw camber off too. The unibody being twisted could throw it off. Just time and weight on the front end could throw it off and this is where a strut bar could be used to push the upper mounting points back OUT and not rely on "camber plates" to correct a bent body shell.

for what its worth, this is in the FSM anyway just not described this wayhttp://www.b2600turbo.com/images/84highlights06.jpg

my raised white letters are 60 series yes, but those are also 15in rims ;)

Nice I'm about to order 15 x 8's all around chrome plated Diamond Racing Wheels and I'm not sure if I wanna go 50 or 60 tall cuss my SQ is already lowered some I don't want it too low..

Edited by VICE