aftermarker electric fans for radiator

newquest86

i am looking to replace the factory electric fans with aftermarket i have the *DM aluminum radiator and would like to know if anybody has this radiator or stock and what kind of fans and what size they are that you are using the stock fans just arent cooling good anymore . and yes everything else is good its just a fan problem !

thats what im looking for someone that did this i dont know if i should use two 12" fans that are rated 2000 cfm's or one 16" fan that is 2400 cfm's. i dont know if a 16" fan will even fit thats why im asking how did the 12" fans cool your car did you have ac ? i also have a gm cs 130 alternator 140 amps so voltage is not a problem i will be using an adjustable fan thermostat wired off of the battery to the fans with a radiator fin mounted thermostat so i can set turn on temp i just need to know what size fans fit and how they cool

On my Charger I've used a lot of different aftermarket fans, and the only ones I've had that worked are high flow Spal's. They will suck a paper against the grille of my car (and there is a huge distance there) and cool off my blown bigblock with no sweat. Also never put the fans in front of the radiator as that will just block air flow. Make sure to have some sort of shroud to take full advantage of the radiators core and run off relays. Also ditch that sensor mounted in the fins and go with a true sensor directly in the coolant.

That said on my Quests' I've run both factory setups with no issues. My current one has factory electric fans and never ever runs higher than mid gauge, maybe your factory fans are tired. I noticed a while ago one of my fans seemed lazy and replaced it with a spare. My last Quest received an aftermarket clutch fan with a factory shroud and never even got to reach mid gauge. I'm toying with the idea of going back to the clutch fan on my current car as I think there is a certain piece of mind not depending on relays and electric motors, and the power loss was negligible to me.

If you have a *DM radiator and you are overheating in NJ there must be a problem. I'm in Tampa and mine works fine. Even when one fan was basically not working I was not overheating. I would definitely check out the fans. Some people i think have used Eclipse motors. I'm using stock fans. Has anyone used the clutch fan sucessfully with a *DM?

yea my primary fan is going it didnt run hot last summer this summer the temp is a little bit higher but not overheating i just installed a *DM rad and temp is the same so i want to go with aftermarket electric fans i have stock used fans from a member here that i got for spares but i want to go with new aftermarket clutch fan is nice but not what i want to do thanks for info on that

The pic on this link shows a Griffen not a *DM radiator. Are they the same dimensions?

Actually I was thinking of PQs aluminum radiator, which I think was just a Griffin he modified to work with a Quests factory setup (temperature sensors + mounts). I dont know about *DM, maybe hes doing the same thing, does it say Griffin anywhere on the *DM radiator (lol)?

Just use the stock fans and some foam tape to seal the primary fan to the radiator. I'm running stock fans on my aluminum radiator and have had no problems. Just out of curiosity when was the last time you replaced the T-stat? A stuck thermostat can cause overheating too.

Also do the mod. It helps with cooling. Next to the aircan there are 3 relays. 2 mounted together and 1 by itself. The 1 by itself is the fog relay. The 2 mounted together are the fan relays. Just splice the green wire and the black w/ yellow stripe together. one wire from each relay. There you go, both fans will turn on at the same time.

Edited by ucw458

my stock fans were not producing the proper flow. they appear to be spinnning fast

but they were not flowing the proper cfm. when i put in the 14 incher i could tell

the new fan was pulling more air than the one it replaced. so i decided to do the

secondary as well. made a huge difference.

i got 2 12" fans that work perfect sitting right here, $20 ea + shipping.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/My%20car/car007.jpg

here you can see them when they were mounted to a stock radiator.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/barn/55005.jpg

If i was going aftermarket..this would be the deal for me...I want a twin fans about 2000cfm each with a shroud..it will halp draw air from the corners aswell..a 240sx one should fit

http://www.adrenalinemotorsports.ca/images/forsale/fc235ec4f81bf440f5f1bd289bc4cb16MKIIb.JPG

If i was going aftermarket..this would be the deal for me...I want a twin fans about 2000cfm each with a shroud..it will halp draw air from the corners aswell..a 240sx one should fit

http://www.adrenalinemotorsports.ca/images/forsale/fc235ec4f81bf440f5f1bd289bc4cb16MKIIb.JPG

HAWTNESS