whats that crap under my airbox?

I normally stay out of these forums and let the wiser among us deal with it but....

You are much better off keeping the canister if possible.

It allows the engine to breath without getting oil everywhere.

There's a kit that you can get to replace the stock setup but there is some argument as to how well it works.

i have NEVER seen any ill effects of removing the charcol canister.

What do you do to eliminate the the build-up of crankcase pressure?

The PCV valve won't work under boost and that's when most of the pressure is built up.

You could just put a filter on the back of your valve cover but it would much better with some suction to help it out and with just a filter, you will be dripping oil in no time.

The canister uses the vacuum from the intake side of the turbo to suck out all the pressure from the crankcase, separates the oil, vents the filtered air and returns the oil to the oil pan.

It was pointed out to me that we may be talking about 2 different things.

If you are not talking about the oil separator "canister" (line to the back of the valve cover, one to the oil pan and one to the accordion hose),

then please disregard my posts and I will go back to the BS section.

lol.

yea i still have my oil seperator in place so my crankcase pressure would be the same with or without the charcol canister. the oil seperator has nothing at all to do with it and are two totally different things. all the charcol canister does is recylce fuel vapors and sends them back to the tank, thats why it has a return line to the tank. just emissions crap basically.

I normally stay out of these forums and let the wiser among us deal with it but....

You are much better off keeping the canister if possible.

It allows the engine to breath without getting oil everywhere.

Agreed. I still have mine installed with no ill effects on performance. When you start removing parts....That is where you run into problems. After all, the Charcoal canister most likely after all these years doesn't do any thing anyway in impeeding performance. Sure it takes up a small space, so what.If you look at a Starquest FSM under the Fuel System-Fuel line and Vapor line section you can see the hoses that go to and from the Vacuum Canister. That is a better way for you to see what they are for and their function than me trying to explain it to you.

Good Luck,

CALIBER 308

you could always use the space and opening in the core support vacated by the charcoal canister for a custom cool air pickup. not that it's perfect, but you get the idea.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hschwartz3/1987%20Mitsubishi%20Starion/Misc/coolairpickup.jpg

That is only a filter for fuel tank fumes and there's a valve on top and it lets the fume get sucked into the turbo inlet. Fumes burn you know, its not a "bad" thing for it to be there but it should have been replaced three or four times by now and they never are lol.

Just so the poster is aware of the downside to removing this system. The Fuel Check Valve is part of the system. It prevents fuel leaks in the event of a rollover. One spark is all it takes in a rollover with this system removed to see you and your car go up in flames. And to me, safety takes presidents over added space. I do not and will not give someone advice that might cause serious injury or death in the event of a accident.

With that said, Good Luck,

CALIBER 308

Just so the poster is aware of the downside to removing this system. The Fuel Check Valve is part of the system. It prevents fuel leaks in the event of a rollover. One spark is all it takes in a rollover with this system removed to see you and your car go up in flames. And to me, safety takes presidents over added space. I do not and will not give someone advice that might cause serious injury or death in the event of a accident.

With that said, Good Luck,

CALIBER 308

The above is true....When I removed my charcoal canister and all the lines leading to it, I terminated the line by the rear end, and connected the roll-over valve to the end of that line, that way the tank vents fuel vapors away from the engine, and I have the safety in case of a rollover.

Zack k

The above is true....When I removed my charcoal canister and all the lines leading to it, I terminated the line by the rear end, and connected the roll-over valve to the end of that line, that way the tank vents fuel vapors away from the engine, and I have the safety in case of a rollover.

Zack k

Zack,

Thanks for letting the poster know the ONLY way to do this safely. But I still think leaving it like it is best.

CALIBER 308

Zack,

Thanks for letting the poster know the ONLY way to do this safely. But I still think leaving it like it is best.

CALIBER 308

Yea, it really doesn't hurt anything by leaving it. In my case I needed a little room for the air filter to go lower than where the stock airbox sits (since I'm not using the MAS)

I usually learn everything there is to know about a system or a component before I go ripping things out, and finding out about the consequences later....

Zack K.

I usually learn everything there is to know about a system or a component before I go ripping things out, and finding out about the consequences later....

Zack K.

Excellent advise.

CALIBER 308

Excellent advise.

CALIBER 308

Yea, but try to explain that to the newbies, LOL. I have a guy on an another thread that thinks he can get a TIG welded stainless exhaust manifold that will be durable and flow better, all for $100, including materials, LOL.

Zack K.

Yea, but try to explain that to the newbies, LOL.

Zack K.

Agreed. All a person can do is to try and lead them in the right direction. If you tell them to go north, and they go south..That is no ones fault but their own.

CALIBER 308