WOOT!! ... then OMG

Just a random bored vent of excitement. So finally got the EDIS issue figured out (i think) so I turned up the boost to 18ish and went for a spin, pun intended ;) Anyways so it pulled up to 18.5 psi like a train! .. but I could CLEARLY hear it knocking and power dropped so I let off asap. Felt a lot like a soft rev limit kicked in. Went back to look at the datalog and ... $%! Leaned out a bit under that boost and EGTs are scary high there. My EGT signal is crazy noisy but it gives a vague idea. Time to add a bunch of fuel to the top of the map and try again. Good new is it looks like my 75# injectors have plenty to spare. Glad I have a spare head gasket on the shelf. I may need it soon. All in the name of progress! :D

http://a.imageshack.us/img705/5079/185psi8510.png

SO what was the fix for it? I am impressed to see where you hit 18.5psi. It's not much after where my hy35 was.

Shawn

Dropped the plug gap to .028 and ran a ground wire from the head to both sides of the coilpack. So far so good.

I think the Bullseye .70 AR hotside really helps out. The stock HX35W 12cm^2 hotside was huge, not to mention 15 pounds heavier. It's nice when things finally seem to be working out! Damn near put the car into a curb when it broke loose on me yesterday... phew. Mental note: 3rd gear 18psi WILL break tires loose :)

I'm a total MPI newb....I don't know a thing. How the heck do you read those charts??

Put your 3D glasses back on B)

The only value you can really read there is right where the cursor (white line) is. Diff color lines correspond to the same color legend in the upper right corner of each graph. You will learn young grasshopper.

BTW Buy that Atlantic shell that Gary is selling ;)

Edited by psu_Crash

I need this.

I gotta call Bullseye soon and see what they can set me up with for the H1E.

Is the H1E hotside a v-band or 4-bolt to the center cartridge? If it's 4-bolt you probably use the same housing I have. Somewhere I have the contact info for bullseye. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edited by psu_Crash

Cool .028 seemed to help. That makes sense about the ground. My bracket for the coil is bolted to the block so I am grounding off it too. Yeah I was impressed when I got the car to start running. I smelt burnt rubber a lot. 1rst 2nd and 3rd from a roll will break them loose.

Shawn

Just a random bored vent of excitement. So finally got the EDIS issue figured out (i think) so I turned up the boost to 18ish and went for a spin, pun intended ;) Anyways so it pulled up to 18.5 psi like a train! .. but I could CLEARLY hear it knocking and power dropped so I let off asap. Felt a lot like a soft rev limit kicked in. Went back to look at the datalog and ... $%! Leaned out a bit under that boost and EGTs are scary high there. My EGT signal is crazy noisy but it gives a vague idea. Time to add a bunch of fuel to the top of the map and try again. Good new is it looks like my 75# injectors have plenty to spare. Glad I have a spare head gasket on the shelf. I may need it soon. All in the name of progress! :D

http://a.imageshack.us/img705/5079/185psi8510.png

12.7 is a litle lean for that boost but not terrible it shouldnt have caused a lean miss? What did you end up with for an AFR after you fattened it up and did it let you pull through to much higher RPM?

I don't think it was a lean miss, pretty sure it was just high EGT and knocking. I brought AFR down to about 11.7 at WOT and near redline. I know that seems too rich especially with the spray going, but at 12.7 I was making popcorn. I added a bunch of fuel to be safe. I'll lean it back some this weekend when I can tune from the passenger seat.

• 3 weeks later...

I need this.

I gotta call Bullseye soon and see what they can set me up with for the H1E.

Is the H1E hotside a v-band or 4-bolt to the center cartridge? If it's 4-bolt you probably use the same housing I have. Somewhere I have the contact info for bullseye. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Bullseye Turbos: 1-877-784-0379

If you're looking for more help on what they have, PM the member on here named BROWN - first name is John. He (was/is) a Bullseye rep, and will hook you up right. I haven't seen him around here for a while, but I've been here less often myself.

Edited by mstieg

Really, 12.7 too lean? I run mine about that, stock bottom end though. I don't hear any detonation.

12.7 at that boost should be a recipe for distaster. Maybe since your static compression is slightly lower?? I have always aimed for high 11's over 15psi.