Hasn't started in about 10 years!

Crash

From the best I can remember, I think I last started my 87 Quest back in 2000. Somewhere around there, I pulled out a whole bunch of things to start working on it (hoses, pipes, intercooler, air canister, etc.) and then I was forced to get it into storage quickly. I pulled it out of storage about 4 years ago and it's been sitting in my driveway ever since. Yesterday, I put 90% of everything (that I took out) back under the hood - all I have left is to bolt in the intercooler and make the connections. My "plan" is to (1) see if I can get it started and (2) if I can get it started, I'll have it towed across the street where I can get it on a lift in order to see what kind of shape the frame is in to see if it's worth moving forward. If you're still reading and don't think I'm crazy, here's my question. Is there anything I'm missing from the following list BEFORE I even try to start up a car that has not been started for 10 years?

Make all connections under the hood.

New battery.

Drain and replace oil and filter.

Fresh gas (w/ dry gas?).

Despite being benched for the last 10 years, I have always been a regular reader of this site and I appreciate any help you could give me.

Oh and the car got this way in the first place when I got into an accident. I didn't sit it out of hatred!

Scott

Turn the key and start it.

i did this on one that had sat for 9 years,,the gas tank inside was a total mess,, absolute trash,,nothing was useable on the tank,, thats why i'd sugest NOT turning the key and trying to start the car,, my injs were fine because it nevr got any of that trash pump'd into them ,odds are very good your pump won't have run any way

also the metal fuel lines can have rust and trash in them so do not have the fuel line connect'd to the fuel filter when the gas is first pump'd alow it to run into a container untill it runs clean and clear,, i have also found several rubber hoses from metal line to the fuel filter plug'd solid over the years

I have started several StarQuest after they say for more than 3 years. The injecors were varnished shut and would not operate until after I pulled them and had them cleaned. It will start for a couple of seconds with starting fluid or gasoline poured down the TB.

Thanks everyone for your responses. So far it sounds like the two most important things are seeing if I can crank it by hand and according to Shelby, I should pull the tank and clean it out. Pulling the tank sounds like a bit of work without knowing if the car will even crank but if it's a necessary step in the process, so be it...

Scott

over simplification a little aren't we,, what i said was you do not want to run the old fuel pump while dirt and trash may flow thru the fuel lines,, and plug up posibly good injs,, of course take a wrench and see if the engine turns

but befor trying to crank the engine with the starter i'd unplug the fuel pump

check the oil level , coolant level and to see if any visiable parts are missing

In addition to what everyone else suggested above, I would prime the engine oil pump with oil; and when you replace the engine oil I would remove the engine valve cover and pour the new oil over the entire valve train. ;)

Don't forget to add oil to the new oil filter before installing it.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

my advice here is to NOT change the oil and filter ,,untill the engine has start'd and ran , draining the oil on an engine that has sat for a very long time can cause a dry oil pump start up,, of course if the oil level is low add to it,,but do not remove the oil filter or drain plug , and if theres water in the oil the engine isn't ready to run any way ,,,

Marvel Mystery Oil works wonders. I filled the cylinders in my Omni up to the top and put an old set of plugs in...let it sit for a week then pulled the plugs out, pumped the remaining mystery oil out and put a new set of plugs in...put power and gas to her, she started without issue...and that one sat for 15 years...lol

You are making this too complicated. If the tank and lines are full of crap big deal, you'll get to find out won't you? The crap won't get past the filter under the hood or the screen in the throttlebody and if its sat this long aren't you going to clean and rebuild this anyway? It will either start or it won't, and it was sitting for a reason. When its head cracked or the gasket blew and the coolant was laying in the cylinders eating them up for those ten years it isn't going to matter what some old fuel does or doesn't do.

I just wanted to tell you, good luck, we're all counting on you.

Most of us are counting on that you do not follow Indiana's poor advice, and listen to Shelby. This guy has a much better grasp on things here, and is very wise. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll run into no problems.

Oh...and welcome back to the driver's seat. :)

Most of us are counting on that you do not follow Indiana's poor advice, and listen to Shelby. This guy has a much better grasp on things here, and is very wise. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll run into no problems.

Oh...and welcome back to the driver's seat. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

this isn't very fair to Indiana he gives very usefull infomation on here and is a huge help to me and others .

if there is one thing i have learn'd over my life it's that nothing is cut and dry'd ,no two cars are exactly the same , what happens to one may or may not happen to another , and in most cases useing common sense is the best route to travel

most of us will want to jump in and turn the key and see what happens ,some times this is not the best way to start , it only takes 15 min to remove the intank pick up assy and inspect the gas tank inside,, and it's some thing that you will do any way befor your done,,

but same holds true for checking to see if the engine will turn over is a good place to start along with a complete visual inspection