i forgot to prime my oil pump

jayro

pull out that plug where everyone puts the mechanical oil pressure gauge, or disconnect your gauge if you have one. hang a fitting in it and about 3-4' of hose with a funnell attatched to the other end of it. hang the funnell up high like off the corner of your hood, the higher the better so you get more gravity pushing the oil in. then proceed to pour in about a qt. or more of oil. this port iirc goes pretty much straight into the oil pump, or at least its the shortest route i can think of.

pull out that plug where everyone puts the mechanical oil pressure gauge, or disconnect your gauge if you have one. hang a fitting in it and about 3-4' of hose with a funnell attatched to the other end of it. hang the funnell up high like off the corner of your hood, the higher the better so you get more gravity pushing the oil in. then proceed to pour in about a qt. or more of oil. this port iirc goes pretty much straight into the oil pump, or at least its the shortest route i can think of.

Even easier is to pull off the oil filter and fit a hose on the spindle bolt and a big tail hose then fill it up

Squirt some more oil in there. An oil squirter can works great for these. I've even used an old hand soap pump before. After that, unplug the fuel injectors and remove the spark plugs, THEN crank. This is so you're not dumping fuel into the engine and the spark plugs are removed to make it easier for the starter to turn the engine. It may take a lot of cranking, use 10 second bursts with 10 second cool down time so you don't over heat your starter motor... I've ran them longer than that, but I'm crazy.

Don't start your car until you have oil pressure. You can leave the valve cover off to verify. You'll hear a squishing sucking sound when it first starts to pressurize. The starter sound will change, BTW, you should have it hooked up to a charger to prevent the battery from draining... that is very bad for batteries.

Crank away.

-Robert

WELL I TRIED PULLING THE FILTER AND FILLING WITH OIL FROM THERE BUT STILL NO PRESSURE

All that everybody is saying will work. I think we need a little more detail of what exactly you did to the engine, and why. Then what exactly are you doing to try and build pressure.

If you did a complete rebuild, you may not build pressure until you get it started. And that's because you gotta two oil galleys to fill first. They travel the length of the block. But if you didn't do a full rebuild, those galleys should still be mostly full and pressure should not be an issue, unless you did not install the pump right, or something else broke(it's happen to me before).

So give us some more info, and I'm sure we will lead you straight to the problem.

my father had an issue on a old truck once like this. couldnt get it to pick up oil pressure after a oil pump replacement. ended up filling the engine with about 2-3 gals of oil to insure it was at a level it would for sure prime. once it picked it up, of course had to drain all that . but it worked.maybe a last ditch effort.

IM GOOD I GOT OIL PRESSURE. I DID A NEW PUMP AND SILENT SHAFT ELIMINATION. UMM I GOT THE CAR IN A NON RUNNING STATE AND IVE DONE TONES OF THINGS TO IT BUT ITS NOT IDLING RIGHT. ILL POST A VID SO U GUYS CAN HELP M OUT. ID PUT PIKS BUT THERE TOO BIG