18G in the Stock Housing?

Wondering if someone has done this?

Just buying the 18G wheel, replace the 12A and machine the stock comressor housing to fit the larger wheel? would the walls of the entrance of the housing be to thin? Not sure whats the biggest wheel to use on the stock housing. if not then what housing would I need to keep the stock IC hoses and accordion hose? whant to keep the factory look.

Wondering if someone has done this?

Just buying the 18G wheel, replace the 12A and machine the stock comressor housing to fit the larger wheel? would the walls of the entrance of the housing be to thin? Not sure whats the biggest wheel to use on the stock housing. if not then what housing would I need to keep the stock IC hoses and accordion hose? whant to keep the factory look.

Yes this is what an 18g is...your 12a machined out. etc etc...make sure you get your turbo balanced with the new wheel. I may have left some info out...so anyone who wants to jump in and correct me please do.

you have to do a step style machining. if you do a straigh bore for the size of the inducer on the compressor wheel it will break the housings, you have to do a partial step on the intake tube about halfway down. then where the metal gets thicker you can step the machining out and bore to the size of the inducer. its alot of work and takes alot of patience.

in my best opinion its not worth it, just go with a evo3 16g and you will be more than happy.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this....

Turbo Compressor Housing TD05H + Wheel 18G

Would this work with the stock Turbo?

Having it balance - re built

just swap compressor housing and I guess i'll need the adapter to fit the hose on the 2 bolts

Looks like this is a 14B housing right?!

Edited by OPTIMUSPRIME

You don't have an 18g then..sounds like the 12a still to me...My 18g was from Trilogy turbos and my car was modded to the T and mine would get full boost at 3500 like 10 lbs.

But hey maybe I am wrong...I just know mine was way laggy after 18g went in.

Its deff not a 12a you can see the wheel size difference. Look at how much its ported.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/cid__downsized950522001703.jpg

It is just my luck to always get something with the most lag and others get a benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

a slight loss in spool time is always gona be the off set of going to a larger turbo compressor wheel,, from what i have learn'd most mits turbo's use the oem 12a compressor houseing all the way up to the 18g,, after that you use a 06 compressor houseing so the 20g wheel will fit , useing a larger exh turbine 05H can help with the spool up over the 05 oem houseing ,, the houseing can port'd to except the 05H exh wheel , the larger wheel can help the spool time on the lower end,,

the problem is engine cid and volume of air flow,,at lower rpms the engine simply does not flow enought air to spool the larger turbine untill 2000-2500 rpms ,smaller exh turbines spool quicker cause they need less air flow but do not have room for high rpm exh flow , also note that higher engine rpms and add'd boost requires the exh waste gate passages be port'd to alow the increase 'd air low thru the exh houseing when useing a biger hot and cold side turbine