Silicone Heater Hose Max Temp??

psu_Crash

While redoing the oil drain line on the holset I noticed that the S shaped heater hose is the perfect shape. It's one of the silicone ones that 101 sold a while back. I cut about 1" off each end and it's like it was made to fit.

The problem is that the silicone hose comes within about a 3/8" of the exhaust manifold on the first bend. Doing a little googleing showed that the max temp for a silicone heater hose is 350F give or take a few depending where you look. Sounds to me if I run it like that I may melt the hose? I have a few ideas to try and insulate it too. Like header wrap in the area that is close. Or using a heat resistant sheath/loom.

Opinions and experiences?

My Ranger's got a small diameter tube the runs off the driver's side exhaust manifold. That tube's got two more lines that branch off of it that got to what I believe is an EGR sensor. It's connected with sections of silicone line. The original stuff held up fine and would likely still be on the truck, but I had to change that sensonr to an updated version that connected a little differently. The hoses I took off were still soft and pliable...after a dozen years on the truck. Seems silicone handles the heat very well. If you're worried about it though go ahead and wrap it. Better to be safe and have that peace of mind.

well, I wonder how hot is the oil that is pouring out of your turbo at full boost.

Hopefully not over 350

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll see what I can come up with for a heat shield just to be safe. Melting that and dumping oil on a hot manifold surely spells disaster!

mike i dont know about silicone and oil combo, if the s bend water hose works, y not spend the 7 bux for a stock 1 it wont have any problems with the oil or the heat

charles has a point if the stock hose doesn't fail, the silicone will be fine.

otherwise post a picture so some of us can understand better,

because your (stock) exhaust manifold should be at least 6 or more inches (away from the hose) just by matter of the original design.

Post a picture and it will be much easier to understand, because I believe the heater hose you mention should be attached to a long pipe on the exhaust side (left) of the engine block that bends and attaches behind the engine (to the right side) well away from the exhaust manifold.

looking at a parts sheet, the hose I believe your referring to is not considered a "heater bypass hose"

Sorry I just read your signature and you have a dual exhaust with a Chad MPI,

your question would probably serve better in the MPI forum, but understand why you would post in BS because of the traffic.

Edited by starion_cult

OK so here are some pics to clear it up the confusion. It's not really MPI related. I'm using line line for oil return from the Holset with a -10an adapter off the turbo. I see alot of the DSM guys use silicone hose for the turbo oil drain.

Charlie I'm just using what I have to try and be ready for the weekend. I'll have to check and see if I can get a stock S line in before saturday.

Edit: Just ordered the stock S hose from Napa. It'll be here in the morning.

The clearance from the manifold. I got if a little further away now.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6782/img0851q.jpg

Stuck the camera under there to try and get a better view.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9376/img0849lw.jpg

And a cross section shot of the part I cut off so you know what the hose looks like.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6053/img0853nd.jpg

Edited by psu_Crash

DO NOT use a coolant hose for oil. Oil lines are chemically different than water lines. Ever try using some 5/8 heater hose for a stock oil drainback line? I have and the hose turns to jello and sweats oil. Rediculously pliable after just 1 months use. With it that close to the exhaust you run the risk of melting a hole in it and pumping all your oil onto the ground before you realize there's a problem. Always use a hose rated for oil on a drainback or any other oil line.

DO NOT use a coolant hose for oil. Oil lines are chemically different than water lines. Ever try using some 5/8 heater hose for a stock oil drainback line? I have and the hose turns to jello and sweats oil. Rediculously pliable after just 1 months use. With it that close to the exhaust you run the risk of melting a hole in it and pumping all your oil onto the ground before you realize there's a problem. Always use a hose rated for oil on a drainback or any other oil line.

Have you ever seen a car pump a quart of hot oil onto a glowing exhaust manifold? :blink: :o

x2

psu_Crash

sorry man I my comprehension skills were lacking..when I first read your post.

thank you for posting the pictures

I have an SS braided line that's pretty sweet.

-Robert

SS Braided has a liner and usually fail after time just like cloth braided but you don't notice until its too late.

SS Braided can deteriorate prematurely if radius bends are not correct or extreme.

Edited by starion_cult

I have all the fittings and pieces of SS hose but I haven't been able to get the swivel fitting to stop leaking oil. Also couldn't get the SS line to bend the way I wanted it to so that was the main reason for going with this.

So the consensus is that Silicone heater hose is bad. OK I'll take it off. I'll see in the morning if the line I ordered is oil compatible and it's temp constraints.

Dale I just may order that line. Looks like good stuff!

Edit: Found this hose and it seems to fit the bill perfectly

http://himni-racing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=521

Edited by psu_Crash