Destroker kit?

mark458

My 89 starion SHP w/ 55k miles is knocking. Id like to be able to take the engine to 7-8k I know destroking it will let me do this. I want a forged destroker kit for it ANY advice on where to get one?

... what?? LOL...

-Robert

....same here., lol

Daniel

Edited by dstar88

Mitsubishi 4D55 crank will shorten your stroke. Finding longer rods or pistons with a larger pin height will be a trick. Edited by Maxzillian

4d55 is the 2.3 diesel version of the same block in your car that came in early 80s trucks here. They are many rods that could be fit to this motor, some that would need a larger pin in the end, some that wound need reworked to fit the crank journal its all just time and money but why? You rev this motor that high and you have a big time OIL PUMP problem. That oil pump can't work at those rpms, it sucks the pan empty before the oil gets back down there and that's happening already before the limits you are wanting to go. You would have to get a different way to regulator pressure or use a dry sump setup. A stock tranny isn't going to work for you either. Sounds like you have a sack of money to blow so I'd suggest you get a 2.4 block instead and an adapter for an automatic tranny. A Torqueflite kit I believe is in the works.

just thinking about it, dont the NA pistons come up higher than ours? maybe our block, diesel crank, and truck rods/pistons(or combo of turbo and NA).

if anyone has some og these parts around to measure thad be awesome to see if it would work.

Diesel pistons are smaller bore won't work and flat top pistons won't work for turbos because of the way the fuel burns, or doesn't and you only get a few psi boost and it detonates and something blows. The dish in the piston isn't just to lower the CR its to make the fuel mix push across the piston at TDC and burn faster. Dry sump means you cut the pan shallow, put some tubes in it in several places and in the head to suck up every bit of oil you can then dump that into a large canister and use another pump to draw from that and push it back into the motor. This is external belt driven could also be for your power steering to and all the plumbing ran to different parts of the motor and a modified oil pan.

AMS sells one for the 4g63, its just a bit under 5000.00

4d55 is a 91mm bore. so,,,,,, but the pistons are cut so that the valves fit into the pistons at tdc. were talkin 20 to 1 compression and 350psi cyl pressure.

off wiki:

g54b: bore x stroke at 91.1 mm x 98.0 mm

4d55: Bore - 91.1mm Stroke - 90.0mm

4g64: 86.5 mm bore and 100 mm stroke

4g63: 85 mm Bore x 88 mm Stroke

as it is wiki. these numbers are up for debate, but it seems that we just have to find somewhere to add 8mm to the diesel piston/rod assembly. is there such a thing as offset bushings? probly couldnt get much out of em. how long are 4g64 rods?

(i have no experience with this stuff, just figuring it out and thinking out loud for verification and perhaps direction)

4d55 block has 18 head bolt locations. not probbably gonna work not to mention the belt driven fuel injection pump and overall differences in the front end. but i think the rods are longer to help boost the compression. maybe 2.6 block 2.3 (4d55) crank and rods 2.6 pistons but i forget the wrist pin size off the top of my head....... but pistons could be machined larger. also 4d55 has bottom squirter's too. but lower oil pressure. that is another reason not to use that block. alot lower. 10 psi at idle.....

sounds like we need to get some 4d55 internals and start doing some measurements. my brother has a diesel d-50 but he's kind of using the block at the moment lol. was that motor availible in anything else? is the bore spacing the same?

it came in 83-85 mm and d50. also in some ford rangers from 85 and 86 if i remember. there is a crank on flea bay now but it is way overpriced. the rangers were diferent too they were a serpentine belt vs a double v groove pulley. now if you think for one second that starquest parts are hard to find,,,,,good luck my friends they are out there but in alot fewer numbers. and there is also its bigger brother the 4d56 it is only used overseas. it is a 2.5 and i think the bigger displacement comes from the heads not the cranks. enjoy hunting. Edited by wrngwae

Difference between heads is only big injectors (early) v small injectors, displacement difference is stroke.

Also check Hyundai, they called it a D4b in H100 vans. Down here parts are plentiful, can still buy new complete engines.

i knew there was a difference on the 83 injectors and heads but i thought the 4d56 was in the head and the pump stroke. hasn't the 4d56 been updated to a common rail diesel too? than there is the 4m40,,,,,, Edited by wrngwae

I was thinking 9:1 compression completely forged bottom end, larger turbo, MPI, and... someone stole my 9in. rims.... so need new shp 9's. Oh what kind of power can the stoke tranny and rear end handle?