Whats the deal with MAF translators

nickireson

Somebody with a few extra mins wanna tell me why its worth the 300 bucks for the translator and MAF? Much appreciated.

P.S Right now I run 1g MAF and profec boost controller....15 psi, im not too impressed, hardly notice a difference from stock

^ what he said.

Also 15psi on a completely stock car will not feel all that much better. You have to let your car breathe with other modifications and a bigger turbo is probably the biggest difference. Unless of course you are already using a different turbo :P

^ what he said.

Also 15psi on a completely stock car will not feel all that much better. You have to let your car breathe with other modifications and a bigger turbo is probably the biggest difference. Unless of course you are already using a different turbo :P

I raced my buddy in his stock 88. Since it was an 88 he had 10 psi of boost. My 87 had 2.5 exhaust, no cats, OVC pipe and stock 7psi boost. My 87 walked away from his 88.

here's a more detailed explanation

your ECU determines injector pulse width by the amount of air registered through the air flow meter (in conjunction with other sensors)

the stock air flow sensors (MAF) send a HZ frequency signal to the ecu that is directly related to air flow. as the flow increased, the HZ increases.

gm MAF send a voltage signal that increases with air flow

the maf translator MAFT take the gm voltage signal and translates it to a HZ signal that our ECU's can use to determine pulse width. but, the MAFT is tunable, meaning you can alter the range and amount at which the voltage signal gets translated to a HZ signal, in order to optimize your pulse width.

Somebody with a few extra mins wanna tell me why its worth the 300 bucks for the translator and MAF? Much appreciated.

P.S Right now I run 1g MAF and profec boost controller....15 psi, im not too impressed, hardly notice a difference from stock

What turbo and mods are on the car.

Order of mods should be exhaust, wide band, turbo, than intercooler. If at any point the car does not seem to run right, move the wide band to the top of the list. Everything else is just bling. If or when you get a rich misfire, lean condition or a big buck "fuel cut" symptoms than try the maft.

I do not consider fuel system maintenance a mod. A wide band will give clues if your fuel pump is tired. As will a fuel pressure gauge. I suspect there are a lot of good fuel pump on the scrap pile.

Edited by StarquestRescue

to be honest, a properly tuned MAFT can get you power and better drive ability than a completely stock system. even just a well tuned maft on an otherwise stock system could yeild more power and throttle response. but, it DOES come down to how well it's tuned.

ya I just bought one and I can't wait till I get it on with my wide band, I am actually gonna take it to a local tuning shop and have them ajust it for me...hey side note I don't want to thread jack but dose the 85 have a knoc sensor? cause that is one of the things the shop asked me.