performance clutch question

hey guys new to the site just thought i would start with a good question. i have a 1987 conquest with a slipping clutch wondering which ones you all perfer my quest has the 14b turbo running 15psi upgraded ecu and maf and the factory clutch wont hold i was looking at tep 6puck clutch but was wondering what you think about thier clutces and which ones you run in yours also bought the car from MGrissom18 so im in the north alabama area Edited by StreetVelocity

You should consider an 88/89 flywheel that lets you use the larger diameter disc, yours now is 225mm and you can get one for a 240mm diameter. If you don't want to go with a cast iron wheel you can get an aluminum one.

There is a comp clutch set up in the group buy section that is top notch.I just bought one a few months ago.They are in stage 2or4 and Great Quality. Other people have liked act,fidanza,exedy(dakini). I had some good luck with centerforce daul friction that I had for awhile.

I've used several different clutches and flywheels on several different StarQuests. The best combination for street driving is the ACT HD and Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Anything more agressive than that will be a bit stiffer and not quite as smooth. You really should upgrade to the larger flywheel too. It doesn't need to be the Fidanza, but a stock 240mm will hold much better. The ACT is very expensive, but well worth it. Smooth and mega strong. You can go one step up from HD too and it will be very streetable and hold better, but I don't think you need the Extreme.

I have the TEP street strip clutch in another one, and it holds well, but is way stiff and grabby and I don't recommend it if you drive it on the street much. It will chatter if it gets too hot and you drive on the street very much at all.

I have a Luk in yet another and it holds decent with a stock feel. I wouldn't run it in a higher than stock boost widebody though. I am running it in the CBRII with a lightened stock 225mm flywheel at 10 PSI intercooled boost with a 14G. Light car and relatively modest boost.

thanks for all the help i went with the stg 4 comp clutch and lightened flywheel best bang for the buck and only took one day to get im very pleased with the service and im sure ill be happy with it

I have the same clutch/package starts out very grabbie, then it smooths out very nice with time. I've had it for about 6 mths now and I can chirp out of 1st with very little effort. I'm very pleased with it.

I have the same clutch/package starts out very grabbie, then it smooths out very nice with time. I've had it for about 6 mths now and I can chirp out of 1st with very little effort. I'm very pleased with it.

thats good to hear how grabby was it will i chirp real bad in first and hows the flywheel feel can you notice a diffrence

I think he meant he can chirp it coming out of first into second. Basically chirping second gear, not when letting out the clutch from a dead start. Although, I feel it will do that fairly easily too. The thing about those grabby clutches is they won't lug very well either. They will make the whole car hop if you don't push it in soon enough.

Grabby off the line isn't necessarily a clutch that grabs harder all together. It is a sign of a cheaper quality clutch.

With the mods you have, a "heavy duty" Daikin clutch is all you need. Daikin comes repackaged in Exedy boxes, so called "performance". You can go with the 88-89 flywheel and clutch set up as it is a larger diameter.

I say that would be sufficient enough for what you got. No need to get them 6 puck clutches or them crazy fancy shmancy clutches when all you're doing is daliy driving this thing.

thats good to hear how grabby was it will i chirp real bad in first and hows the flywheel feel can you notice a diffrence

I'm sure in the first couple of hundred miles of this clutch/flywheel package you won't battle at all with tire spin. You have to get used to the pedal feel as if you don't catch it right it can shake your drive train.

The chirp I was mentioning is that with very little gas pedal pressure you can spin/chirp off of the start very easily. (i'm sure through the gears too, but I don't like to do those things now to this car)

500 miles later, the pedal feel is no longer stiff and very smooth as well as engaging the clutch now. Its mint, with an agressive feel if I want. No longer battling drive train hop.

As for the flywheel, I used to say I can feel 5hp gains in aftermarket products but I don't think true as its probably impossible without some computer generated dyno results to really track. Seat of the pants not much difference feel for me to rate flywheels, but I do believe its a better combo package to have. good luck