88 to 86 wire harness transfer

hello i have both a 88 and a 86 conquest and i wanted to do a wire harness transfer to make the 88 a 86 and 86 the 88.... any ideas where to start is there anyone out there that can perform this for me i live in whittier CA. let me know if this is possible and how much it would coast me...

thanks

If you're talking about the engine harness only, not really a big deal. If you're swapping the main harness, then you're looking at a big job there. I did it and it took a VERY long time. Also, I can understand swapping out one harness to another car but why swapping harnesses between two cars? That just seems silly to me unless again you're only planning to swap the engine harnesses then you have my approval :D

You can if you are patient remove the harness behind the dash but likely you'll have to pull the dash loose at least. The ECU harness to get out is easier you have to remove the radiator and the protector tin plate in front of it and the heater blower box because the harness passes through the firewall behind it. On the driver side you'll have to remove the fuse boxes and the main harness goes through the firewall on the drivers side.

You'll have to use the 86 throttlebody with the 86 harness unless you upgrade that.

Edited by Indiana

hello i have both a 88 and a 86 conquest and i wanted to do a wire harness transfer to make the 88 a 86 and 86 the 88.... any ideas where to start is there anyone out there that can perform this for me i live in whittier CA. let me know if this is possible and how much it would coast me...

thanks

I've done it a couple times, my current car is an 86 with an 88 harness. would it be done at your house or would it have to be done at mine? I live in Rancho Cucamonga.

Cucamonga University is the biggest number ever. Bigger than infinity.

Why put the 86 stuff into an 88? Just put a different engine in the 88, like a 6g72.

Huh? What's Cucamonga University? Maybe if you had went to a university you would know that you need a noun, a verb and a couple more adjectives to make a sentence that actually makes sense. Good luck with that...

i need the 88 to run after thats why i want to put the 86 to the 88. the 88 is a clean conquest. but i dont need 2 conquest. so i wanna sell the 88. the 86 my dad has had since he bought it in 86 so it needs to stay in the family. the 88 i bought so i can sell it.

I've done it a couple times, my current car is an 86 with an 88 harness. would it be done at your house or would it have to be done at mine? I live in Rancho Cucamonga.

it depends i have everything at my house including both cars side by side. so you can do this? how much would this coast me? I came to the conclusion that i want to keep the 86 and sell the 88.

I'd keep the 86 harness and ECU the way it is in the 86 car. There is a FCD you can get if you think there is a fuel cut issue and using a SAFC or MAFT on an 86 you can swap them both to be 87+ secondary injectors so I don't see the reason behind what you are doing. With just that FCD or the homemade version of it you can do the same thing the 88/89 does.

You can wire a 4.3v zener diode between the MAP sensor signal and ground to trick the ECU, and it won't fuel cut at higher boost.

FCD Zener Install

86 to 88 ECU Conversion

The 86 will run just as fine as an 88, just make sure you keep your sensors and injectors in check.

The 88 doesn't run, because of an ECU issue or...??

-Robert

i did not know that was possible everyone always told me that the 88 89 were way better cars then the 86 because of the ecu and wire harness...

well what i would like to do is what you guys mentioned. i also was wondering if i could put my first gen mass air i have on my 88 on my 86. i like the cone filter and i noticed a big difference in my 88 when i upgraded to the the mass from the stock 88 to the 1st gen cone housing. can i make the 1st gen work on my 86....

I read an article long ago of a turbo fwd colt, with traction problems @21psi still on stock TBI electronics. Said a simple manual boost controller was used inline to regulate how much psi the oe map sensor "saw". He used a boost gauge to set the MBC just below the ecu oe trip point.

I guess this method would also never hit the fuel-cut "trigger voltage".... a mechanical equivalent to the zener diode/FCD I suppose.

Article did mention the car running rich at higher boost, so the the MAFS or TPS or preset ecu maps must take over

Any 86s with a SAFC? would fix that I'd think

Those "wierd" 86s that run fine without a MAFS, is another story tho