#21 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Ok guys finally got the parts car and its supposed to be in the 50's wensday and thursday so hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on the banana after i get off work, but no promises.  I also have picked up an safc-2 that will be going into my car. Got it for 100$. Couldnt pass it up at that price. My parts car has an aftermarket grant steering wheel that i think is also going to find its way into my car.  

Now i do have a few questions for you guys.  My car is an 89 but for some reason has 4 bolt axles in the rear.  The parts car how ever has six bolt rear end in it.  Whats the difference in the two?  Are the 4 bolt axles weaker?  Cause i know u cant get 6 bolt axles but u can still find remaned 4 bolt axles.  This makes me kinda want to just keep the 4 bolt rear end.

Next question is whats the easiest way to get the block and trans out?  As one peice or pull the block then pull the trans?  

Next. I know i'll be able to get rid of the trans cooler since im swapping to five speed, but can i move the oil cooler down to where the stock trans cooler is/was?

#22 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

No one?

#23 leesfer

leesfer

Jurassic Parts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:Speed
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

I can't comment on the other things, but I think the general consensus here is that pulling the motor is easier without the trans
1986 Mitsubishi Starion: Holset HX35, BEP .63A/R hot side, Turbonetics T3 manifold, Magna MPI with 65mm TB, Schneider valve springs, roller rockers and Howlin' Banshee cam, MegaSquirt ECU, Turbosmart 38MM wastegate, TurboXS RFL blow off valve, 2.5" hard pipes, 4" *DM intercooler, SR20 aluminum radiator and fan shroud, MSD 6al and tach adapter, MSD Blaster 2 coil, NGK plugs and wires

Leesfer's Build Thread

#24 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Ok, guys got the motor out today.  And the oil pan off.  Is there supposed to be something that bolts to the block inside of the oil pan?  It looks like there should be something by rods number 2 and 3. But theres nothing there?  I'll get pics tomorrow.  Im pretty sure the bottom end has been balanced also.  I'll get pics tommorrow to explain more.

#25 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What goes here????
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 leesfer

leesfer

Jurassic Parts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

What's the logo on the bottom of the piston? Looks like there is something under the rod there
1986 Mitsubishi Starion: Holset HX35, BEP .63A/R hot side, Turbonetics T3 manifold, Magna MPI with 65mm TB, Schneider valve springs, roller rockers and Howlin' Banshee cam, MegaSquirt ECU, Turbosmart 38MM wastegate, TurboXS RFL blow off valve, 2.5" hard pipes, 4" *DM intercooler, SR20 aluminum radiator and fan shroud, MSD 6al and tach adapter, MSD Blaster 2 coil, NGK plugs and wires

Leesfer's Build Thread

#27 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

It says 90m

#28 leesfer

leesfer

Jurassic Parts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

If they were Wiseco, Ross, JE, etc they would have the logo stamped on the bottom there

You might be in the same boat as me, I still haven't figured out what my pistons are...

Yours look like they are forged though

Leesfer's Build Thread

#29 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yea,  well then its just the issue of how far do i push them?

#30 leesfer

leesfer

Jurassic Parts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

As long as your tune is good then push them as far as you want

If you are TBI then you won't be able to push them to their limits anyway, you'll maxing out at some where around 350WHP

I'm going to be pushing my hyper-u's over 400WHP but as long as the tune is spot on, there wont be a problem

Leesfer's Build Thread

#31 Indiana

Indiana

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,728 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

View Post89BananaQuest, on 25 February 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

What goes here????
Posted Image

Those four circular points were likely some mounting point that had to do with it being machined at the factory.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Ok.  What about tthat lil spot that looks like it would have something bolted to it?  Thats exactly how it looked when i pulled the pan.  Also with the talk of not knowing what the pistions are, but that the bottom end and crank are balanced i really wanna know how far this can be pushed and what exactly it will take to get it there?

#33 Frenchi934

Frenchi934

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

thats for the oil pickup on other models of the g54b...

but what im wondering...

wt.... happened to the rod caps on cyls 2 and 4...??
Posted Image
My 89 QuestNon-oem bomber blue on light buckskin, D2 Coil-overs, Poly bushings, Tim C Screamin' Banshee Cam, Schneider Valve Springs, TD06sl2-18g(billet, revised design w/ extended tips) turbo,  M28 NJV head, 2g DSM MAF, Maf-T Gen2, Racetronix 1008/1680cc injectors, Bosch 044 Fuel Pump, Balance shafts/ ABS eliminated, Turbo Doorhandles, 83 Tails,SHP wheels, full 3" exhaust w/ dynomax straight through & divorced downpipe.
My 88 Quest LS1/T56 Swap, rack and pinion swap. [more to come]
My Starquest Club Feedback link! (post here if you have buyer/seller feedback for me)
My car on Racefriv.com

#34 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have two friends who are mechanics at a local dealer ship and i have had both of them look at it and they said that it looks like the bottom end the rods were balanced.  And from my reading and people i have talked to thats the common consensus.  When they balance the rods they have to grind them down to make the weight equal.  The crank counter weights have had the same thing done to them.  I can get some more pics if need be.  What i saw weird is the pistions are out of order.  A,c,d, then b...  Not sure if its something to do with balancing or not.

#35 Frenchi934

Frenchi934

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

ahh i see, if thats the case (and it was balanced) im sure the pistons being in a different order is part of that process.
Posted Image
My 89 QuestNon-oem bomber blue on light buckskin, D2 Coil-overs, Poly bushings, Tim C Screamin' Banshee Cam, Schneider Valve Springs, TD06sl2-18g(billet, revised design w/ extended tips) turbo,  M28 NJV head, 2g DSM MAF, Maf-T Gen2, Racetronix 1008/1680cc injectors, Bosch 044 Fuel Pump, Balance shafts/ ABS eliminated, Turbo Doorhandles, 83 Tails,SHP wheels, full 3" exhaust w/ dynomax straight through & divorced downpipe.
My 88 Quest LS1/T56 Swap, rack and pinion swap. [more to come]
My Starquest Club Feedback link! (post here if you have buyer/seller feedback for me)
My car on Racefriv.com

#36 89BananaQuest

89BananaQuest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yea, Thats what im going to assume.  That the abcd was part of the manufactuer markings and that who ever put it to gether re arranged them as part of balancing.  But what i cant figure out is the pistions....  Mitch looked at it when he came to pic up parts and said they look like his wisco's and that his had hand engraved numbers.... Any one know if this is true?  Also does any know know any thing about the number on them?  I just wanna know what i have and what i can put to them. Dont wanna get it back together and push it past its breaking point.  But i wanna be able to get the most i can from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users