Timing issue??

Nick7

well I had my original dizzy on my car.. It was boucing all over the place when I put the timing light on it.. It ran strong in first but when I hit second it would spark knock or den.. So I put another dizzy on there and set the timing 10 btdc it stays there, but now it doesnt spark knock it like fuel cut in and out.. And slow as s***.. do u think it could be fp or stock injectors maxxing out....

I have a built engine with 255 walbro fuel pump, all hard piping, steel braided lines, msd 8.5 mm wires, MSD blaster 2 coil with 19C turbo at 10lbs. of boost...and maft :(

I'd recheck the timing first. Then look for loose/disconnected hoses and lines. Next would be reading your wideband to see if you need to adjust the MAFT.

Jimmy, He doesnt have a Wideband, I told him to install one :? :?

CALIBER 308

I rechecked the timing its hitting 10btdc like it should.. check all vaccum hoses there good to go. I dont have a wideband yet. I dont have the cash for it this week. See man it ran perfect the other day no, spark knocking no den. of any kind. It would make ur eyes water it pulled so hard. then the next day I cranked it up to drive it and it started acting up.. Just dang weird....

The vaccum advance is new and the dizzy is used. i talked to me my friend that runs a dyno and he said I am not going to get it right until I know the a/f ratio on the wideband... So I am just going to leave it alone until tuesday when I can get it tuned and when I get the money I am going MPI to get rid of all the head aches of having tbi all together...

ok theres more to useing a timeing light then just seting the base timeing,,

you also test the funtion of the mechanical advance weights,, rev the engine to see if they move in stages as the rpms increases,, next use a long enought vac hose to run from the 3'd port of the 3in a row and watch the timeing as full vac is apply'd to the vac diaphram,, if it advances as it should remove the hose,,befor the dist was install'd the rotor should be check'd to see if it moves and snaps back to base when turn'd , if it don't the upper shaft assy needs clean'd and reoil'd

also the vac advance arm the unit connects to should be able to move freely in both directions befor bolting the vac adv assy down

The vaccum advance is new and the dizzy is used. i talked to me my friend that runs a dyno and he said I am not going to get it right until I know the a/f ratio on the wideband... So I am just going to leave it alone until tuesday when I can get it tuned and when I get the money I am going MPI to get rid of all the head aches of having tbi all together...

You may be in for even more headaches :) :) If you cant tune a throttle body set up with a Maf-Translator, what makes you think a MPI set up will be easier??? All your lacking in getting your Maf-T set up to work properly is a Wideband A/F Gauge :? :? :?

CALIBER 308

Nick,

If you don't understand what Shelby said about the weights etc, you aren't sprending enough time in the FSM. A dizzy is a very simple thing to work on, read the inspect/rebuild in the manual. It ain't rocket science, just takes a little time and energy to understand what you are looking at. The manual has great illustrations and is not hard to follow.

Jimmy