#21 Dodge2004srt4

Dodge2004srt4

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Is there a specific model Maft you have to get?  There is a Maf translator for sale locally for a 1st gen Eclipse and Im not sure if it will work.  I saw on their site they have vehicle specific ones and general use ones.

BTW, Ive seen them for sale but never stated which one you had to order.  Searching has gotten me no where so far.

Thanks,
Chris.

Edited by Dodge2004srt4, 08 January 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#22 Earl

Earl

Young One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:Working on my Quest and skateboarding=P
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

The translator for the 1g is the one that plugs up to our harness with minor modification to the plug. The 2g can work but you need to swap pigtails and/or splice wires. make sure it is a version 2.01 or greater=)
86 Conquest TSi (mods listed on about me page=D)
95 BMW 318Ti

Posted Image

#23 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

View PostEarl, on 08 January 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

The translator for the 1g is the one that plugs up to our harness with minor modification to the plug. The 2g can work but you need to swap pigtails and/or splice wires. make sure it is a version 2.01 or greater=)
to late for me, im running 1.3 lol
Spark plug elimination kit

#24 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned using the injector sizing with the "BASE" and "AUX" dials to fine tune their set up?  Does anyone read the instructions completely?
Posted ImagePosted Image Chasing ROUS in the Fire Swamp.

#25 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

View Postmarso, on 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned using the injector sizing with the "BASE" and "AUX" dials to fine tune their set up?  Does anyone read the instructions completely?
AUX only runs a seperate like, like for a AUX injector. it doesnt effect fuel

i dont think most people realize to richen, 2 clicks counterclockwise on the BASE richens. they lean it going clockwise lol

#26 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 21 January 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

AUX only runs a seperate like, like for a AUX injector. it doesnt effect fuel

i dont think most people realize to richen, 2 clicks counterclockwise on the BASE richens. they lean it going clockwise lol

Read the instructions again.  BOTH are used to set injector size.  the mode switches are set to a different setting to activate the purple wire for auxilary use otherwise the AUX is for injector size.

#27 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

View Postmarso, on 21 January 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Read the instructions again.  BOTH are used to set injector size.  the mode switches are set to a different setting to activate the purple wire for auxilary use otherwise the AUX is for injector size.
maybe the new one is different, but for me on 1.3

The AUX dial is used to tune fuel delivery when the AUX Trigger wire is energized. The AUX setting is
ADDED TO the WOT setting. If WOT is 5% and AUX is 5%, the when the Trigger wire is energized,
the total adjustment is 10%.

#28 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 21 January 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

maybe the new one is different, but for me on 1.3

Do you have a grid in the instructions showing different injector sizes with the "Base" setting on top and "AUX" on the left?   I had the 2 series translater but if you don't have the ability to adjust injector size how does it know where to start the mixture setting?  If you can't change it then how does it know if you have 400cc or 1000cc injectors?

#29 StarquestRescue

StarquestRescue

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • Interests:Mits owner from 1980

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Version 2.xx manual http://www.fullthrot...hread.php?t=894

Version 1.3 manual http://www.fullthrot...37&d=1093665074

Makers support forum  http://www.fullthrot...h.com/index.php

You may still be able to send in a 1.3 for a cheep upgrade to the 2.02.
2012 fall set up 20g 06  in the stock turbine houseing. 2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  379hp 395 tq TBI Power

2012 spring set up. 18g06 in the stock turbine houseing.  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 358 hp 393 tq. 12.71 @ 112
2011 set up. 18g05h,  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 307 hp 360 tq  12.78 @ 112
2010 set up. 18g05h,  2G mas, Lsp 850 / 1400 injectors. Tuned with re flashed afc Neo version 1.104 and Innovated data logging.  297 hp 403 tq.

401 / 427 TBI   Dyno link-----------TBI Power http://www.sqperform....php?topic=33.0-----------Rear Gear link----------2010 Dyno link-------Feedback link

#30 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts
  • Interests:Precision rifle shooting, Starquests, Sexy women.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

View Postmarso, on 21 January 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

Do you have a grid in the instructions showing different injector sizes with the "Base" setting on top and "AUX" on the left?   I had the 2 series translater but if you don't have the ability to adjust injector size how does it know where to start the mixture setting?  If you can't change it then how does it know if you have 400cc or 1000cc injectors?

I have both the Base and Aux set to Zero and the Mode switches 1 and 2 to OFF/OFF running a 3 inch GM MAF.Remember this: "The MAF-Translator was designed for a Four injector set up on a 1st gen DSM, not a Two injector Starquest". All I used to set it was the Idle, Midrange and WOT dials via a Wideband Gauge:

Idle setting: appox. 12.50 to 14.00 AFR.
Midrange: appox. 2000 rpms in fourth gear:14.30 to 14.70 AFR.
Wide open throttle: 11.00 to 12.00 AFR.

You have to DRIVE the car to find out what the Wideband Gauge is reading at Midrange and WOT, that is how you set the MID and WOT dials: Out on the road with the cover removed to set them!!!!Run it and read the Wideband AFRs, if there not correct, pull over and lean it out or richen it up. Start it back up and run the car again reading the Wideband Gauge. Start with the Midrange setting. After you have that dial set, move on to the WOT setting. It is not that hard to accomplish.Some of you are making this WAYYYYY more difficult than it really is.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308, 21 January 2011 - 10:34 PM.

87 ESI-R: J.E.s 8 to 1 .040 over, Tims roller cam, Roller rockers,Marnal Head(ported and polished) Scheider HD valvesprings, SS Valves,Zero bal,TDO5H 17 C, K.V., OVC HP, Turbo X/S RFL, Aeromotive FPR, 950/1150 injectors, Walbro , MAF-T, AEM UEGO, Summit dig. CD Ignition. box , Mallory 67k coil,D2s.

#31 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

View Postmarso, on 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Because they are not needed on a Two Injector set up like ours.

Bill
87 ESI-R: J.E.s 8 to 1 .040 over, Tims roller cam, Roller rockers,Marnal Head(ported and polished) Scheider HD valvesprings, SS Valves,Zero bal,TDO5H 17 C, K.V., OVC HP, Turbo X/S RFL, Aeromotive FPR, 950/1150 injectors, Walbro , MAF-T, AEM UEGO, Summit dig. CD Ignition. box , Mallory 67k coil,D2s.

#32 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostCaliber308, on 21 January 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Because they are not needed on a Two Injector set up like ours.

Bill

Not going to argue with you Bill.  No they are not "needed" the way you have them set because 0 and 0 is a specific injector size according to the scale but they do adjust the mixture for ANY injector set up because it changes pulse of all injectors on the circuit whether one or four it's all the same.  Try it you will see and it's a finer adjustment than the other three dials.  You can also change the mid and wot dials on the fly.  No need to stop and shut the engine off.  That's just for the Mode switches.  It still amazes me that people don't read the instructions completely after all the posts in this forum.

#33 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

View Postmarso, on 26 January 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

Not going to argue with you Bill.  No they are not "needed" the way you have them set because 0 and 0 is a specific injector size according to the scale but they do adjust the mixture for ANY injector set up because it changes pulse of all injectors on the circuit whether one or four it's all the same.  Try it you will see and it's a finer adjustment than the other three dials.  You can also change the mid and wot dials on the fly.  No need to stop and shut the engine off.  That's just for the Mode switches.  It still amazes me that people don't read the instructions completely after all the posts in this forum.
i would like to reply to you

AUX -  This 16 position (0-F) dial is used to adjust the airflow signal during heavy  acceleration conditions when the purple TRIGGER wire is activated.  This mode is active above 8 psi boost (approximate)
      (The AUX dial is also used for selecting the base settings)
that is a quote from the 2.xx doc (took me forever as i didnt feel like installing office)

#34 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

View Postmarso, on 26 January 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

My car runs great the way I adjusted my MAF-Translator. I have tried adjusting the Aux. and Base settings. And I have read through the entire installation instructions on the MAF-Translator. My car works best the way I have it set up now.You do it your way, and I'll do it mine.Let's take a look at your advice:

AUX: This 16 position (0-F) dial is used to adjust the airflow signal during heavy acceleration conditions WHEN THE PURPLE TRIGGER WIRE IS ACTIVATED (The AUX.dial is also used for selecting base settings.

O.K. Members, how many of you that have a MAF-Translator have the Purple Trigger wire installed?

Base: This 16 position(0-F)dial is used to set the general airflow scaling. This adjustment affects the ENTIRE operating range and is generally used to match the Translator and MAF to the selected injector size.GET IT !!! "Selected injector size" Not two different injector cc sizes.

O.K. Members, If you read the base setting on the last page of the MAF-Translator Manual it deals with a SET INJECTOR SIZE!!! Like of the same cc size.i.e.4-580ccs,4-600ccs or 4-1000ccs. Ours are not the same size unless it's a 4 injector MPI set up.This information is referring to a 1st gen FOUR injector set up,not a two injector throttle body Starquest set up with a different Primary and Secondary injector cc size.

Also, on a 2.02 how in the hell are you going to change the Midrange and Wide Open Throttle settings without pulling over and adjusting them??? Maybe you have a midget under your hood with a WALKIE-TALKIE and a flashlight to adjust the dials for you as your reading your Wideband Gauge AFRs to him :P

Before you question my advice, do your homework.I have read many a post from experienced Starquest owners who run the MAF-T and they concur with me. "Leave the Base and Aux. dials set to ZERO".

I don't give bad advice, just sound advice,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308, 28 January 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#35 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Bill you make me laugh.  I had the extension harness my MAFT was inside the car Einstein.  I guess you don't understand what you are reading in the instructions.  Here's a hint.

AUX -  This 16 position (0-F) dial is used to adjust the airflow signal during heavy  acceleration conditions when the purple TRIGGER wire is activated.  This mode is active above 8 psi boost (approximate)

MODE SWITCH:  set as follows

1 – See Table below

2 – See Table below

3 – turn ON to enable startup enrichment.

4 – OFF = MAF mode, ON = RPM mode.  (just to let you know Bill the purple wire is only triggered in RPM Mode)

And viola!! here is how you adjust the fuel curve throughout the whole RPM range (Which allows a finer tune to remove flat spots in the curve.  You set the curve first then adjust with the Mid and WOT dials)

·         Adjust the BASE knob to keep the total trim[1] between 80% and 100% during steady state driving (35-45 mph).  To lean out the fuel curve, set the AUX/BASE to a larger injector size. To richen the fuel curve, set the AUX/BASE to a smaller injector size.

Keep in mind the tuning is done with the ECU O2 sensor unplugged.  Once plugged back in the ECU will adjust for any fluctuations.

The only sound I hear from your advise is egotism.  You run yours your way.  Let the others read the directions correctly and get a better tune.

Edited by marso, 28 January 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#36 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

View Postmarso, on 28 January 2011 - 10:58 PM, said:

Bill you make me laugh.  I had the extension harness my MAFT was inside the car Einstein.  I guess you don't understand what you are reading in the instructions.  Here's a hint.

MODE SWITCH:  set as follows

1 See Table below

2 See Table below

3 turn ON to enable startup enrichment.

4 OFF = MAF mode, ON = RPM mode.  (just to let you know Bill the purple wire is only triggered in RPM Mode)

And viola!! here is how you adjust the fuel curve throughout the whole RPM range (Which allows a finer tune to remove flat spots in the curve.  You set the curve first then adjust with the Mid and WOT dials)

Adjust the BASE knob to keep the total trim[1] between 80% and 100% during steady state driving (35-45 mph).  To lean out the fuel curve, set the AUX/BASE to a larger injector size. To richen the fuel curve, set the AUX/BASE to a smaller injector size.

Keep in mind the tuning is done with the ECU O2 sensor unplugged.  Once plugged back in the ECU will adjust for any fluctuations.

The only sound I hear from your advise is egotism.  You run yours your way.  Let the others read the directions correctly and get a better tune.

I'll stick with what I and a lot of other experienced Starquest owners have done with their AUX. and BASE. adjustment dials.........NOTHING !!!!

Bill

#37 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

View Postmarso, on 28 January 2011 - 10:58 PM, said:

blah blah....blah
(blah to shorten story)
anywho, just how many people do you think have a convertor to run a rpm wire? and to continue, how many MAFT people do you know that HAVE the rom hooked to the maft?

also, bill, assuming you have a 650cc and 950cc i see the maft as idle mid, controlling a technical 4 162cc injectors, and in wot, controlling 4 237cc injectors (not that it knows theres a technical 8 injectors, but more along you tuning for it
on a base setup, it thinks your running 4 same size injectors (in our case tech. 162cc), in boost it still thinks the same though its pumping the 950 as a tech. 237cc, thats when you tune it to compensate

actually, now that i think about it, at wot isnt both injectors firing? or just the 2ndary?

#38 marso

marso

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 29 January 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

(blah to shorten story)
anywho, just how many people do you think have a convertor to run a rpm wire? and to continue, how many MAFT people do you know that HAVE the rom hooked to the maft?

Skullz both injectors are used at WOT.  The primary never shuts off.

I didn't use the RPM mode nor did I have a ROM hooked to my MAFT.  I used the wideband readings and held the throttle at small increments to determine what AF ratio the engine is seeing.  If you have mode switch 4 off it runs in in MAF mode so the purple wire is not activated and the BASE and AUX are used to set the fuel curve as noted in the instructions.  If you don't believe it turn the AUX or BASE dial while the engine is running and HOLY CRAP the AF changes.  Hmmm....maybe the instructions work afterall.  I'm just giving information no seems to be using to get a better tune and if you lucked into finding it without using the AUX and BASE dials good for you but I doubt it.  Apparently Bill knows everything and doesn't use anybody else's experience so stay ignorant I don't care.  By the way Bill I have been working on Starquest's since 1987 and a member on this board since 02.  Why don't you look at the grid and it will tell you what injector size "0" "0" is.  What size injectors are in your car is irrelevent to an extent because everything can be adjusted to fool the ECU into thinking it has a different size injector thus that's why you have a grid to tell you what size the ECU see's at a certain setting.  With all of your knowledge Bill I'm surprised you're not an engineer for Mitusbishi and have your own translator company.

Another thing your idle AF has too much swing to it if that is what it does at temp. If that is the range from cold to temp it's fine but the engine will run smoother at a lower AF at temp.  Something is wrong if it does that all the time but you know everything right?  Either your using aftermarket injectors with the wrong spray pattern or you have an air leak.  Mine stay's in the low 13 range and never goes out of it except when the engine is cold.  I'm done with this go ask the expert Bill.

Edited by marso, 29 January 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#39 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

View Postmarso, on 29 January 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Skullz both injectors are used at WOT.  The primary never shuts off.

Apparently Bill knows everything and doesn't use anybody else's experience.

If you say so :lol:  I do know enough to set up a MAF-Translator with a 950/1150 injector combination running 40 psi. Fuel Pressure without resorting to adjusting the Base dial. Also, I have a Krankvent set up. Now, the MAF-Translator Instruction Manual states that the Idle dial can be used to compensate for modified PCV (crankcase vent) and fuel pressure set ups. And it does that just fine.So,to me matching my injector set up via the Base dial to the Translator and MAF is a mute point. My Midrange and Wide Open Throttle settings are dead on via the Wideband Gauge readings.Oh hell, I also forgot to mention that i'm running a Roller set up. That alone will give you slight swings in the Wideband A/F gauge readings at idle. So, did you learn anything? If I felt that the Base and Aux. dials were needed (especially in my case with Larger than stock injectors) i'd be the first to recommend using them. To the membership: You can adjust the Idle,Midrange and WOT settings just fine by only using those three dials and a Wideband. No need to make this installation any harded by screwing with the Base and Aux.Yes, I have tried setting those dials and ended up putting them back where they belong.....AT ZERO.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308, 29 January 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#40 movin on

movin on

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

88, tdo5h18g, 650/950 trilogys, hard pipes, stock fuel pump, 3" exhaust, completely stock engine with 134,000 miles

15psi   About 45 degrees F

Base:   1
Idle:   1      13.7-14
Mid:   -1      14.9-15.4
WOT:    C      11.2-11.6

Edited by movin on, 28 April 2011 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users