This economy sucks!

helrazr70

It is now looking like I will have to sell my V8 Conquest.

My wife lost her job a few weeks ago and we are also looking at relocating to PA. I won't have the $$ to finish the car nor will I really feel like hauling 2 non-running cars as well as 2 daily drivers 1000mi if I get the position I applied for.

I have decided that I need to sell the SQ rather than the Mustang based on the fact that if I put $10k in the Mustang it's worth over $20k...but if I put $10k into the SQ it will be worth about $7k. I can replace the Conquest a lot cheaper than the Mustang. $5k will buy a NICE SQ where $5k will buy me a rusty Mustang shell with no drivetrain or interior.

My dilema is this:

Do as much as I can with what I have to the V8 car and sell it as-is?

...or do I part out the V8 stuff and sell the beautiful low mileage body separately? (NICE paint and perfect leather)

I am trying to maximize the amount I will get from it.

This sucks because I had planned to keep BOTH--but having only one income and a stack of bills due each month I can't do it anymore. Because of the possible move the wife may no go back to work for a while...

This sucks! The economy has claimed yet another job! ...and a dream project.

End Rant.

My question is WHY relocate to PA. The states in the south have better economies than the NE, so why would you go someplace worse than where you're at if you'r having troubles?

I flew into Allentown, PA 2 weeks ago and had 4 interviews for the position. I am now in the top 2 for the position and I have a phone interview with the area director on Monday for the final decision to be made. I will be with the same company I work for mow doing the same job--just in a different area.

The position is going to be based out of Reading, PA. (My wife's hometown area) If I am selected and have to transfer, I will have to start around January 1st--meaning I will have to move ahead of my wife and daughter and we have to figure out what to do with our house since we are upside down in it. We may have to rent it out until the economy recovers enough that we can break even selling it. It's only 3 years old, but appraised for $27k less than we owe on it and $38k less than we paid for it.

I figured I would have to strip my car of all it's V8 components and sell them separately. I could have it running and possibly driving with a few solid days work and a few $$. It just wouldn't have any exhaust and needing a few extra finishing touches. I am afraid I wouldn't get decent price for the body without a drivetrain. The car is beautiful and has a perfect interior. It's a SHP car with polished wheels and new tires too...

I would store it and come back later, but I may need the $$ for the move when it happens...

Edited by helrazr70

I say part it out - if the car is as nice as you say it is, I think you could get about $1000 from a rolling shell ( this being conservative, but not too much ) and then as for the engine and such, well, probably make a few more grand here and there

My question is WHY relocate to PA. The states in the south have better economies than the NE, so why would you go someplace worse than where you're at if you'r having troubles?

Dude look at some of the best cities to live in and there economies, PA has some great places and also the east coast is showing the best recovery so far.

Dude look at some of the best cities to live in and there economies, PA has some great places and also the east coast is showing the best recovery so far.

With that mindset, why relocate at all?

I am not having major troubles here. She could find a lesser paying job and we would be OK. I have a great job and I am happy here. If I stayed my house wouldn't be an issue nor would moving the cars or needing the money to move.

I am looking at relocating because my wife has decided she HATES the south and wants to move home to PA. She has become very homesick lately. It just so happened that my company had a job opening in her home town--what are the chances of that happening? (VERY slim chance since there are only 8 people in the eastern half of PA that do what I do) When she moved here with me in 2003 she was content and happy. She loved her job and all was well. Now that her job is gone she wants to move home since neither of us have family here and she wants our daughter to be close to family. It's nice to have a family support system.

So...PA is not someplace worse. It is a lateral move for me financially. She has better job prospects there too since the architecture and design industry is larger toward Philadelphia and she has job contacts from her hometown also. We would also have family to help. ...and she will be happier which in turn will hopefully make me happier--since I will then be 16 hours from my closest relative.

...the things we do for family!

It's just that losing her job due to downsizing has prompted her to want to move back home causing us to take losses during a bad economy. This is a once in a lifetime job opportunity in that there won't be another shot a job that close to her hometown. Sooo...I have to try to do this to keep her happy.

Because we all know--if momma ain't happy--NOBODY is happy. :)

I guess I could sell the polished SHP wheels with new tires for about $400

I might even sell the front seats for a decent amount too.

I would remove and sell the "A" pillar gauge pod/gauges and the double DIN CD player.

Other than that it would probably be best to leave the rest of the body/interior alone.

I could probably get $400ish for the custom V8 headers and $250ish for the new custom driveshaft.

The engine and trans should fetch at least $750

The 5.0 engine harness and computer are worth about $125

I wouldn't ever break even but I wouldn't expect to either. I may play with the numbers and see what happens.

Well, I don't know much about the PA area, but I hear all sorts of horror stories from the NE and experienced it myself in MI. I lost jobs, my house, and was on a downward spiral until we relocated to TX with a WAY better economy than what we left- especially with our job skills.

I know MI is kinda the worse of the worse right now, but if PA is doing better, then do what's best for you. I just know I will never go back north. I've never been happier in my life.

Chris I was in Nashville all this week, I should have got in touch with you. Id love to take a look at that quest as a roller. Id even go without the seats and rims. If you got some pictures and an idea what you need out of it send em to steven.myrick@gmail.com

So there is an opening at a dealership in Reading? Im working in Memphis now for Nucor Steel.

Later.. Steven

Chris I was in Nashville all this week, I should have got in touch with you. Id love to take a look at that quest as a roller. Id even go without the seats and rims. If you got some pictures and an idea what you need out of it send em to steven.myrick@gmail.com

So there is an opening at a dealership in Reading? Im working in Memphis now for Nucor Steel.

Later.. Steven

Hey Steven!

I was tied up with a problem instrument in St Thomas hospital for the last 3 days and wouldn't have been available much at all. Maybe next time?

I left Mercedes over a year ago. I now work for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics as a Field Engineer. I travel to hospitals and reference labs to maintain and repair Chemiluminescent and Photometric blood serum analyzers and robotic laboratory automation systems made by my company. It's a pretty sweet gig and the benfits/perks are great!

I don't have a lot of pics of it right now, but I see what I can dig up.

I figure if I keep the wheels/tires and front seats $1000 is a fair price. The paint is nice and shiny and there are only 2 or 3 dings in the entire body. The front bumper has a scrape mark on top. The carpet is nice and the dash isn't cracked. There is absolutely no rust on the body (except the inner front bumper support) and it has never been wrecked that I know of. It once lightly bumped the rear bumper of a truck which scraped the front bumper a little as mentioned above. I will snap a few pics in a few mins. It is extremely dusty but it still looks good... The '83 hood on it doesn't go with the car. It will have the original black hood on it by the time it goes away.

Look for an email...

Sounds like a sweet gig,, I tried to get on with Intuitive surgical a couple years ago when I was getting out of automation. I am now a Crane Electrician working on Steel Mill Cranes, 325Ton and below.. I was over at Rockwell for some training, and was staying at the Embassy Suites in Franklin. Ill be looking for an email.

Steven

I have no idea if this would help, but I'm "Facebook friends" with a member on here who is an architect. He lives up in N. Jersey, but he does work all over the tri-state area. I don't think he's on here much, but If your interested I could pass on his info. It doesn't hurt to have all the good networking contacts you can get.

I have no idea if this would help, but I'm "Facebook friends" with a member on here who is an architect. He lives up in N. Jersey, but he does work all over the tri-state area. I don't think he's on here much, but If your interested I could pass on his info. It doesn't hurt to have all the good networking contacts you can get.

Thanks. I appreciate the thought, but my wife is actually on the design side. She is an Interior Designer that has specialized in the commercial furniture industry. She is the one who works in CAD with the blueprints and specs the plans for the installers for large office buildings and similar projects.

She will want to saty close to home and I will be based out of the Reading area. My area of responsibility will be in Philly sometimes and will reach to about Harrisburg, Scranton, and down into Delaware a little.

I figure she will start networking with her old boss and through a few friends once I know if I got the position. She may try to find something admin and totally avoid going back into the A&D industry completely. We will find out when the time comes I suppose.

Thanks for the offer though. If something changes I may contact you about that.