350 HP

pc85

PS has anyone worked with Fuelinjectionpro.com?

FIP is no longer making parts. Plenty of people here run thier systems though, myself included.

a MPI-converted stock intake is as real as it gets. Can be done on a low budget.

Franks' fuel-only mpi was one of the quickest starquests to ever pass thru SQC.

Most powerful tbi cars ran stock throttle body also, so we still really can't say how "bad" these parts r.... like oe pistons for eg..

It's not even close to being a good bang for buck unless you do it yourself though. TEP wants $2895 for that MPI setup that uses the stock manifold with a F10X, or $3700 with a Tec3R. LOL

Without nitros ? No TBI hit 350 yet. Not as ez as it sounds. Read that thread again, realistic est ~310-320hp, and that's with an extrordinary level of effort/detail (camshaft).

The AC is a compressor mounting issue. Not something I would consider a big problem.

Might want to ask this guy if his clears the AC or not.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97885

a MPI-converted stock intake is as real as it gets. Can be done on a low budget.

Franks' fuel-only mpi was one of the quickest starquests to ever pass thru SQC.

Most powerful tbi cars ran stock throttle body also, so we still really can't say how "bad" these parts r.... like oe pistons for eg..

Glad to hear the conversion system isn't that crazy and people have actually had success with it, made sense to me.

[quote name=jinx' date='24 October 2009 - 03:58 AM' timestamp='1256371118'

post='958537]

Without nitros ? No TBI hit 350 yet. Not as ez as it sounds. Read that thread again, realistic est ~310-320hp, and that's with an extrordinary level of effort/detail (camshaft).

Your right, I re-read the thread and it appears numbers were too good to be true but even 320 isn't that bad. At this point I would be OK with 300+ wrhp with 2 injector or suck it up and go for MPI.

[quote name=jinx' date='24 October 2009 - 03:58 AM' timestamp='1256371118'

post='958537]

That part won't be too hard, but I think u missed his point. "350hp" can come in a variety of flavours. Tq is where u get your "Gs". Same 350hp can have 300 or 400+ ft-lbs, they won't "feel"(or pull) the same.

ETs is the playground for a true representation of acceleration capabilities.... while a peak hp number (and mph) is just something to brag about

Yeah, I get what your saying hp vs tq, acceleration/top speed but when your starting with maybe 200 or less and you jump to over 300 hps, you will feel a huge difference in all of the above regardless of time trials. Honestly from all the mods and high hps I see posted in the different clubs, I didn't think 350 was that hard to reach. Glad I opened this thread; a real eye opener and learning experience. Lesson to all: do your homework.

Thanks for chiming in

Edited by pc85

Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done. No one's ever done an e85 TBI car and made big numbers. There is at least one guy who did it, but last I checked he had head gasket problems. e85 is like 70 cents cheaper per gallon than 87 octane, but acts like 110 octane. You only need 30% more, and in some cases, less.

Start with the turbo that will get you to your goal with room to spare. You seem to already have that on lock. You can use the maf-t all by itself and probably get some great results. As for injectors, you can buy two of whatever size you could ever want. There are sizes by the 100's now, all the way up to 2000cc, so choose your fuel, then find out how much injector you will need.

I will venture to say that you will run into knock even on premium gas. make sure you have a new knock sensor on your engine, so the ecu will pull timing if necessary. If you need more fine tuning, you can always install an safc 2 or neo.

Get that turbo and start feeling more boost!

Going to start ordering parts:

Wiseco pistons .030 over bore

PTE SCM50 rated at 450 hps or a Garrett GT3076R

TB Pro 2R (if I can find it)

MAF-T (LeBeaux ?)

And 3" exhaust from down-pipe to resonator

I'll see what I can get with 2 large injectors as far as performance and drive ability then decide if I need MPI. I got a lot of info to move forward, updates will be posted on " '85 Revived ": restoration center.

Edited by pc85

If you want peak hp. I'd go with some kinda of T3 turbo, not a MHI. and get a 3" not 2.5" exhaust

And you can monitor with AEM air/fuel meter and O2 sensor. but there is nothing there to regulate with. if you are trying to keep it simple I'd get a MAF-T or something of the sort in addition to that other stuff

Like I said I'm not a mechanic, your right I can monitor with an air/fuel meter and its an Innovate wide band not an AEM, lol.

Just FYI, SCM means mitsu exhaust housing, but it's only for a DSM, it won't bolt on to the stock manifold.

I just registered with MAPerformance and contacted them directly regarding vehicle specific components for StarQuests and will definitely call when I order to ensure compatibility. Thanks for pointing out the SCM and on that note, what is DSM?

PS this why I like TEP, complete line of aftermarket parts specifically designed for tuning StarQuests. Maybe pricey but there's no guess work and its bolt on without problems.

Edited by pc85

Diamond Star Motors ex. talons, eclipses, lasers

Just Googled it and found out, I should have known, I now remember reading about the DSM venture back in the 80's and the plant in Tennessee. This is what happens when you get old. Lol, thanks for the explanation.

PS this why I like TEP, complete line of aftermarket parts specifically designed for tuning StarQuests. Maybe pricey but there's no guess work and its bolt on without problems.

LOL

I can't stop you from ordering anything from anyone, but seriously dude research the mods of other cars on this site.

Everything you need from mild to wild is bolt-on.

If you absolutely must spend big money on something, do it on the standalone and not hard parts.

LOL

I can't stop you from ordering anything from anyone, but seriously dude research the mods of other cars on this site.

Everything you need from mild to wild is bolt-on.

If you absolutely must spend big money on something, do it on the standalone and not hard parts.

I just spent most of my free time this weekend reading and researching various MAF-Ts on this blog! Guys can't figure out how to wire/tune the new LeBeaux, there's an entire thread on how to trouble shoot problems with Fuel Injection Pro(Hurricane, TB Pro 2R, etc) and here's what I read on Megasquirt: "Gotta admit, at a glance 90% Megasquirt threads read mega-problems more than anything" and I'm not sure about bolt on T3/T4s. I've been looking at those as well and looks like I would need a new exhaust manifold and down-pipe for the ext wastegate? No offense but from what I HAVE been reading on this site, it doesn't look that easy to get close to 350 wrhp with bolt ons, even bluecook's dyno run probably only got 310-320 wrhps with tons of re-grinding and tuning on the cam. So if you have any specific suggestions on easy to install and tune MAF-Ts and bolt on T3/T4 turbos, I would greatly appreciate any positive advise, that's why I'm here.

Edited by pc85

If you wont a really fun fast/quick street car then stick with a mitz. turbo. I just watched a guy with a s16g do 305rwhp this last Friday, granted he his mpi with mega squirt. But with the proper mods you can make one hell of a Tbi car. I dont make near as much power as some of the big t3t4 guys but Ill hold my own in a race. My car makes 300ftlbs of TQ by 2500 Rpms. I have another friend thats putting down 270hp 380tq on a 18g with tb2r and mega squirt.

You can do what ever you want, but if you want the big numbers then you need to go MPI. You can ask any of the big power guys and they will tell you its not easy and it not always the most dependable.

Who said anything would be easy?

It is however, quite simple.

Healthy motor, enough fuel, strong spark, big turbo, big boost, and a solid tune.

Who cares about the Lebeaux, or if it doesn't work right? MAF-T's are simple, but I feel they should be combined with a piggyback of some sort for real fine tuning. SAFC-II or NEO, Greddy Emanage Blue or Ultimate, AEM FI/C(my choice). Do people have issues? Sure. A lot of the GM MAF's also come from the junkyard.

ChrisViper made 337rwhp/387rwtq on a dinky 18g and a greddy emanage for tuning, and he ran a MAP instead of the MAF.

Megasquirt is only as good as the builder/installer/tuner. I know of cars deep into the 9's that run MS, self built units, self installed, and self tuned.

FIP issues are just like any other brand. You don't see people posting unless there's problems. I for one have had no issues with my TB-Pro2R, started up right away after install and i've yet to even look at the fuel maps they pre-programmed. A friend that used to live in phoenix(moved to florida) runs the hurricane and had zero issues with manifold fitment, he runs the fuel and ignition ECU's and makes well over 400rwhp on a T-70. He also just happens to get 33mpg on the freeway.

What kind of money are you seriously going to drop on this though? I could suggest lists of parts, but it's pointless if there's no budget in mind.

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

Who said anything would be easy?

It is however, quite simple.

Healthy motor, enough fuel, strong spark, big turbo, big boost, and a solid tune.

Who cares about the Lebeaux, or if it doesn't work right? MAF-T's are simple, but I feel they should be combined with a piggyback of some sort for real fine tuning. SAFC-II or NEO, Greddy Emanage Blue or Ultimate, AEM FI/C(my choice). Do people have issues? Sure. A lot of the GM MAF's also come from the junkyard.

ChrisViper made 337rwhp/387rwtq on a dinky 18g and a greddy emanage for tuning, and he ran a MAP instead of the MAF.

Megasquirt is only as good as the builder/installer/tuner. I know of cars deep into the 9's that run MS, self built units, self installed, and self tuned.

FIP issues are just like any other brand. You don't see people posting unless there's problems. I for one have had no issues with my TB-Pro2R, started up right away after install and i've yet to even look at the fuel maps they pre-programmed. A friend that used to live in phoenix(moved to florida) runs the hurricane and had zero issues with manifold fitment, he runs the fuel and ignition ECU's and makes well over 400rwhp on a T-70. He also just happens to get 33mpg on the freeway.

What kind of money are you seriously going to drop on this though? I could suggest lists of parts, but it's pointless if there's no budget in mind.

I don't have a specific budget in mind. I spent way more than I should have just overhauling the brakes and powder coating calipers in '08. This year I already spent over to $3 K dropping rear suspension and cleaning the undercarriage, patching rust, new Bosch 350 FP and undercoating. I am going to order Wiseco pistons for a .030 over bore, want to get the TB Pro 2R (I heard they are no longer making parts but their website is still up with onlne ordering options?), will have a custom 3" ss exhaust built locally and probably a *DM 4" I/C. All this should let the engine breath really well, 2 1025 cc injectors hopefrully without many tuning problems. My big issue is with the turbo. When it comes to turbos, this is over my pay grade so if you can suggest 2-3 T3/T4 models that can mount on with minimal to no mods that would be great. Budget is not that much of an issue but for the sake of marital harmony, ha ha ha, as long as I pace myself and keep the turbo at around the $2000 ball park that should be fine. Any suggestions for the turbo? I'm looking at a Garrett for starters.

Edited by pc85

$2K for just the turbo? Seriously?

You can get pretty much any turbo you want.

Either snag up a turbonetics manifold or talk to Chad about him building you a tubular unit.

Turbo wise, its kind of hard to say. What these motors are good for is torque, that's what makes the car fun, the horsepower is just a byproduct. Torque production early in the RPM's comes from fast spooling turbos, TBI and fast spooling kind of conflict with each other. You don't get the flow of MPI, so you have to make the turbo smaller to compensate.

Turbo's i'd look for in a TBI setup:

56-59mm units with comp A/R's around .65-.70 or so, and turbine A/R's of .80-90 or so for T3's and .63-70 or so for T4's.

As for brand, it is what it is. Do you want the extended tip turbine's, dual ball bearings or just the old school type journals?

Borg Warner/Bullseye, Garrett, Precision etc..

What he probably meant was 2000 bucks for the whole turbo setup, including hardware, manifold, downpipe, intake, oil hoses, and the turbo itself.

why spend 500 bucks on pistons, and 1000 bucks at the machine shop, when you can buy a sweet turbo for 700-800, a manifold for 300, oil lines for 50-100, and a new exhaust for 300, and drive it?

What he probably meant was 2000 bucks for the whole turbo setup, including hardware, manifold, downpipe, intake, oil hoses, and the turbo itself.

why spend 500 bucks on pistons, and 1000 bucks at the machine shop, when you can buy a sweet turbo for 700-800, a manifold for 300, oil lines for 50-100, and a new exhaust for 300, and drive it?

Actually the $2K was just for the turbo, MAPerformance sells the Garretts starting at around $1,100-$1,300, the GReddys between $2-4K and TEP's T3/T4 is $1,800. Call me crazy but this is what I'm finding on the net. There aren't many questers in this area nor mechanics that even want to do this level of work on them so I'ld be reluctant to get a cheap-off brand/Ebay model that may end up being more trouble than what its worth.

I've already done JE pistons, upgraded turbo, and 2.5" exhaust, drove it for years and got hooked on the performance until I cracked the block. Now I want to take it to the next level, may not hit 350 hp on 2 injectors but over 300 would be real sweat. So I'll keeep lookng for a T3/T4 turbo, reasonably priced that won't require too many mods and give me the max output and driveability.

Edited by pc85

Well I wish you the best of luck. You should start a project thread if you haven't already. It would be fun to see progress pictures.

"Restoration Center: '85 Revived" some pics of undercarrige refurbishing. Had to make sure it was clean and rust free before going to next phase; engine rebuild.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=TBN

$625-$1060 Journal bearing T series Garretts.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=GTB

$1190-$1250 Ball bearing T Series Garretts.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=GRT

$1017-$3554 Ball bearing GT series Garretts.

Doing a quick search of Garrett distributors, I found these guys in Lebanon, PA:

1925 State Route 72 North

Lebanon, PA 17046

717-865-3276

http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/

I looked at a couple of them, and they seem priced fairly well. It might be cheaper to get one out of state, as your local tax may be more than the shipping charge.

Also:

http://www.timsturbos.com/index.html

I saw the option on a S256 borg warner turbo to use the MHI exhaust housing versus the T3 they normally come with and an internal wastegate for $125 extra. This should allow you the use of a stock exhaust manifold(heavy porting for more flow). It says call for pricing, but I would expect it to be under $1350-1400 with the extras.

if you like i can lend my expertise to your turbo search...

Chime in any time, looking for max output minimum mods, has to put out over 450hp, T3/T4 design. Thanks for the help.