thoughts on KDM full hard pipe kit and 4"intercooler?

hello awhile back i purchased *DMs hard pipe kit and intercooler. i was promised to see a 40 to 60hp increase... i did not really notice a difference. my question is for those of you who know more about the starion then i do. Do you think the hard pipe kit is a waste? Is there any real benefit to having all these pipes? i was thinking about keeping it simple and going back to the stock intercooler and just the 2 hard pipes the one off the throttle body and the one off the turbo. i believe the pipes that came with my car were made by top end performance.

I really cant decide what to do. i really dont wanna have any *DM parts on my car but i did pay alot for the pipes months ago when i was buying all the s*** kelly was selling...thank god i figured out he is a con man and was full of s***. lol i just wanna know if the pipes are beneficial to my starion or is it just a bunch of bs that kelly sold me on.

thnaks

*apollo*

p.s does anyone else make a hard pipe kit for the starion besides *DM?

hello awhile back i purchased *DMs hard pipe kit and intercooler. i was promised to see a 40 to 60hp increase... i did not really notice a difference. my question is for those of you who know more about the starion then i do. Do you think the hard pipe kit is a waste? Is there any real benefit to having all these pipes? i was thinking about keeping it simple and going back to the stock intercooler and just the 2 hard pipes the one off the throttle body and the one off the turbo. i believe the pipes that came with my car were made by top end performance.

I really cant decide what to do. i really dont wanna have any *DM parts on my car but i did pay alot for the pipes months ago when i was buying all the s*** kelly was selling...thank god i figured out he is a con man and was full of s***. lol i just wanna know if the pipes are beneficial to my starion or is it just a bunch of bs that kelly sold me on.

thnaks

*apollo*

p.s does anyone else make a hard pipe kit for the starion besides *DM?

Great post!!!!! Hard pipes are a must have IMHO. As you get no collapse under vacuum in boost pressure. Just like mandrel bent exhaust the factory OVCP is just like a muffler shops crush bend pipe. They are usually bigger in diameter and give you better flow. Adding 40-60 HP is just crazy!!!!!! You will only gain maybe 1-2HP but in turn you will gain more stable boost and throttle response. Keep the pipes even though they are *DM!!!!

The hardpipe kit is a good investment but I don't like his intercooler. It's similar in size as the stock one just a little wider about the same height and uber thick. So thick in fact that I belive alot of the air will take the path of least resistance and flow around the intercooler instead of through it. I would rather have a larger and thinner IC for better air flow.

btw 40-60 hp increase would only be possible if you modded the crap out of your engine but still had the stock IC.

Edited by ucw458

If that were one of the only mods to your car you won't see a huge gain but if you had a larger turbo you would the stock one is just way too small. Even a stock turbo pushed up to 18-20psi is making some heat and that intercooler wil greatly help to get rid of it. If its just a stock turbo at stock boost I doubt you could tell any difference at all and in some cases may be worse because that little turbo has to fill up and pressurize that intercooler and the pipes before the intake gets to use it and it will slowly so that makes for some lag is all. On the highway under boost would be where it would be better. In town driving is hard to say, the speeds aren't that great for a time long enough to cool the core down from it being heat soaked while driving slow stop to stop. Overall it is an improvement and is a good base for adding more mods to.

Indiana is correct. With stock turbo , don't expect much at all. But with a bigger turbo AND a 3" exhaust, and say at 16psi, you will see a big differance. Exhaust and hard pipes are a must to any starquest, and should be the first mods done. That will set the platform for your other hp mods.

Franco

with a 16G at 25 PSI, maybe 20 HP. on a stock turbo at 15 PSI, maybe 5 HP.

The hard pipes help turbo responce, but that's not a power boost, just a change in the pwoer band.

To get 40-60 HP Difference, you'll need a big T-4 running 30+ PSI.

It's not ikely to hurt anything or reduce power (maybe some on a bone stock car), but don't expect much untill you put on other big power adding mods, or raise the boost a lot.

cool info guys!! well i just installed my 16g turbo and was wondering what to do with the hard pipes. i think i will keep them!!

My current mods are, 16g turbo *DM full hard pipe kit and walbro fuel pump.

I want to be in the 250 to 300hp range, but want the car to be a everyday driver as well, whats the next step in mods for me? I dont wanna be tinkering with my starion everyday but do want more power!!

thanks

*apollo*

this is a little off topic but didnt really want to star a whole new forum.

The point of having the *DM intercooler vs another brand is 1. It is a direct replacement (just barely fits) that needs no cutting of supports or changing mounts. 2. It has a much greater cooling surface than stock. I agree with the comments on the hardpipes.