Scary...

MidNiteRide89

OMG. Give me a break. The real influenza virus kills exponentially more people every year. Read some of these, then tell me whether or not you are still freaked out about swine flu. It's a media caused frenzy. The swine flu is curable with stuff you can get at your local Walgreens. The only people that really need to be worried about it are people whose immune systems are already compromised. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about this crap. The swine flu began in 1918. This is nothing new. It pops up every so often and then subsides. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Quoted from the NIAID and CDC:

Deaths from Flu: 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)

Cause of death rank: 7th leading cause of death in 1999 and 2000 is "pneumonia/influenza" (CDC)

Death rate extrapolations for USA for Flu: 63,729 per year, 5,310 per month, 1,225 per week, 174 per day, 7 per hour, 0 per minute, 0 per second. Note: this automatic extrapolation calculation uses the deaths statistic: 63,730 annual deaths for influenza and pneumonia (NVSR Sep 2001); estimated 20,000 deaths from flu (NIAID)

CNN,com article on the regular flu

Wall Street Journal article on the 2 flus

Bro, I'm not scared of the swine, lol. Hell, I'm not scared of any of the flu strains. I never get the flu shot and I never get the flu. I don't trust most vaccines on the market. I have 5 kids and when they get sick, I use mostly natural remedies. I say mostly because there is a time and place for antibiotics. Problem is that doctors over prescribe them and people want them at the first sniffle anymore.

What I meant by "scary" is the length to which the government, WHO and cdc is taking this!

It may seem extreme, but if you look back to other outbreaks and the millions of people that died, this is nothing new. Governments all over the world have done this and worse. Only reason people get worried about it now is that people know about it. I can thoroughly understand the national guard being used for security at the vaccination places. People go nuts when they think bad things are about to happen. You live in Illinois, I'm sure you've seen people freak out when a big snow/ice storm is coming. It's the same principle to me.

Actually, no one freaks out about big ice/snow storms here... though many seem to forget how to f'ing drive in them! lol

The government using the national guard for "security" doesn't bother me. The government forcing vaccinations of a known dangerous vaccine bothers the hell out of me! As we both know, the h1n1 aka swine, isn't that dangerous. So you have to ask yourself, regardless of party affiliation,

- WHY are they talking about mandatory vaccinations?

- WHY is there talk of quarantine camps?

- WHY is there talk of martial law?

Now I've never voted along party lines until I became a libertarian, so I hope this doesn't degrade into a dems vs reps debate. No matter the party, this kind of "talk" is government stepping waaay over their bounds! We're not talking small pox here, this is something that just doesn't pose that big of a threat. Our civil liberties are getting hijacked faster and faster. Both parties are to blame for that.

Both parties are to blame for that.

Quoted for truth. The only people I can understand being required to get the shots are small children and the elderly, which are more susceptible to illness as we all know. But like you said, forcing shots on people for something that isn't a big deal is an odd thing to discuss. They haven't forced any shots on anyone as far as I know so far tho, so who knows. Could just be someone talking out their a$$ or taking something out of context.

Either way, wouldn't surprise me.

I got on a mailing list from a "conspiracy theorist" a while back and I've gotten at least a dozen stories of how vaccinations will be mandatory, and how we'll all be detained, fined, put in camps if we don't get the shot. I don't believe any of it. There'll be one helluvan uprising if big brother tries to MAKE people take a side-effect-laden unproven remedy for a bug that kills less people than the regular strains do.

I've never taken a flu shot, won't take this one either, not even if they require it (but they won't).

I sincerely hope that it's nothing more than a bunch of "media hysteria"...

What got me really worried about this is when a few high schools in the Chicago area started becoming vaccination centers. The talk that circulated was that kids would be vaccinated in school without parental consent. With 4 kids in the Chicago area school system, that gets my attention. When I called the schools, they told me that there were no immediate plans for vaccinating anyone without permission. However, they also said that it was mainly due to the small supply of the vaccine that was available at the moment. When I asked for further clarification, I got the old standard, "There's nothing to worry about."

It also doesn't help that when one of my kids was out sick 2 weeks ago and we called the school, we got drilled about his symptoms. I don't mind that they asked, but they asked rather aggressively. Considering they never asked before and we know that h1n1 isn't any more dangerous than regular flu, that made me wonder why they sounded damn near panicked with this?

BTW, thanks for keeping it civil and adding a bit of humor.

I'm not going to watch the video, but from the sounds of it, you and the people in the video are going overboard with this and simply over reacting to something that is so insignificant, yet somehow important enough to post up on a car website.

And just so you know, H1N1 has nothing to do with pigs, the label swine flu is a mistake, hence the fact that no one is calling it that anymore, save for the people outside of the loop. You being one of those people.

We already have many government forced vaccines already. Think about all the shots you had to have to attend public schools, MMR, Polio, Chicken Pox, etc.

Jimmy

Quite true Jimmy. Now, go and look up the seriousness of those diseases compared to the side effects of the vaccine. Some are worth it while others simply are not. Now ask why they need to have lead in ANY vaccine? That's just one of many "ingredients" that are simply not necessary!

I know of 3 children personally that got the chicken pox vaccine and have since gotten chicken pox 3x each! Granted, they were much milder cases, but wt....? Chicken pox is only dangerous if you are above a certain age. I got it at 13 and have no long term sides effects.

I'm not going to watch the video, but from the sounds of it, you and the people in the video are going overboard with this and simply over reacting to something that is so insignificant, yet somehow important enough to post up on a car website.

And just so you know, H1N1 has nothing to do with pigs, the label swine flu is a mistake, hence the fact that no one is calling it that anymore, save for the people outside of the loop. You being one of those people.

Without watching the video your comment is taken with a grain of salt. It's not a bunch of loonies running around screaming, but rather actual clips of news reports and statements from our government and WHO about putting into place forced vaccinations. I agree that swine/h1n1 is insignificant compared to small pox, etc. So then how do you explain the government reacting to it in such a dramatic fashion?

What "loop" are you in that you say "swine" has nothing to do with pigs. I suggest you have no idea why it is now called h1n1 vs swine. Since inflection is impossible over the internet, I'll take your comment of me "being out of the loop" as less sarcastic then it reads. I'll also post up some info so you can see the facts of the swine/h1n1 name change.

Swine influenza (also called swine flu, hog flu, pig flu and sometimes, the swine) is an infection by any one of several types of swine influenza virus. Swine influenza virus (SIV) is any strain of the influenza family of viruses that is endemic in pigs.[2] As of 2009, the known SIV strains include influenza C and the subtypes of influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2, H3N1, H3N2, and H2N3.

Swine influenza virus is common throughout pig populations worldwide. Transmission of the virus from pigs to humans is not common and does not always lead to human influenza, often resulting only in the production of antibodies in the blood. If transmission does cause human influenza, it is called zoonotic swine flu. People with regular exposure to pigs are at increased risk of swine flu infection. The meat of an infected animal poses no risk of infection when properly cooked.

American agriculture officials want to change the name for the virus that's broken out in Mexico and the U.S. from "swine flu" to something else.

The problem, they say, is that the name "swine flu" suggests a problem with pork products.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack points out that the virus is not food-borne and has nothing to do with consuming pork products. He said he wants Americans and citizens of other countries to know that no American pigs have tested positive for swine flu and that it is "perfectly" safe to eat pork from the U.S.

Speaking Tuesday at a daily news briefing on the government's response to the outbreak, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano repeatedly referred to the strain of influenza as H1N1, the technical name for the virus, rather than swine flu, as health officials have previously called it.

Vilsack, speaking at the same news briefing, said he's concerned that misunderstandings could have a negative impact on farmers who provide pork products to consumers around the world. He said the American hog industry is sound and that consumers everywhere should know that U.S. pork products are safe.

And your qualifications to make such a statement is what exactly?

Nothing.

Coming from someone who is ceritified in emergency management through FEMA, at least watch the thing if you're going to attempt a logical response in this thread. The things i've seen being discussed in the past should shock even the most liberal "don't give a crap", "the gov't only helps" mentalities such as yours.

Semantics. Both labels refer to the same virus, and the only reason it is officially called H1N1 now is due to people thinking they could catch it by ingesting pork products thus having that industry up in arms shortly after the psuedo "outbreak". Your mentioning of it is only in an attempt to discredit the beliefs or thoughts of others as uneducated.

Try again.