Auto tranny overdrive downshift issue - SOLVED

hey_obie

I checked the tranny vac lines and they were fine and the modulator held vacuum. I did fine a vacuum line that went to the cruise control had fallen off. Put it back tgether and things were gretly improved. Thanks, Obie

:happy0030:

Edited by hey_obie

Thanks for the link. That's exactly where I need to start.

I think driving with over drive off is the right thing to do. Because my tranny will slip sometimes if in overdrive and getting boost (I am not trying to boost in overdrive, but it boosts when you push on the gas - like going up a hill). Which is my main problem. I think it should drop down and it isn't. Then it slips. I had the tranny rebuilt not long ago so I know the plates are good.

I'll report back once I get it on the lift.

Obie

i may be wrong but i remember shelby once saying u can do 120mph in 3rd gear with the automatic transmission..

so why do you need to boost in overdrive? lol..

The car will go into boost fairly quick just driving down the interstate in OD. It doesn't hurt the transmission. I believe Shelby is talking about hard driving in OD is a no-no.

Jimmy

I have found that you have to be easy on the pedal in overdrive if you have done any mods that the increase the horsepower. The tranny is not designed to handle the extra torgue. The solution is to modify the rear gears to change the ratio.

I almost did it but I like the gas mileage. But the car would jump off the line quicker, run through the gears quicker and most likely, the OD issue would resolve itself.