Ever buy a car without a Title???

techboy

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever bought a car without a title and what did you do? I've looked at 3 Conquest's already that have had missing title's for one reason or another. I haven't bought any, although I did pay a lawyer on the one car to track the title owner down, but she couldn't locate the person.

In PA it's illegal (technically speaking) to buy a car wihtout a title unless you do a "bill of sale" and it's a parts car. I don't know what it's like in other states. I've purchased plenty of cars before, but never anything as old as a conquest, so this whole missing title thing is new to me. I've heard there are "ways" of getting around the title issue. :o Any commentary welcome ....

I did here in CO. Had to go out and get it appraised for a bond, buy a bond, and get a bonded title. I also had to go by the state patrole office and get it inspected for the title work to be completed.

Should be able to get a bonded title as opposed to a salvage title. Its a bit more legwork but gets it legal to drive.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever bought a car without a title and what did you do? I've looked at 3 Conquest's already that have had missing title's for one reason or another. I haven't bought any, although I did pay a lawyer on the one car to track the title owner down, but she couldn't locate the person.

In PA it's illegal (technically speaking) to buy a car wihtout a title unless you do a "bill of sale" and it's a parts car. I don't know what it's like in other states. I've purchased plenty of cars before, but never anything as old as a conquest, so this whole missing title thing is new to me. I've heard there are "ways" of getting around the title issue. :o Any commentary welcome ....

In mi you can fill out a missing title form at the sec of state. But it takes FOREVER to get it and there is a bunch of red tape involved.

in Pa if you get a reconstructed title youve basiclay just deemed the car worthless. My experience if the owner says there is no title turn around and walk away, there always a reason. If the owner say thery just lost it and does not want to file for a new one in thier name there is something unsavory going on.

http://www.titlesunlimited.net/

I dont' have a title for my 68 Barracuda yet. My dad found the original owner (who the car is still titled in), and, he told me that he would rather see that car rot then get fixed, so, he will not give me the title, even though he does have it.

So, after being ticked about that, I found titles unlimited. They're based out of Alabama, and, what you do, is technically sell them the car, then buy it back from them. They'll tell you the details. But, basically, Alamabama still has a loop hole that most states don't, so, they can get you an Alabama title, then, you transfer that title to your name in your state.

There are other companies...this is just the one I know of.

Also, the fact that the Conquest is fairly new in the grand scheme of things...your looking at a couple hundred doll-hairs. For my Cuda, its like $150 or something.

I was going to do this for my parts car, since I don't have a title for it. But, its just not that important to me since I already have a Quest...so

Edited by strang3majik

if the cars were tittle'd in your state most times you can get an abandon'd car tittle,, basicly the dmv looks to see if the car has a clear tittle no leans,,and was not report'd stolen , you can apply for a tittle reasignment ,,

if that don't work any one with an auto sales lisence can apply for one even if it's an out of state car,, cost some times $200-500 depending on the spacifics,, the company is call'd Tittle recovery inc

first talk to your dmv , do not state how long you've had the car untill you find out the time limits,, here it's 2-3 yrs

depending on where you live you cant get title bonds. i have this exact problem with a car i bought a few years back where i havent received a title. i would stray away from buying a car with no title, but if you are in the position i am in where you already have the car, i would check out some of the ways mentioned above.

all i will say is this is a huge hassle since i have been trying for nearly 3 years with no luck. so buy at your own risk!

i got my car with not title, no bill of sale, no registration. all i did was go to the DMV, pay the back fees, and fill out a "statement of facts form" stating that 'to the best of my knowledge the car was legally mine, there were no bank liens, and that the title was missing.'

thats it, at least in CA

Well the good news I haven't bought a car with no title yet. I've just been finding that several Conquest's I've looked at have no title. In PA I did learn about the abandoned car route that was mentioned above^^^. According to a lawyer I spoke with, you need report the car abadoned and they place an ad in the paper w/ the VIN # for several weeks. If no one comes forward, you can claim it. You definitely don't want to do the reconstructed thing, b/c like stated above, they're not worth crap in PA. Anyway ... thanks for the all the help and input guys. I'm going call the PA DMV and see what they have to say.

i got my car with not title, no bill of sale, no registration. all i did was go to the DMV, pay the back fees, and fill out a "statement of facts form" stating that 'to the best of my knowledge the car was legally mine, there were no bank liens, and that the title was missing.'

thats it, at least in CA

If you are able to buy the cars for cheap, even for parts cars just have the seller write you a 'bill of sale, sold without title - for parts purposes only' and you're legit. If the cars are cheap and you can afford to buy them don't just let them rot due to the no title issue. There is always a way through that barrier.

Wow ^^^ you're in Q-town. I grew up in Q-town. I've never in my life seen a Conquest in Q-town. :blink: If you're talking about the red 87 on Craigslist for 400 bucks ... that car is sold. I did go look at it, and it yes it was missing the title. Nice and straight, automactic tranny in place, missing a motor.

I would definitely buy a car for parts without a title, the issue is I'm in the market for my first ever Conquest (I don't actually own one yet) to be a driver and I'd like to buy one with a title.

Looking at that 87 on craigslist? I wonder what the story is with that car.

Conquest

Wow ^^^ you're in Q-town. I grew up in Q-town. I've never in my life seen a Conquest in Q-town. :blink: If you're talking about the red 87 on Craigslist for 400 bucks ... that car is sold. I did go look at it, and it yes it was missing the title. Nice and straight, automactic tranny in place, missing a motor.

I would definitely buy a car for parts without a title, the issue is I'm in the market for my first ever Conquest (I don't actually own one yet) to be a driver and I'd like to buy one with a title.

the engine is out waiting on a 500 hp rebuild ;)