Strut inserts

Roy S

Simple - Which one is best or are they all basically the same? Mookeeh, Tokico, or KYB front strut inserts.

Tokico Blues are the stiffest. A full set is extremely hard to find...a member in MN has a set for sale, 89PalermoSHP. See the for sale ads if you are interested.

Edit: Here is the link to his sale thread http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92973

Don't be alarmed by his asking price, I spent about 400-500 for KYB's at all four corners. A complete set of these are also hard to find.

From what I have read Mookeeh's are much better than the Gabriel's, or blown struts. They may be softer than the KYB's though.

Edited by 1989Quest

do not get inserts.

period

Have you looked at your front struts? Inserts are all that is available for the front. The OEM struts are KYB inserts. The front strut has the spindle welded to it so even if you could still buy new front strut assemblies it wouldn't be cost effective or any better than inserts.

I had bad experience with inserts before, I would never ever recommend them to anyone. Maybe it was just my luck with them, still, if you can get full shocks, get them

Sounds like installer error. I've never heard of someone having a problem with inserts when they were installed properly. Use loctite on the gland nut and tighten it properly.

Yes, there is no problem with putting inserts into the front strut housing. Like ucw458 says, that is basically our only cost effective option. It is very simple. Do everything you would need to inorder to swap the entire assembly. Then remove the big nut on top of the strut housing, drain the fluid out of the housing and pull out the insert. Install the new insert, fill the housing back up with the proper amount of trans fluid (manual shows the amount needed), and put the nut back on.

However, like ucw458 said too, I managed to screw that up with my KYB insert installation. The only available KYB's are for the Toyota MR2 which are about .4" shorter. They are a direct replacement for a flatty, but not a widebody. I used some .375" thick cranksahft pulley bolt washers from 2 small block chevys. One in each side. It bolted together tight, but then somehow it loosened up. I just need to add some fender washers to fix it, which others on this site have done with success.

So to answer your question, the Mookeh coil overs or equivalent coilover set up are probably best. Tokicos next, and then the Mookeh replacement struts and KYB's are about the same.

Sounds like installer error. I've never heard of someone having a problem with inserts when they were installed properly. Use loctite on the gland nut and tighten it properly.

Oh yeah, it was a royal mess. I had that bolt welded and used loctite, kept coming out. in the end I lost about $400 for labor and struts when I had to buy full struts...

Edited by JAinsworth
Edited for profanity. You use that word again on this site and you will be banned

Oh yeah, it was a royal ******. I had that bolt welded and used loctite, kept coming out. in the end I lost about $400 for labor and struts when I had to buy full struts...

sorry man but your totally mistaken... there is no other way to replace the front struts other than replacing the inserts. the housing has the spindle attached and no one makes a replacement for it.

if your looking to replace all 4 corners 101Propose is about the only easy option. kyb no longer makes the rears and tokico hasnt for a few years at least. ive only seen 3 full sets of tokicos in the past 2 years(4 if you include mine). im sure there are more out there but they just dont come up for sale very often.

I bought me some Mookeehs.

And yes, I now remember that I wasnt able to find any full front struts and I guess inserts are the only option if the Mookeehs arnt for you.

btw, I was talking about my civic, not the quest where I had bad experience with inserts 100% on the shops failt

Oh yeah, it was a royal f*****. I had that bolt welded and used loctite, kept coming out. in the end I lost about $400 for labor and struts when I had to buy full struts...

Just for future reference this site is billed as a "family and work" safe site. Meaning keep your language clean. Most people here aren't bothered by foul language but it is against site policy. Do it often enough and it will severely annoy the moderators. Just some friendly advice.