Can't decide: 12a or 17c Turbo???

I have both and tried each on my 89'. Both seem to work well I think the 12a spools faster! I have marnal head, ported manifold 2.5 exhaust, 1g mas, hard pipes, greddy profec II and trilogy injectors. It really didn't seem to make much of a difference when I put the 17c on. Other than it didn't spool as early when I hit it. But both gave good boost.

Any opinions?? I'm familiar with the 12a but not at all with the 17c! Any one else have one?

Id stick to the 12A like you say it boost faster. Unless your willing to add more stuff to support high boost levels there will be no gains from the 17C. I would think the 17C ready to bolt on would be an easyer sale as people look to upgrade also.

give 16 a try as long as you dont spike you should be fine. I run a small 16g at 15 with spikes to 18-20 with roughly the same fuel mods as you.

ill throw this in there. If you want to be safe check you A/F with a wide band at those pressures. :idea:

Edited by Hoosierquest

give 16 a try as long as you dont spike you should be fine. I run a small 16g at 15 with spikes to 18-20 with roughly the same fuel mods as you.

ill throw this in there. If you want to be safe check you A/F with a wide band at those pressures. :idea:

She runs at stoich to one bar rich when boosting right now. I guess the quicker spooling is nice for around town and such. The added low end makes for a fun run around town! :ylsuper:

if you want to sell that 17c ill buy it off you lol

..seriously tho.. i will.. ;)

Daniel

You want fast spooling... 14g is THE fastest spooling turbo there is. Jimmy will vouch for me on that one... his red car used to have one and he let me borrow it before I got my garrett and that thing was instantaneous full boost. It was a little bit insane.

You want fast spooling... 14g is THE fastest spooling turbo there is. Jimmy will vouch for me on that one... his red car used to have one and he let me borrow it before I got my garrett and that thing was instantaneous full boost. It was a little bit insane.

How about a 20g! Anyone know how it compares?

Stick with the 17c. 12lbs is a little low, it will do better from 14 up. If the performance difference is not obvious, some thing else is wrong or the 17c is not up to par. Is the car auto or 5speed?

How should I go about checking out the turbo? There doesn't seem to be anything I can see or hear and there is very minimal shaft play if any.

Its auto. I need 3.90 gears! When I can find some!

There is the problem. Have you upgraded the exhaust and down pipe, ported the exhaust manifold and turbo inlet ect to help the turbo spool quicker and make power? With a auto you need to anticipate when you need boost and try to get on the gas a little sooner. This is not always possible.

Gears are easy to find. $50 at a u pull it to $150 shipped. Getting them set up is the expensive part. Even if you can do it your self and have a press and other tools you will still spend another $200 plus. To pay some one you are looking at $600 plus.

Where are you at? I have ever thing here to do another 3.90.

If your goals and pocket book are modest a 14g might suit you better. I would give it time though and maybe swap back and forth a couple of times, and not be to quick to sell either one. A good used turbo in hand is worth two used ones in the bush.

Edited by StarquestRescue

There is the problem. Have you upgraded the exhaust and down pipe, ported the exhaust manifold and turbo inlet ect to help the turbo spool quicker and make power? With a auto you need to anticipate when you need boost and try to get on the gas a little sooner. This is not always possible.

Gears are easy to find. $50 at a u pull it to $150 shipped. Getting them set up is the expensive part. Even if you can do it your self and have a press and other tools you will still spend another $200 plus. To pay some one you are looking at $600 plus.

Where are you at? I have ever thing here to do another 3.90.

If your goals and pocket book are modest a 14g might suit you better. I would give it time though and maybe swap back and forth a couple of times, and not be to quick to sell either one. A good used turbo in hand is worth two used ones in the bush.

I did put it in the original post that I have a ported manifold and 2.5 with no cats.

I'm in sc near savannah ga. Wish I was closer. Can't find anyone to take care of the rear for me and I'm not familiar with it. Plenty of experiance with motors not rears. I do think that with the auto a set of 3.90s would be great!

Any way I could get you to set me up?! I would trust you for sure! Just don't know how to get it done from here unless I pulled it and sent it to you! Would that work?

I was also thinking I should check the bov and the wast gate. I double checked all the hard pipes and hoses to be sure I didn't hace any leaks robbing from the turbo!

I have a 20g as well and was saving it for when I get to changing over to mpi! I still need the megasquirt, injectors, wideband and time to work on it! Just want to drive it and enjoy right now! (Although the 3.90s would be nice)

Ray

Edited by Jacob T Conquest

• 2 weeks later...

How do ya think it would compare to a 20g??? I have one and was saving it for when I get to do my MPI conversion. Maybe I could try it out for now.(as long as I don't run the boost up to high)