drifting my quest

smallblock12

ive been looking into drifting for a while and all my buddies want me to drift the quest but i dont really know what i need. i already have the eibach pro kit lowering springs and noltec front camber plates. but i wanna be low if im drifting. i will be putting non shp 8s on the front soon and im hoping i can put a 1 inch spacer on the rear to bump out the 8s flush. am i gonna need camber plates for the rear if i go lower? cause i know i need some camber for drifting. any experts on drifting let me know. thanks

You don't really NEED to be low to go drifting. It does help.

Be careful to not peg out the throttle/rpms on our cars. You'll hear something like this engine wise

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKLINKABOOM!

to rev to 7k and last you will need some wiseco pistons balanced rotating assembly 100lb valve springs mechanical rockers and a good cam ie not stock

to drift you do not need those things....look at Jason (boosted88tsi) he was drifting mech's and he is drifting the flatty with no problems, both have mostly unmodded long blocks

just make sure you have a properly maintain vehicle with good drive train mounts and a good clutch

to rev to 7k and last you will need some wiseco pistons balanced rotating assembly 100lb valve springs mechanical rockers and a good cam ie not stock

to drift you do not need those things....look at Jason (boosted88tsi) he was drifting mech's and he is drifting the flatty with no problems, both have mostly unmodded long blocks

just make sure you have a properly maintain vehicle with good drive train mounts and a good clutch

why do you need wiseco for 7 grand?

I drifted my car with just st springs. I have coils in the front now. And just springs IN the back. But that will change soon. And don't worry about power you don't need a bunch of power to drift especially if your learning. As you progress then you can start add hp mods. Focus on suspension. Since there's not alot of options springs and sway bars will do fine for now. And yes make sure your car is in good mechanical shape.

Yea Suspension is definitely key! Like stated before its also much better to start drifting a car with a small amount of HP. If you start out drifting something with High HP you wont be able to drift anything else. You wont learn the key fundamentals of drifting all you will have to do is " Power Over". One thing Ive noticed after seeing the previous owner of my car (Jason-Boosted88tsi) is its much better to have a smaller turbo because the faster the turbo spool is the better for drifting and the easier it is to break loose.

what do you mean god for about half a lap? and how are they the wrong offset when there are lots of guys running them?

the offset on those wheels is perfect. Like others said you don't need power, you need stiff a$$ suspension. $1800 in suspension work is worth way more than $1800 in motor work if your going to drift. I wouldn't run low boost, I mean 10psi should be all you need. As far as tires, get what ever you can. Try to run something decent up front if you can, but for the rears run whatever. Try to find a tire monkey to hook you up with pulloffs. Its not cheap by anymeans, but can be done on a budget. Learn to control your throttle. There is no reason to rev the $hit out of your car to stay sideways. Your not in compitition. Just learn your car.

Run high boost for drifting, spray water on the intercooler, get another little tank of water or put alchohol in it, and some windshield sprayers and just turn the pump on with a switch when you are on the track. that will cool it down!

im not worried about heat i have a big 3 core radiator with 2 big 12volt fans on it will idle in heavy traffic forever and not even reach the 1/4 line on the temp gauge

i hope you dont blow your engine. I dont think these cars like to be reved high at all.. If its not making power high up in the rpms, whats the point of revin that high. I never rev my car higher than 5000 rpms...its just pointless

your not making any power past 6k worth reving for. 5500-6100 should be where your gonna redline. youve got the goods to make in the 220whp/300wtq range so dial it in and just do suspension. and how or what a piston is made of has nothing to do with rev limit.

what do you mean god for about half a lap? and how are they the wrong offset when there are lots of guys running them?

They are the wrong offset because (see "" below)if they are 8's and they are not SHP 8's they are around a 0 offset and they are meant for the back wheels. Everyone I know running 8's up front they are SHP 8's Running 7's up front shouldn't matter as you more then likely won't be going bigger then a 225 tire up there.

i will be putting non shp 8s on the front soon and im hoping i can put a 1 inch spacer on the rear to bump out the 8s flush.

I say it will be good for 1/2 a lap because they don't like to be reved like the honda kids do pinging them off the rev limiter. I think your going to find the torq you need at a lower RPM. These cars make alot of torq and that is what's going to break them loose for you. It's also going to work well for you once you learn to feather the throtel because it's going to give you some overhead IE if you can get it loose at 3.5K you can reve it another 2.5K to keep the drift going.

Take some pics and or video for us. Be careful. Something else you might want to think about is redoing the brakes. Good brakes help in drifting for contorling it.

well i cant rev over 5500 right now im on the stock mas with an evo 3 16g at 8psi and my car like bounces of fuel cut a 5500. once i get and exhaust and put my gm mas and maft on i should be good to about 7 cause im full roller

There is something wrong with your fuel or ignition system if it is cutting out at 5500. Not saying it is making any power up there, especially at 8lbs. Why only 8 lbs? A healthy fuel system should support 15-16 lbs.

my motor only has 800 miles on it so im staying low boost till 1000. and i have already done the abs eliminationa ans have all stainless steel braided line with cross drilled slotted discs up front and axxis metal master pads. and the only reason i want the non shp 8s up front is so i can be wide and low, ill probably have to roll the fenders but i want to be able to handle some autocross as well so i don see why everyone is telling me its such a big deal when many are doing it